Hi guys as the title says I wanna start breeding shrimps

now I have the tanks 3f or 4f I put measurements later

i have got

fish tank currently guppys fancy tail, black windows, etc

Heater

airpump

gravel

driftwood with pplants

aquaone filter 1200l per hour and my water is crystal clear I change 1 a year the filter and the other staff

and all water parameters are all ways the same trhu the whole year.

and that's it

Now should I take gravel out?

Should I take everything out?

Do I need co2 for the shrimps ?

can I use the fish water or need to put brand new water or everything from scratch?

sorry guys just got so many question just want to know how to start proply with fail

thanks guys

A lot depend on what shrimp you want to keep, I suggest for your first shrimp to get red cherries, they're cheap & very prolific breeders, you can also start selectively breeding them for colour & eventually end up with some stunning shrimp :victorious:

Yeah they told me to start with cherrys and walk my way up but I don't know what should I put in my tank or what brands or anything like that. If u guys can help me I appreciate it

Not much needed for cherries...you can go bare bottom tank or get some inert gravel/sand/soil. Use aged water/rain water or preferably RO water (with salty shrimp to remineralise water), chuck in a sponge filter and some other type of filter (for main such as canister/ HOB) and you're pretty much done! Add some plants and moss, some hiding caves if you want some decorations, then once tank is cycled add shrimp.

• HOF Member

If you are keeping cherries then substrate is not so important an inert gravel is fine. Most of the plants that you may have for fish should be ok with the addition of some mosses for the shrimplets to hide in and graze on. CO2 is not necessary for shrimp. A good master test kit and TDS pen are a must. Once you know which shrimp you want the water parameters will be the key. If you decide on Crystal shrimp they become fussier, need substrate to buffer the ph, possibly a reverse osmosis unit and minerals specific to shrimp added to the water.

So look at some shrimp decide what type you want and the check their water requirements. The heater and filter should be fine as shrimp have lower temps for water than fish.

In case you didn't already know, your fish will eat the shrimp, maybe not the bigger ones, but any tiny shrimplets will get eaten. Not so good if you want them to multiply.