shipping shrimp in a bottle

neosin

Hi guys/gals,

need some advice about sending shrimp in a bottle...

I sent some shrimp recently double bagged kitz and the buyer said they leaked!!!

I double bagged + bubble wrap + put them in a hard chocolate container + bubble wrapped + hard box!!!!

After this experience, I will never use bags again!

From now on I will switch to plastic bottles as they seem to not leak even if I chuck the bottle on the ground lol!

My question is: How long will oxygen last for cherry shrimps in a standard 375ml bottle?

+ if anyone has experience posting in standard spring water bottles please share how you do it :)

If no one knows, I will sacrifice a cherry to see how long he will last :(

was it a big leak or just a bit of water? maybe the bags were just wet when you packed them.

With a bottle it really depends how much stock you are putting into the bottle and the ratio of water : air in the bottle.

was it a big leak or just a bit of water? maybe the bags were just wet when you packed them.With a bottle it really depends how much stock you are putting into the bottle and the ratio of water : air in the bottle.
dunno' date=' buyer said half of the shrimps died and auspost said it was damaged
have a read of this for the best/safest way to send shrimp.plastic bottles are hit and miss. http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/304-BossAquaria-How-To-Ship-Shrimp-successfully-100-Live-arrival-guarantee
Because of oxygen? Because if I put the bottle in a box with foam/bubble wrap then there is no chance of it leaking unless it gets run over by a truck lol!Anyhow, I'm going to conduct an experiment with shrimp in a bottle with airstoned water rich in oxygen and see how long they will last. Will post pics and results on the weekend :P

Did the buyer show you any pics or did you just take their word for it...the thing with bottles is that the shrimp will be swished about as in a bottle you will not have it full of water as it will need some oxygen since the bottle is not breathable like the bags, this in turn will stress the shrimp especially the way the posties treat our parcels. I have sent in Kordon Breather bags lots of times and have never had any burst on me yet (double bagged for insurance) nor have I heard Kordon Bags (when double) burst.

Did the buyer show you any pics or did you just take their word for it...the thing with bottles is that the shrimp will be swished about as in a bottle you will not have it full of water as it will need some oxygen since the bottle is not breathable like the bags' date=' this in turn will stress the shrimp especially the way the posties treat our parcels. I have sent in Kordon Breather bags lots of times and have never had any burst on me yet (double bagged for insurance) nor have I heard Kordon Bags (when double) burst.[/quote']

I took their word for it since they weren't expensive.

As per above, I will conduct an experiment for everyone lol! I will airstone a bucket of water for 30 mins which should saturate it with oxygen and then use that water to fill a bottle all the way up to the top and see how long a shrimp will last in there :D

Ive just shipped mine in a bottle as i remember my first shipment from Ace came in a bottle and heard a few times of kordon bags breaking. I also wrapped mine in bubble wrap and put wadding and newspaper for insulation and protection. I also put a far amount of moss too.i filled the bottle maybe around 85percent of the way. I tried to put in express bag but the polystyrene box didnt fit so box went as usual with express tape all over it.the lady at aus post said she will put fragile on it. I will let you know if sny problems as this was the first time i have dhipped shrimp

Did you leave any air in the bags?

Im also yet to hear of/ have an issue with kordon bags. Seem to have heard a few stories of kitz bags leaking, maybe a bad batch?

I used to use plastic bottle as well but I moved on and been using Kordon bags since. I used Kitz bag few times but had 3 bad incident from it so I stopped using it.

Ace

Bottle method is very effective if you know how to package it correctly. Its winter and we should do as much trading and growing shrimp as possible because in summer it is much harder to send.

Unless you know what you're doing, I would not recommend shipping in bottles.

I've always used Kordon bags and never have any issues.

Recently I received a shipment in a bottle from a private breeder.

All shrimp arrived DOA!!.

Luckily for me the seller was a decent person and it was all resolved quickly and painlessly.

Just my 5 cents

I have received a shipment with 2 Kordon bags in it - one of which had popped a seam.

I have twice received shipments of shrimp in bottles both with casualties. I use kordon bags and if they are packed properly you will never have a problem.

Just wanted to let you know the buyer that bought my shrimp had none doa.guess kordon bags are higher quality that kitz bags?

For all those with doa in bottles can u please tell me the following

How big bottle

How many shrimp

What kind if shrimp

Shipment time in days

Also same goes for ones that successfully received bottles

Thx

I would just do as the top breeders (Dean, BB) do and they all use Kordon bags, if there were a better way I am sure they would use it as a lot of their shrimp aren't the cheap type, they have many many years of experience so they should know best. If bottles were the best method then I am sure they would not be spending extra on the bags.

If you were to do a poll on best way to ship I am 100% positive the Kordon bags will be at top with a huge margin

I have had 5 shipments in bottles, yellows, CBS & CRS, a couple of the 15 yellows,who had moss to cling to, were DOA but the bottle was not filled to the top.This was overnight shipping.

The others CBS & CRS all came with a small amount of moss for the shrimp to hang on to & was filled to the very top. 15 shrimp in each. The bottle was a wide mouth iced tea bottle very well sealed with duct tape around the lid wrapped in lots of bubble wrap & placed into the express post bag. Using a lot of bubble wrap stopped any movement of the bottles. 2 were overnight & I took 2 days. All the shrimp arrived alive in good condition.

The other bottle shipment was DRN shrimp with too much moss & there were a few DOA's.

The 2 times I have had shrimp shipped in the breathable bags I have had a problem with the bag splitting.

I have wondered if it could be the change in air pressure on the flight as express are generally flown? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

I have had 5 shipments in bottles' date=' yellows, CBS & CRS, a couple of the 15 yellows,who had moss to cling to, were DOA but the bottle was not filled to the top.This was overnight shipping.

The others CBS & CRS all came with a small amount of moss for the shrimp to hang on to & was filled to the very top. 15 shrimp in each. The bottle was a wide mouth iced tea bottle very well sealed with duct tape around the lid wrapped in lots of bubble wrap & placed into the express post bag. Using a lot of bubble wrap stopped any movement of the bottles. 2 were overnight & I took 2 days. All the shrimp arrived alive in good condition.

The other bottle shipment was DRN shrimp with too much moss & there were a few DOA's.

The 2 times I have had shrimp shipped in the breathable bags I have had a problem with the bag splitting.

I have wondered if it could be the change in air pressure on the flight as express are generally flown? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers[/quote']

You may want to add the brand of the breathable bags used as there are a few different ones around...also were they double bagged or just a single?

Both times the bags were Kitz. One was only single the other was in a ziplock bag.

I've used Kordon Bags for 3+ years, and only once has the bag's failed, BUT I'd suspect it was due to loose packing. Kordon bags needs to be secured , so that they don't tumble, and move within the foam boxes/containers, as this would cause pressure/stress on the areas of the bag, causing it to pop/rip. Using bubble wrap, wool...etc is what I generally use to fill the gaps.

Recently ran out of kordon bags, and use a plastic bottle, but had it sent via platinum, and no issues.

Both times the bags were Kitz. One was only single the other was in a ziplock bag.

They bagged the breather bag inside a zip lock? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the breather bag...

I took their word for it since they weren't expensive.

As per above' date=' I will conduct an experiment for everyone lol! I will airstone a bucket of water for 30 mins which should saturate it with oxygen and then use that water to fill a bottle all the way up to the top and see how long a shrimp will last in there :D[/quote']

Standing water is saturated with oxygen as is, water at 20 degrees is around 10ppm oxygen and unless you can alter the concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere it will stay that way, you will not be able to get anymore oxygen into the water with the air pump unless you have a bottle of compressed oxygen around. The issue with filling the bottle to the top is that any carbon dioxide that is produced will not be offgassed, hence the oxygen that was in the water is wasted on producing carbon dioxide. This oxygen is then depleted and there is no air bubble reservoir with which to replenish it. The shrimp will die quickly. Make sure you purge your shrimp if you do intend to send them this way.

Just for the record, all plastic is permable to air like the breather bags. But the rate at which the air goes through a thicker walled plastic is ridiculously slow. That's why sniffer dogs still smell drugs sealed in plastic, that and contamination of the surface with residues.

I put mine in 600ml bottles

10 shrimp in one bottle and 5 in another

Cbs and cherry

One day.

Advised to ship in the evening by other experience sellers so shrimp arent left for too long to be transported