Need advice!

blackcat

Just had an offer made for 40+ crs shrimp for $200 now this has put a bomb under my butt to set up the chrystal tank in my rack... so my question is arrrrgghhh how do I set up the tank ... and what soil does everyone recommend and where is the cheapest place to get it...???

Could i also use the water from one of my empty but cycled tanks to fill the top tank? Would this allow the tank to settle more quickly? As in allow shrimp ti be added quicker

Will the shrimp soil buffer ok ?

Also will it work using a hang on filter on these cbr/cbs tanks??? Im thinking fluval brand

Any help appreciated.

Hey Blackcat,

its too easy to be tempted in this hobby!

when you say empty but cycled tank, how long has it been empty and have you still had the filter running on it? If it has been sitting idle and unfitted for a long period the water can stagnate.

if you use a cycled filter, or established filter media in new filter, and water from an existing tank it should be quick to be ready.

i have been using benibachi on all my shrimp tanks, not the cheapest but great buffer. Most of the forums sponsors sell it and deliver quickly, Boss had it to me overnight.

Good luck, maybe ask if the shrimp can be held for another week, give you a chance to get set up!

cheers

Hang on filter would work, just need the filter intake covered so shrimplets don't get filtered!!

depending on the filter intake pipe you can get mesh covers or sponge covers. Again, the sponsors sell them, Aquakitz sold me mine!

Also, what size tank? It's will help you figure out how much soil!

I just read your tank thread, you could maybe use 5-10% of the water from each of those shrimp tanks to get you started as another suggestion. And use rain water or RO to fill from there.

Hey Blackcat' date='

its too easy to be tempted in this hobby!

when you say empty but cycled tank, how long has it been empty and have you still had the filter running on it? If it has been sitting idle and unfitted for a long period the water can stagnate.

if you use a cycled filter, or established filter media in new filter, and water from an existing tank it should be quick to be ready.

i have been using benibachi on all my shrimp tanks, not the cheapest but great buffer. Most of the forums sponsors sell it and deliver quickly, Boss had it to me overnight.

cheers[/quote']

Thanks for the reply :-)

The tank is currently being filtered as it was being prepped for rcs shrimp varieties.

I just need the soil ... I hear a lot if ppl are going for ada? Is that true? ?

How muchnis 9L of substrate and ho we much will I need for a 84L tank. Tank is 40x 60 x 35

Hang on filter would work' date=' just need the filter intake covered so shrimplets don't get filtered!!

depending on the filter intake pipe you can get mesh covers or sponge covers. Again, the sponsors sell them, Aquakitz sold me mine![/quote']

I have sponge covers for the inlets :-)

Thanks for the reply :-)

The tank is currently being filtered as it was being prepped for rcs shrimp varieties.

I just need the soil ... I hear a lot if ppl are going for ada? Is that true? ?

How muchnis 9L of substrate and ho we much will I need for a 84L tank. Tank is 40x 60 x 35

10 litres of benibachi should work! Not sure on Ada, will have to let others comment there!

if the tanks already been filtered and water parameters are good you should have CRS swimming about before you know it! They are great shrimp, I love the red in them!

all the best!

I have the same sort of setup I'm starting, a completely cycled tank with completely cycled filter. What I want to know is, if I add Benibachi today can I put CRS in tomorrow as long as the PH is right, or will the Benibachi undergo some sort of new cycle with ammonia etc.

In my experience, if your tank is cycled, there's no issue with adding benibachi soil, and shrimps 1-2days after. Just need to ensure you check your WP, and WC's if necessary. My new rack had shrimps in it within 2days with a cycled filter. But with benibachi soil only..... Just need to check your WP, throughout the 1st 1-2 weeks.

In my experience' date=' if your tank is cycled, there's no issue with adding benibachi soil, and shrimps 1-2days after. Just need to ensure you check your WP, and WC's if necessary. My new rack had shrimps in it within 2days with a cycled filter. But with benibachi soil only..... Just need to check your WP, throughout the 1st 1-2 weeks.[/quote']

Thanks for that, it's exactly what I wanted to hear, I didn't exactly look forward to waiting weeks for this stuff to settle down. I bred Saltwater Fish within a month after getting water out of a creek so I didn't want raising shrimp to be harder than that.

I've got hundreds of gallons of cycled water and loads of cycled filters, so now I just need to get some Benibachi.

Ok well I received a gift from another shrimper today :-) Dan ur a GEM ... A FULL buccket off Ada Amazonia... thing is I put it into the tanks as gentle as possible but the tanks were already running with a cannister .... well im sure u can guess ... yep it looks like mud. .. any advice on making it clear up thats shrimp safe specifically crs?

You can only wait untill the soil settles to the bottom. Did you ask how old was the ADA soil???

You can only wait untill the soil settles to the bottom. Did you ask how old was the ADA soil???

It was only used just on 2 mths :thumbup:

It was only used just on 2 mths :thumbup:

Only 2 months, you hit the jackpot Deniz :)

Only 2 months' date=' you hit the jackpot Deniz :)[/quote']

I know right . Im so stoked ... crs c b s here I come

If you don't have a cooling unit for your crystal (chiller or air con) , don't go over board on your spending as summer is only a few months away and summer is the hardest season to breed shrimps or kkeep alive.

Im planning to install a chikler before the summer hits ;) thank god I have a cool house that rarely heats up badly

That ADA soil is OK, but if you disturb it, it clouds up the tank badly. I've swapped the ADA soil I had in my divided tank for some benbachi.

That ADA soil is OK' date=' but if you disturb it, it clouds up the tank badly. I've swapped the ADA soil I had in my divided tank for some benbachi.[/quote']

Oh I learnt that the hard way .... I puut it in with water in the tanks and its still cloudy this morn but as it was free im persisting

Awesome stuff Blackcat, you're on the right track to have some sexy crystals, well done! :victorious: