3' Divided Tank - Repaired!

JohnH

After finding that my Yellow, Chocolate and Red Rilli Cherries were sneaking past the tank dividers in my 3' tank I decided I needed to carry out some repairs. Here is what I did:

• I re-did the silicone on the dividers
  • removed the top fixed glass panel and made lids so I can get to the centre section better
  • siliconed some fine SS mesh over the holes in the dividers (it did have cut up sponge filter in the holes before).
  • removed the undergravel filters
  • Added 4 x Bags of new Benbachi soil
  • Installed a new pre-filter with foam, filter wool and a purigen bag
  • Re-did the LED light so it now hangs instead of being fixed in place (makes it easy to move it now)

So after having the tank off line for a couple of weeks it's now back in action. I had the canister filter running in my rack system while the tank was offline, so I'm expecting to add shrimp tomorrow or Sunday.

P7260630_zps3df03ea2.jpg

P7260633_zps490ba457.jpg

• HOF Member

Looking good John expecting to see lots of berried yellows soon:cower:

There are a couple of berried yellows in the breeder box in my rack (you can see it in the second pic) so it will be very soon. :applause:

Looking really good! Can't wait to see it back in action.

Any real reason why you changed from sponge to SS mesh?

I have SS mesh myself but just wanting to know if there was any reasoning was behind it.

The sponge wasn't an exact fit and I suspected that this was another area where shrimpletes were getting between the dividers.

I moved my yellow cherries back into the tank tonight. Looks like the two berried girls dropped their babies in the breeder box in my rack system. Of course the babies escaped into the main tank with a heap of chocolate, red rilli and chameleon babies. I'll have to let them all grow a bit so I can work out which is which before getting them back together.

P7300639_zpsddd24a5d.jpg

Anyways, its good to have my shrimpies back next to my computer desk so I can gaze at them.

• HOF Member

Looks good John I have my tanks next to the computer too keep looking at them instead of the computer:encouragement:

Looks awesome dude, love the mini pelia! Thanks for sharing :victorious:

Tank looks great John!! Great work!

My tanks are also int the study. I haven't actually turned the pc on in 6 months...

Love the plant mats! Mini pelia you say? I'll have to track some down :)

Awesome dude, some sexy shrimp there, thanks for sharing :encouragement:

They spent a couple of days in the post so they are a little stressed. I fed the Cherries thinking the CRS wouldn't eat just, but the CRS ended up stealing all the pellets. So I dropped a couple of extras in for them.

• HOF Member

I don't know how stressed they get, my little present from Dean jumped on top of one of my shrimp - I thought he had mated with her but can't see any berried girls- and then sat on her for a while within minutes of being released

• HOF Member

Gee I hope my eyes didn't deceive me I know someone moulted the night before and she came along strutting her stuff and wham bang thank you Mam;)

I have all my babies back in their tank now.

Left Section - Red Rilli Cherries

Middle Section - Chocolate Cherries

Right Section - CRS, Yellow Cherries & Chameleons

P8010683_zpsb7d7a0ac.jpg

I have some CBS coming next week and they will go into the left section. I haven't worked out what else I might put in the middle section with the Chocs yet. Maybe keep that for Crystal culls.

I've been trying to get some good shots of the CRS now they have coloured up, but the the little buggers won't sit still. I managed to find this one that wasn't blurry amongst the shots.

P8010681_zpsc0038ff3.jpg