Fishy suggestions

SUSS8

Hey everyone,

I haven't been posting for a while but have been in the shadows looking around and admiring some people's tanks as you do.

I have a 4ft display tank and would like like to finally set it up as it has been sitting there for a few months now. It will be a low tech tank so easy to maintain with just black gravel and plants. All freshwater.

Now my question is because it is a display I would like to have some brightly colored fish but I am unsure on compatibility.

I am looking for list of what people recommend of some beautiful & compatible fish.

In return I will post up the final product!

Muss

My two favourite fish is the lacustrus rainbow and bosemani rainbow fish. They can be house with almost any fish and the male when mature, will give you that frying pan shape. GOOO the rainbows :)

Threadfin rainbows and or spotted blue eyes, both beautiful fish and pretty shrimp safe. Corydoras catfish and or a large group of Khuli loaches are also great with shrimp. Endlers are pretty and fairly shrimp safe and I also have guppies with my cherry shrimp. I would avoid gouramis and paradise fish since they predate naturally on shrimp and most cichlids are going to be out of the question if keeping shrimp in the tank.

Hi Muss

There is lots of fish that fit the bill, so long as they are small fish with a small mouth and you have lots of plants for Shrimp cover, so some young shrimp survive.

Get the shrimp going first , to build the numbers, then add fish.

As Baccus said Thread fins and Gertrude or Spotted Blue Eyes are very nice.

Galaxy rasboras are another good one, Cardinal Tetras.

There will be tons more but I can not think at the moment, just did a 12 hour day.

Bob

Coral Red Pencilfish (Nannostomus mortenthaleri)

post-12-13990985375_thumb.jpg

post-3460-139909852037_thumb.jpg

Try praecox rainbowfish, any of the tiny microrasboras, daisy's ricefish, +1 for the threadfin rainbows, + 1 for the galaxy rasboras, as relatively shrimp safe.

If not keeping shrimp, I'd suggest the medium sized rainbowfish like MacCullochs, any of the more colourful barbs, tetras of just about any type, corydoras catfish, bristlenose catfish amongst others.

Thank you for the suggestions !! I will be looking into a few of these fish and check the availability of the fish also

Any one seen the Coral Red Pencilfish around lately?

Bob

Yep, at my LFS (Auburn Aquarium) LOL.

That's why I suggested it. They also have Gold/Beckfords Pencilfish.

Small fish, super small mouth, not timid, and super active. Lots of fun basically.

The better fish shops should stock them, if not ask them to order it in.