Hello

jayc

Hi all,

I'm a long time aquarist. Have been keeping fish for 25 years since I was a boy.

Recently decided I wanted to keep something different.

Although shrimps aren't new to the hobby, it's new to me and I am finding it very interesting.

There are many things similar to keeping fish, but also many things aspects of the hobby are new.

It's great learning new things, and I hope to learn more from this forum.

Just returned from a trip to Singapore where I visited a few aquariums, Green Chapter, Nature Aquarium, and a couple of shops in Clementi like Clementi florist & aquarium (funny name since they don't sell flowers) and Polyart.

It was fun and depressing at the same time.

Fun cause there was so many different fishes to see that aren't usually stocked in Australian fish shops.

Depressing cause the prices were so cheap, and I could not buy any to take back to Aus. A whole pack of 10 SSS CRS was only S$22. Not to mention the varieties of shrimp readily available.

Fish were cheap too. For example, a Cardinal Tetra was only S$1.00. Guppy 30cents. L number variety catfish ranged from S$50 - $220 depending of the type. :sorrow:

At least I managed to stock up on the full range of Mosura products & food, along with accessories. For example shrimp net (S$0.80), Gush glass feeding tray 50mm (S$1.00), Mosura mineral plus 100ml (S$15), Mosura Specialty CRS food (S$20). I stocked up good. :encouragement:

Looking now to stock the tank with more livestock, which I can hopefully buy or trade here with fellow forum members.

Nice meeting you and hope to chat more soon.

cheers.

jayc

Hi Jayc, welcome to the forum :)

The sections will open up the more you post or you can get premium membership for instant access and also for access to the classifieds section :encouragement:

The prices overseas are definitely depressing, but you'll be pleased to know that they are coming down in Aus at least!

Please feel free to whack up a picture of your tank, we love pictures :D

Thanks Torface.

My 30L shrimp tank is empty (of shrimp) at the moment. It's completed it's cycling, and I am housing a couple of tetra's in there just to maintain production of waste for the beneficial bacteria while the tank is waiting for shrimp inhabitants.

The substrate in the tank is made up of Amazonia, and planted with Staurogyne and mosses.

I'll gladly put up a picture, once it has sufficient shrimp inhabitants.

What shrimp are you looking to get first?

Warning, theyre addictive! :P

What shrimp are you looking to get first?

Warning' date=' theyre addictive! :P[/quote']

Crystal Reds to start off with.

Then King Kongs, then a tank for some Sulawesi ... wait a minute ... addictive you say?

Welcome and im with the others omg the addiction factor is through the roof :-)

You don't say. I've already stocked up on goods I mentioned above that I bought in Singapore that will last me 2 years ... and I don't even have the shrimp in the tank yet !

I have

3x bottles of Mosura mineral plus,

2x bottles of CRS specialty food,

2x packs of Mosura Excel flakes,

1x bottle of Excel,

1x bottle of Bioplus,

2x bottles of Mosura tonic pro,

2x bottels of Mosura Eros,

1 bottle of old sea mud,

1 bottle of BT-9,

1 pack of Shrimpton.

Is that enough?!

• HOF Member

Doesn't matter about the foods have you got enough tanks, MTS strikes quick and hard. Welcome to SKF there"s heaps to see and learn here with a great friendly community. We have many fish breeders here too with a subsection for fish and tanks. Hope you enjoy our forum:encouragement:

Pretty sure we'd all kill for some Sulawesi so join the back of the queue lol :p

Seriously though, these aren't available in Aus :(

Actually saw Sulawesis here in Oz about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago, a young guy was breeding them here in Sydney. I'm kicking myself now for turning down buying tham at the time, really kicking myself about it now!

Actually saw Sulawesis here in Oz about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago' date=' a young guy was breeding them here in Sydney. I'm kicking myself now for turning down buying tham at the time, really kicking myself about it now![/quote']

How much was he asking?

'000's I would assume

Actually saw Sulawesis here in Oz about 2 - 2 1/2 years ago' date=' a young guy was breeding them here in Sydney. I'm kicking myself now for turning down buying tham at the time, really kicking myself about it now![/quote']

oh whatttt!!!!

Why would you turn down buying them WHYYYYY!

Can't you contact him again? How many did he have and how much did he want???

I'd murder everyone on this forum to get them including u! WHAHAHA ;)

sulawesi-shrimp.jpg?61f4ea

Welcome to the forum jayc, definitely the best place to learn about shrimp & the best community to go with it. Sulawesi shrimp are everyone's dream here & maybe one day they will be available to us in Aus. Hope you have as much fun here as we do :victorious:

image_zps3092b94c.jpg

LOL, I'm sure I will be enjoying myself here.

How did he go with them? I've recently been looking in to Sulawesi's in the UK and a lot of people over there cant get hold of them because no one will import them as they're apparently really hard to keep alive.... Just wondering if that's a general thing, or whether they're like TBs and are now much easier to keep due to advances in products such as salty shrimp?

Hello Jayc welcome to SKF

Welcome JayC. Good to see you've stocked up on the quality products. Now let the obsession begin!

Welcome jayc to SKF...Hope you are successful with your new shrimping hobby..

welcome to skf you will love it am waiting to sell all my ornaments fish and rock so i can actually start with my new hobby.

Just an update on some pics of my tanks.

My Main fish tank...

post-12-139909862726_thumb.jpg

This photo is a year old. Only changes are a school of 10x Cardinal Tetras and a school of 5x Beckfords Pencil fish introduced recently for additional colour and activity.

My Shrimp tank awaiting purchase of livestock...

Going to start with some CRS. Already ordered a dozen.

post-12-139909862732_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909862729_thumb.jpg

Currently not happy with the plumbing, they stand out too much. Looking at getting some glass intake and return pipes with a stainless steel prefilter.

Photo was taken a little bit more than a week ago. since then I've changed the midground plants to Staurogyne repens from my main tank, so that I can do away with the ugly CO2 hose and stauro gives me a bit more height between foreground and background.

Stunning tanks dude, very cool scapes, well done! Thanks for sharing :encouragement:

Welcome mate and sweet looking scapes...