shipping shrimp

staphjermz

Hi everyone. I sold my first lot of shrimp today however forked out heaps on postage due to lack of experience. I was just wondering what people use to ship shrimp, how much they charge for shipping and where are the best places to get supplies? Would most appreciate it.

The best way to ship (value wise) would be through Australia Post Express Post Satchels either 3kg or 5kg (Platinum Post for extra assurance), ensure you have your Kordon breather Bags which can be bought from Bossaquaria and styro box which will fit in the satchels can be purchased here http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/3844-WA-Members-Poly-Foam-Box.

Also read this thread to ship shrimp with min casualties http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/304-BossAquaria-How-To-Ship-Shrimp-successfully-100-Live-arrival-guarantee

Hope this has helped

Oh thank you! I did put shrimp in a polysterene box which dean sent my shrimp but didnt fit in 3kg express satchel.

Oh thank you! I did put shrimp in a polysterene box which dean sent my shrimp but didnt fit in 3kg express satchel.

A tip if the satchel is just a bit small for the box is cut the satchel up and wrap it around the box like you would wrap a present. As long as it doesn't go over weight wise it should be fine! I have sent many this way...If the box is much larger then I would go the 5kg satchel

Thanks so much for the tip.much appreciate it. So you just cut the bag and tape around box?

Thanks so much for the tip.much appreciate it. So you just cut the bag and tape around box?

Yep just make sure the address/barcode/signature etc is showing clearly...

Really appreciate it. Really learning from my mistakes

I had the same issue. Aus post have changed the sizes of the satchels. You can still get the larger size 3kg from some aus post outlets but you have to by ten as they have been classed as a business size, it works out cheaper per satchel in the end.

Cheers mick

So how much do you normally charge for postage?

So how much do you normally charge for postage?

Usually charge $20 for 3kg satchel and $25 for 5kg satchel (with all the packaging material as well) is the norm....

One overlooked thing is, starve the shrimp for 2 days so they travel empty gut = no poop in the bag = less Ammonia = way better survival.

As I have said before I had one lot go missing for 17 days and only lost 40 out of the 100 when it got back to me.

Bob