Black=^..^='s Shrimp Family

blackcat

my tds is 267 (a bit high but its always like that in all my tanks ... I do top ups not water chgs thus far although with tor's ro unit I may begin doing some .... once I source shrimp mineral.

What! You never do water changes?

No wonder your TDS is high.

Top ups should not replace regular water changes. Have you not been reading my Diseases thread?? ;)

Your shrimp might not have one of those diseases (hopefully no one will) but the common theme in researching those diseases is ... prevention is better than the cure. And part of that prevention is regular tank maintenance, ie. water changes.

Do a water change. You don't need to wait for minerals, since you want to reduce the tds. 10% water change with straight RO water will help reduce tds slowly. You don't want to do it too quickly. Once you get TDS to a more suitable level, then you can start using minerals.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blackcat

• Squiggle

• ineke

• MrShrimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok the reason I didn't do water changes is because I didn y have RO and I was affraid. I hear the more experiencep ppl say if everything is good then dont mess with it... they were all breeding like mad and I thought it was all good :-( I feel aweful and responsible believe me. I am scared of doing anything in case I lose the lot. So far I g had ave lost almost 1/2 of my shrimp + babies. Some expensive ones in there. Snows, cbs, crs, blues, sunkists Nd all because I didn't wanna mess up. There are heaps of filter shrimp etc so I thought all was good then all of a sudden all hell broke loose ;-(

I was cautious with water changes at first, but now am making sure 5-10% weekly. Especially as more shrimp start popping up.

I do evaporation top ups all the time and then water change once a week. I use the drip method so there's no sudden changes. Water change is the only way to get rid of nitrates I believe.

I haven't advertised it but I have lost some beautiful shrimp in my early stage too!! Chin up, you have heaps of support and are learning heaps in a short space of time.

It will settle down soon! :encouragement:

I was cautious with water changes at first' date=' but now am making sure 5-10% weekly. Especially as more shrimp start popping up.

I do evaporation top ups all the time and then water change once a week. I use the drip method so there's no sudden changes. Water change is the only way to get rid of nitrates I believe.

I haven't advertised it but I have lost some beautiful shrimp in my early stage too!! Chin up, you have heaps of support and are learning heaps in a short space of time.

It will settle down soon! :encouragement:[/quote']

Thank you for the positive message and encouragement and even for owning up to have noob related losses that gives me hope :-) I did want to keep it secret but figured that if its happening to me it may happen to other newbies too. And in true teaching form I want others to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them :)

I want others to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them :)

That's where this forum surpasses all others. Everyone willing to share experiences and help each other along the way!

Keep us posted. :)

That's where this forum surpasses all others. Everyone willing to share experiences and help each other along the way!

Keep us posted. :)

+1 and will do :-D

• HOF Member

yes it's great to share experiences both good and bad because for every one that is posted there are probably 4-5 with the same problem or good outcome that don't post. It's great to have a community that is mostly non-judgemental:D

Its always embarrassing when we lose shrimp and we dont want people to think that we are 'bad owners', but i do think that everyone does it at some point. I had sooo much trouble with my chocs when i first got them (daily deaths) and i didnt want to own up to it, but creating a thread and discussing it meant that i was able to fix the problem (my TDS was extremely high). I started with small RO water changes to bring it down, and was like you that i was afraid at first.

Pretty much i have a fear of changing anything lest it result in a negative consequence. Its these times i have to tell myself 'its not the end of the world if i lose a few, they are replaceable over time, and the only way i will learn is by trying new things'.

We are lucky to have this supportive community to help.

yes it's great to share experiences both good and bad because for every one that is posted there are probably 4-5 with the same problem or good outcome that don't post. It's great to have a community that is mostly non-judgemental:D

Mostly is right bar a couple of members I have not 'copped' it so to speak ... most have been very supportive. If my losses and this thread helps even one noob my losses will have had meaning and the little fellows didnt die in vain:-)

Happy sharing post number 1 : ive started practicing my moves again ... 4 berried girls in the crs tank and copious amounts of bubbies that survived the stupidity holocaust.

In the sunkist tank I still have my 2 fave gals and a couple of promising males albeit their juvies .... in the choc tank well the news is good too... all my chocs are looking shiny as new pennies and yhe bubs that did survive are awesome shades of brown ranging to almost jet black :victorious:

Tds values 170 cbs & crs-185 - cherry tanks. ...

WAHOO!!! That's such good news & some very promising results from the changeover, well done! :encouragement:

nuhe6yha.jpgu5ameda7.jpgnyjyjyry.jpgsunkist anyone ?

a5azy2ab.jpg

One I f my pumpkin gals .... ahhhh she is my pride qu6ysu9u.jpg

One of The wild child tank inhabitants

9u2a9eqy.jpgemusuhe4.jpge8ybu7ez.jpg

There she is ahhhhhh!!!!

tepyqyra.jpg

I know its a a grade cull choc bit its a nice caramel :-)

WAHOO!!! That's such good news & some very promising results from the changeover' date=' well done! :encouragement:[/quote']

Very very very happy :-)

Lovely oranges! I'll aspire to some one day

Awesome they look lovely and very healthy:encouragement:
I hope so .. After my disaster .... and stupidity HEALTHY is great :)
Lovely oranges! I'll aspire to some one day
You will :-) are you keeping them atm?
Awesome pics' date=' definitely some very nice shrimp there, thanks for sharing! :victorious:[/quote']Y thank you kind sir :-D

Awesome to see things are back on track for you!! Those pumpkins look stunning, and saddles too!! Great work Blackcat!! Thanks for sharing the scary journey for others to learn from too!!

You will :-) are you keeping them atm?

I have some sunkist culls, no pumpkins :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • HOF Member

Very nicely marked too! Plenty of berried mamas I see. Things must be over that hump you had well done:D