Sign in to follow this  
DG17

Are weekly 10% water changes needed for my WP?!?

DG17

I know we have gone over this topic a thousand times but just looking at your views on something guys :)..

I have been doing 10% water changes every Friday (RO/DI water that i add salty shrimp to get an EC 160 to bring tank EC down a touch) on my shrimp rack as my EC use to creep up with the amount of mineral balls in each tank.. I now have reduced it to 6-7 mineral balls per 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank and EC seem to have stayed stable since last Friday.

My wp are

EC 210

PH 6.3-6.45 (dupla ph controller without co2 bottle to monitor ph :) Overkill I know)

Ammonia 0

nitrate 0

nitrite 0

KH 0

GH 5

So with that info here is my question. If my EC doesn't creep up and ammonia,nitrite and nitrate stay at zero is there any point of a weekly 10% wc or should I reduce to 5% weekly or even just do RO/DI top ups seeing as everything is exactly thesame as when I did my wc last fri ? :)

Just trying to keep water as stable as possible for my TBs, CRS, CBS as some are buried and some just dropped babies this week.

BlueBolts

Those WP looks great. TDS <200 would be best, as I've noticed improved shrimplets survival. There's many different successful WC practices, and I do a 5-10% weekly WC.....

shrimpstan

Top ups should suffice. Once u have many little shrimplets and ur feeding powdered food for them like biozyme u may notice small flutuations in ammonia. Continual top ups with the odd 5% WC will take care of everything as long as its dripped in slowly. Mix ur RO with approx half the tanks EC and everything should stay stable. If u mix ur RO with the same EC as ur tank u may notice the EC rise.. confusing but thats how it seems to work. But better just to check. Remember u can always add more salt but u cant take it back out ;)

Goodluck mate :)

shrimpstan
Those WP looks great. TDS <200 would be best' date=' as I've noticed improved shrimplets survival. There's many different successful WC practices, and I do a 5-10% weekly WC.....[/quote']

Looks like his TDS around 100? Or is it the other way around? I use TDS myself too :p

jayc
Looks like his TDS around 100? Or is it the other way around? I use TDS myself too :p

Yeah,

EC = 210, so TDS is roughly 100.

That should be ok.

BlueBolts

Oops, didnt see it was EC... Using the same convertion to mine (0.67) my EC is approx 300. And your TDS is 140....which is good. Many noted successful of TDS between 120-300....

DG17

Yep I try to keep my EC between 200-210 and have been finding it easy for the last few weeks..

Ill stick to 5% a week I think. And see how we go.

Thanks everyone..