snails and gravel

ineke

• HOF Member

Finally pulled down my second cube and getting ready to setup another 20" tank. The fluval soil I had in the tank is still in great condition so was going to reuse it but there are heaps of baby snails in it. anyone know the best way to get them out of the soil or will they just reappear once the soil is wet again?

Also how about the plants there are heaps of the little beggars on them too.

Any help much appreciated seems a bit silly to set up a new tank with a heap of snails right from the start.

If there is no quick way and I let the soil dry out for a while will the snails come back? Seems a shame to throw away soil that is only a few months old but I will if the snails can't be got rid of

Im not sure about the soil but for plants i know that some aquarists dunk them in a weak bleach solution for 5-10mins then rinse them really well (bleach when diluted loses all effectiveness within 24hrs)

• HOF Member

Thanks Wraithie I think they also use H2O2 which is peroxide I think but wasn't sure of the dilution. I got impatient so I've put really hot water in the tank with the fluval thought that should kill the snails even if I have to repeat that as long as the fluval doesn't turn to mush.

I will try the weak bleach solution thanks and see how that goes on the plants and as the tank will have to cycle any little remnants of bleach will be gone any way.

I don't like to use the snail treatments but as there wont be any shrimp in the tank i could give that a try too.

Bob better not read this or I'll be labelled a snail killer again:cower:

I have tried baking the substrate/gravel/soil in the oven to dry it out fast.

150degC for 15 minutes ought to do it.

I contemplated boiling my ADA amazonia, but was not sure what boiling would do to it.

Drying it out by baking in the oven worked for me to get rid of snails.

I'd think twice about soaking substrate in bleach.

Most substrate are porous. Unless you use gravel, those like river rocks.

If it's porous, it will soak bleach in. You'd need to wash with tons of water, soak in water conditioner, and still not be sure if all the bleach is out.

Bake it I say. Much safer, if you intent is only to get rid of snails.

Mild bleach solution for plants is okay since it's not porous. Just remember to rinse and soak in water conditioner.

• HOF Member

No thats OK Jayc the bleach was for the plants. I've poured almost boiling water over the substrate and a few of the snails looked cooked but not sure if the others are.

I will see how it looks in the morning and if in doubt hubby said nuke it in the microwave guess it can't hurt it should kill the eggs too!

nuke it in the microwave

That's another way I guess.

We should start a list of ways to sterilise old substrate :)

Nuke it.

Bleach it.

Bake it.

Peroxide it.

Sun it.

• HOF Member

LOL yes I guess if time wasn't the issue and it was summer I would put it outside in the sun. I wouldn't have thought of the microwave, actually as it is moist it might explode I better try a small amount and if that works fine , otherwise I like the idea of the oven probably safest bet.:encouragement:

Well, I've never tried the microwave, so you'd be the expert if you try it.:encouragement:

I once put some of those coco-peat, little pots to start some special seed, in the microwave to sterilise them, well.............. I had to go and get more, lol.

• HOF Member

LOL lucky you didn't set the microwave on fire. I will give the soil a test tomorrow if it works I will report back !

• HOF Member

Oh don't worry I will dont want to spend the rest of the day cleaning mud out of the microwave it has a browning element wouldn't be fun

• HOF Member

I bet it was. Some things you never live down.;)

I had a bit of a bother this morning with a filter getting blocked from broccoli left in the tank 1 day too much and it spread all over the tank. the more I tried to clean the worse it got so emptied the tank lock ,stock and barrel! Then needed some extra soil so used half of what was in the "snail " tank. Will just have to live with the beggars and catch them out for my clown loaches to devour. Any way good excuse to cull my Rillis so thats done they are now in another tank to grow out and wait for Garnelchen if she still wants them, but sadly I haven't found any Tibee babies even the beautiful blue one I thought I saw. There were a few little ones I couldn't catch so hopefully they will survive the overhaul and maybe the Tibee babies were still tiny but I doubt it because the one I saw was a nice size.

Some things are not meant to be

Ineke BBQ that will fix the problem and if hubby asks, tell him you are doing snails for lunch and to shut up and go away LOL

Bob

Ninja, why were you nuking peat?

• HOF Member

I didn't get a chance to nuke them as I had to use the soil quickly. I think the boiling water got most of them but there are still a few alive. I wish my shrimp would breed like the snails but then I guess it wouldn't be as much fun when you have success.:)

Ninja : So what did Bill have to say about that LOL and if I call you Peat Chick at any time you will under stand?

Bob

After I left to buy more a 'friend' arrived, Bill told him where I was and why.

When I walked in the door with another lot, he tried to say in with a straight face, ' what have you got? You need to be careful'.

I immediately told them both, where to go, with ash...e at the end, at which point they both couldn't stop laughing for ages. Lol.

Good one Peat Chick LOL

Do you guys get up to the boats much these days and are you going to do customer visits? like Cairns customers?

Bob

Nah mate, I've been to Darwin once with Bill for 4 days. He goes to Brisbane for FRDC meetings on occasions. He had a hip replacement in April and is flying up to Darwin for the first time since the operation on the 24th. It's the big seafood ball and awards week.

Customer visits are usually done by Bean.

By the way, do you guys have any of our bins, there's gunna be a big push to get ours back from around the country, starting with a nasty letter?

OH good a nasty letter, I will never see it DAM.

No none hidden, one of the guys washes them regularly and packs them up to go back, one person did come in going crabbing and dropped one of you bins in to fill with frames and Pete said he was keeping it because it was not his and he did. I think I have a broken one, I will see if it is yours or a Raptis, do I get a nasty letter? please

Bob

They are gong out to everyone lol, if you liked I will ask Bean to send one to you, what language would you like?

Wow that is a lot, but dam I miss out as it is a Sydney fish market one and its broken. I used it to transport oyster shell for a system, BUGGAR I miss out.

We have Hijacked Ineke, now we are going to get it and you are closer that I am LOL

Bob