Tank divided with flyscreen need advice

BiGGiE

Hi all

I have set up a new breeding setup and used flyscreen available from Bunnings.

Only now realising that the flyscreen may still allow shrimplets to pass trough...

What should i do? The tank is already cycling so was hoping to not disturb that too much

Window cutouts are 12x12

Any help would be much appreciated!!

thanks

I believe that the fly screen is not safe, it might be rusted which is not good. Anyway, better to use stainless steel mess which has been discuss some where in this forum rather then using fly screen. This is from my opinion.

As Squiggle said, if u can remove the divider, take it out and replace. Or u can move these shrimplest when they grow to bigger size :encouragement:

i had a tank like that a while ago.. and i used it for crs on one side cbs on other.the shrimplettes did get through regularly although the adults didnt get through, so i would just constantly catch them and put them back into there sections until they where too big to fit through..

it was easy though because they where red on one side black on other..if i couldnt tell the difference it would of gotten really messy..!

Unfortunately dividers arent removeable and fly screen has been siliconed in...

if its unsafe id rather remove it before i put shrimp in but will fresh silicone ruin my cycling process at all?

im wanting to breed cbs so dont want the different grades getting mixed up

but is flyscreen definately unsafe and harmful to shrimp?

I believe that the fly screen is not safe' date=' it might be rusted which is not good. Anyway, better to use stainless steel mess which has been discuss some where in this forum rather then using fly screen. This is from my opinion.

As Squiggle said, if u can remove the divider, take it out and replace. Or u can move these shrimplest when they grow to bigger size :encouragement:[/quote']

Most flyscreen i believe is nylon. So if yours is nylon mesh you should be safe.

As for the holes being too big...you can double up on your nylon mesh.

Empty out the tank of water, pat dry the dividers, silicon another nylon mesh on top of the existing one.

good luck.

What type of flyscreen is it? There are a few different types from plastic to various metals.

Was thinking of doubling it up or whether just do it right and use ss mesh

they mesh i used was stiff and not soft so is that nylon or not?

Take a photo if you can, do you have a label or invoice?

It doesnt have a label on it and ive lost the receipt as i bought it awhile ago!

Ill try and get a photo but im dealing with torn ligaments in my ankle atm

so ill see if i can reach it lol

Thanks for all the replies btw much appreciated!! Its the true skf spirit!

Most of the fly screens available are a coated fiber, like fiberglass strands. If you do want to just put some more over it I would suggest you do the second sheet at 45° to the first sheet to increase the area that it covers, also you want the second layer to be hard up against the first layer so the shrimplets don't get through each layer separately :encouragement:

Try uploading it to photobucket, then copy & paste the %7Boption%7D code :victorious:

Thanks squiggles forgot i even had a photobucket account lol

saw some great photos of my previous fish keeping days!!

i use aluminium in fish tanks without problems..

but im not sure about shrimp tanks sorry :crushed:

Thats a bad thing isnt it?

where does everyone buy there ss mesh?

try PM Dean he has a place he gets it from or you could get some from fleabay just search for stainless steel mesh or you could even use the cross stitch plastic mesh/canvas, they come in all different colors and holes sizes and 100% safe.

Thanks Chi

can anyone confirm though whether this divider would actually be harmful to shrimp?

I have seen them used in fish tanks but as you said better to do it properly first time round! Doesn't cost a whole lot and will save you the stress/headaches later on. Wish I listened to my own advise when I started as I did get in a lot of problems rushing and not doing things properly...will only cost you $$$ in the long run if not done properly

So no go with Deans supplier of mesh as they only sell by the sheet and i only need 2 pieces 15cm x 15cm

might try fleabay but which weave am i after? Want it to be fine enough to stop shrimplets but not effect flow too much

thanks

And yeah Chi ive learnt from my lessons in the past so i am doing as much as i can for the odds to be in my favour!

I have some 40 grade and am finding some shrimplets are getting through.

Recently upgraded to some 80 grade on an overflow to try out and it has been running now for over a month and no blockage. ( the tank has duckweed also)