Death :( Death Everywhere

Peppy_11

Well it has happened again. I have lost my whole colony within a matter of 2 weeks and I just cant figure out what the hell has happened. Upon discovering a fair few berried females in my approx. 4 month old cube, along with some planeria, I decided to treat with this new internal parasite clear. I followed the instructions to a tee, and under dosed the tank a bit due to killing my last colony with no planeria. After the first night I had 6 dead, and still more planeria. Checked levels thinking maybe the death of some planeria caused a spike in ammonia, came up with nothing. Dosed with prime just in case, and day after day more and more deaths. I have tried doing water changes, aerating the water a bit more, leaving them alone. . . . Mum just messaged me today to tell me it looks like a cemetery in there. I have lost about 60 shrimp from cbs, crs, goldens and yellow cherries. I am devastated. A bad batch maybe? I hadn't lost a single shrimp in this tank until now (With the exception to the crs that decided to go walkees out of my tank).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peppy_11

• Squiggle

• ineke

• BlueBolts

Strange as a lot of embers here have used this product with great results...Sorry for your loss...maybe it was not the medication but overstocking of the cube? What is the size of this cube that you have 60 adult shrimp in it? I have learnt the hard way that overstocking a single tank is not a great idea but actually the opposite.

Did you do a water change after day 3? I did my tanks recently with the same product and didn't get a single death.

• HOF Member

I did the same and 2 of my tanks are cubes had no losses at all and that included a tank with tiny mishling babies. I was very careful about the dosing and mixed it with water and squirted it in with a syringe , water change day 3 repeat again and for 1 tank treated 3 times. Sorry for your loss it's devastating

From my experience I just know keeping any shrimps in cube or nano tank is very hard for me. Nitrate always creep up very fast.

• HOF Member

From memory Peppys cube is 2ft square not exactly a nano -hope I've got the right peppy. What happened last time when you lost your shrimp can you remember? Maybe it has nothing to do with the treatment it could be something used in the house a spray or chemical. Even vegies from the fruit and veg- eshrimp lost half his colony to spinach. try and think what else you may have used. Dean treated his precious TB tanks without a single loss so look for something else- have you added any new shrimp, mosses plants within a few days of the deaths?

I keep a only nanos, n never had any trouble, as the key is stabilisation. Only about 15 were adults, n the rest were babies. I only did the treatment once as after the deaths there was no way I was putting more in, so I did a water change on day 2. Followed the same process I always do, with ro water remineralised. If it was going to happen to anyone, it was bound to happen to me.

My last tank was a 2 foot cube. This one is 40cm all round, so not tiny but definitely not big. Although I'm flattered you remembered lol. The room my shrimp are in is fish only, with my discus, reef and turtles, and living in a fishy household there is no way me or mum sprayed anything near the room. Wouldn't risk my turtles health let alone my shrimpies. Added no new shrimp or plants in ages, feeding the same diet, n no fresh food at all as my kale is not looking great at the moment lol :/

That's terrible. Can you share exclave lay the tank volume and dosage... We gotta try to work this out so that other member hear can learn from the potential issues and/or chain of evens etc... Once things all settle, I've got shrimps for you to restock your tanks.

Bugger. I don't know what it could have been then. Maybe an unrelated event caused it? I recall someone mentioning a spouse spraying perfume or something near the tank and killed a few.

• HOF Member

Puzzling then as no-one has had any issues. You could try the manufacturer but no doubt they wouldn't admit to a bad batch. Or maybe the place you got the internal parasite clear from to see if they have anyone else complain? The next thing is a bacterial infection but that usually kills shrimp off slowly not a lot all at once which is why I think it is something introduced. What about hand washing or new perfume or fumes from a gas heater or car. Mmm can't think of anything else .

The tank is 64litres, I say about 60 to compensate for substrate n plants, product says 5grams per 100litres. I only used 1.5 grams measured with 'druggo scales' (we have them due to discus worming I swear lol). Mixed it outside the tank, n deaths by morning. Grr I love my shrimp :(

• HOF Member

Yeah sure I believe you:) Damn shame I hate it if I get just 1 occasional death so feel your pain for that many.

Sorry to hear about this!!

Doe ro units remove copper? Any new pipes to the house?

The place I live in is a rental, but its only about 4 years old. I have a copper test kit and it turns up nothing. Good thought tho.

Oh man! I'm so sorry, I know the pain of loosing much loved pets before their time. We would love to help you figure this out so let's start at the basics, what are your complete water parameters? PH, KH, GH, TDS, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc.

Ph: 6-6.2

Amm, nitrates, nitrites:0

Gh: 6-7

kh: 1

tds: 180

i test weekly and have not had any noticeable changes since cycle completion

They look ok, how often do you clean the filter & what's the temp?

No new buckets, containers to transport water? Has anyone used cleaned your usual equipment?

such a sad loss!

Your water looks fine. Could be bacteria or some kind of fumes or poison entering the tank. I had a friend who just fill his car with petrol and went home . At home while looking at tank , he decided to put his hand to move something and with in a short time all his crystal slowly died one by one. It just shows how sensitive these shrimps are.

I cleaned the canister with tank water just before I put them in. It's been maybe 10 weeks? But tank is clean n I try not to clean it too much. My temp is 22.5. I have heater and chiller to avoid fluctuations

Ok, you mentioned no one sprayed anything at all, no gas heaters, no open fires & you haven't put your hands in the tanks after using soap, cleaning products or other chemicals?

No the room is closed off, no heaters or anything jus tanks and a couch. I'm really funny about stuff on my hands eg food, perfume as my mum killed discus from moisturising the fixing a plant in her tank. That was pretty devastating

Well I'm all out of ideas, I'll have to have a think about & see what I come up with :dejection: