Green Velvet?

ineke

• HOF Member

I have been watching my rili tank and found a male and female that have a green tinge instead of blue- I asked hubby to have a look and tell me what colour he thought a shrimp was and he came straight back with green without me telling him. Here are a couple of photos in one there is a Red Rili blue gene male near the green male -the blue on the red rili is definitely different from the male on the heater which I think is green. They are in the same tank so WP's don't count as they are the same. The colour is not stress related because they have been this colour for a while. What do you think? The female doesn't show up her colour very well but she has the same green colour as the male

2013-07-21110240_zps4d1d774e.jpg

2013-07-21110157_zpsc4913d4f.jpg2013-07-21105737_zpsb0ee991c.jpg

Looks like you have to tell your hubby another tank is needed for selective breeding :) it just never ends

• HOF Member

I have spare 30cm cubes x2 so that's not a problem:D I just want to see what others think .I have caught them out and put them in a breeding net in the tank they came from until i decide what to do. They come from Dean's Blue gene Red Rilis. I haven't done any proper selective breeding and will need to think carefully about whether I actually want to go down this path but I guess sometimes a curve ball is thrown at you and maybe I should go for it?? I caught the male and a female but the one I originally took the photo of has a saddle and I don't think the one I caught has- will look at some more photos I took otherwise there are 3 and I need to catch the saddled girl.

2013-07-21120325_zps8d0bbdf4.jpg

A good start to a green breeding programme Ineke, I have about seven ranging from a little paler to a shade or two darker that I have started a programme with. Mine stemmed from a mixed bunch of wild types bred from rilis, chocolates, yellows and reds so I don't know who are the parents . I have two girls berried ATM so just waiting the outcome. Good luck with the programme

Wayne

• HOF Member

The difference here is that I know the line these come from and the others in the tank have the same conditions. They are not from yellow shrimp and may be a natural " sport" . It's only a matter of breeding them together and seeing what happens its great that they are a pair and she is saddled. These are from Dean's line so I doubt anything other than Rili is in the genes. If they breed more well and good if not nothing comes from it all ive lost is a bit of time and effort. I will set up a tank for them and see how they go.

• HOF Member
A good start to a green breeding programme Ineke' date=' I have about seven ranging from a little paler to a shade or two darker that I have started a programme with. Mine stemmed from a mixed bunch of wild types bred from rilis, chocolates, yellows and reds so I don't know who are the parents . I have two girls berried ATM so just waiting the outcome. Good luck with the programme

Wayne[/quote']

Thanks Wayne lucky they are a pair!

I've had a few "green" cherry's pop up but they produce lots of wild type. Hope you have more success.

• HOF Member

Thanks BB It's a bit of added excitement not knowing what will happen. Hopefully being a pair they will breed for me and we shall see what happens. I'm setting up the cube ready for them and if they don't produce anything nice I will try my blue chocolates in there. Nothing ventured nothing gained so give it a go.!!!I knew the cubes wouldn't be out of service for long and I've taken the sump out so more floor space and no escapees- famous last words

• HOF Member

Well lets hope in the next few weeks my females look like yours. I guess if we can breed them true the next step would be to intensify the colour. If mine breed and they have the green colour would you like them to go with yours? I would be very happy to give them to you. I'm a bit worried that I don't have the experience to do them justice?

Thanks BB It's a bit of added excitement not knowing what will happen. Hopefully being a pair they will breed for me and we shall see what happens. I'm setting up the cube ready for them and if they don't produce anything nice I will try my blue chocolates in there. Nothing ventured nothing gained so give it a go.!!!I knew the cubes wouldn't be out of service for long and I've taken the sump out so more floor space and no escapees- famous last words

Exciting to think you may have a new color strain ineke. Worth giving them a couple of generations and see what happens. Yay, another tank!!!

• HOF Member

Thankfully I have those spare cubes and one is cycling now. The pair are in a breeding net in their tank with a lid hopefully to stop them getting out until the tank is ready . Shouldn't take long as the filters, substrate and 3/4 of the water are from cycled tanks. I can't believe the luck of getting a pair first up:encouragement:

Well lets hope in the next few weeks my females look like yours. I guess if we can breed them true the next step would be to intensify the colour. If mine breed and they have the green colour would you like them to go with yours? I would be very happy to give them to you. I'm a bit worried that I don't have the experience to do them justice?

thanks ineke, but we need a few generations, prove the geno, and we should really then share/swap them, as more hobbyist on them the better. It's a long road though, and will only come with luck and patience.

• HOF Member

No worries BB Im happy to give them a go and see what happens. May need some guidance down the track if they do breed as these two would be from the same parents and I don't know who they are:encouragement:

Ineke, think you need to give yourself a little more credit! You are experienced and will do very well with them!

Ineke' date=' think you need to give yourself a little more credit! You are experienced and will do very well with them![/quote']

+1, without a doubt

• HOF Member

Thank you both I will give it my best shot::encouragement:

You can do it!! I want to see green cherries from you, I know you can :victorious:

• HOF Member

thanks Squiggle -the cube should be ready tomorrow all the Wp's are OK just waiting for the heater to do it's thing. the shrimp are in a net breeder so she can't get berried to anyone else. we shall wait and see what happens:encouragement:

Hmmm look very similar to mine that changed colour when they arrived here ... they were blue in the original oeners place but are now greenish ... watching very interested :-)

• HOF Member

A few people have bought " green" shrimp that changed in different water conditions. These have been in this tank from birth but I only noticed them because they are bigger now - they blend into the plants very well. They will be shifted into

a " new " tank probably tomorrow if it is ready so although the water is almost identical it will be interesting to see if they change. The photo doesn't show the colour very well they look a bit yellow in it but they are a definite green .