how are your yellows going?

ineke

• HOF Member

A while ago it was said that yellows bred better in Lower ph than normal cherries. I haven't had any luck with my yellows in both Cherry parameters and also Crystal parameters. We had a flurry of people with berried yellows and then all went quiet. I know one member at least had berried girls but now has hardly any babies to be seen. So how are your yellows going, have they berried, have you got a good survival rate of babies and what are your WP's.

I have read on other forums of the same problems berried girls and then no more breeding so this should be of interest to many of us.:D

Im finding the babies are surviving fine.

keeping them at higher ph I did find that the yellows took WAY longer than 3 other colour morphs to mature.

couldn't tell you the wp's as I havent tested in ages.

With the other person not having much luck with baby survival, how long has their tank been set up?

if it has matured and got some nice biofilm going then the babies should be fine.

Cherries do theoritically prefer a neutral + PH, and a higher GH & KH. TDS doesn't seem so critical with cherries, and have found that as my system has generally a low KH, adding some bicarb soda keeps them happy, berried and with shrimplets. Every system is different, but this seems to work for me...perhaps post your WP, and its generally all about diet and WP.

• HOF Member

I've had the first lot of yellows since about feb/march and had a berried girl fairly quickly but she dropped her eggs and never berried again. I initially had them in pura tap water ph 7.4 didn't know about all the other WP's but my reds bred like crazy in the same water. Got chocolates from Dean but but by that time had an RO unit and water testing so all WP's were good still no yellow breeding. Was told try them in with the crystals because others were having luck in their tanks even got some more yellows and they are all happily munching out and active in with my Crystals. But this thread is not really about my lot not breeding it's more of interest to see who is having luck in what water.

My yellows are now in a 60 litre tank

TDS 125

PH 5.7

Gh 6

KH 2

Using RO and salty shrimp but this is my Crystal tank so don't really expect much from the yellows. I have a new 20" tank that I am going to set up soon and will see what seems to be the most successful parameters and try that for them but as I say this is a general query on what works just thought it might be of interest:encouragement:

I consistently have 2-3 girls berried, my yellows are going along nicely. They are in with my GB's which has low PH. :victorious:

I consistently have 2-3 girls berried' date=' my yellows are going along nicely. They are in with my GB's which has low PH. :victorious:[/quote']

Whats your GH & KH ?

I think the last time I checked it was GH - 4 & KH - 0-1, I use Bee+ minerals on the tank & about 15-20mm substrate :victorious:

For my own Cherry Tanks I actually use a Cichlid Substrate which is composed of Shell and Grit, it naturally keeps the Ph higher around the 7.2 - 7.6 depending on how much I use. The last lot I could only get in a white/grey so I then add some ADA New Amazonian Powder to fill in the gaps plus add some black/brown colouring to the tank which I prefer, white just isn't natural. It may be worth doing a water change on your tank? Also for Cherries I keep my temperature higher at 25c which I've found they prefer, have had them down as low as 16c which they survive in but not thrive.

• HOF Member

When I had my Reds breeding well I didn't really know anything and had them in with my bettas in their tank so who knows what the water was except the ph and filtered water but boy they bred!!! The tank mine are in is only a few months old probably 3-4 months and the benibachi is working very well but a bit too well for the yellows. I will put them in a new setup specially setup for them but just waiting to see what most people have got theirs in. Might go back to my original set up type but use the sulawesi salts as well.

Funnily enough, my yellows aren't going that great either. Had a few berried when they were in the big tank, but had very few shrimplets come out of that tank when I cleared it. Not sure why as i had zillions of cbs come out of the same tank! Since they've been in the rack they havent really been breeding, bar one berried girl recently. My blues are in the same water and even though I only have 3 adult females, they seem to always be berried!

• HOF Member

Well this thread isn't much help is it LOL I'm glad it's not just me and have read this problem over and over on other forums and facebook, yet we have breeders on here that seem to do really well so come on yellow breeders give us a hint on how you keep your shrimp to help out those of us that are not having much luck!

Haha weird isn't it? I'm not really bothered though to be honest, if they breed they breed if they don't they don't!

• HOF Member

I have stopped fussing about my shrimp and just make sure their water is good and food is there- no more rearranging and playing other than setting up bigger tanks- the cubes are going but not far:) If they breed it's a bonus but I have a spare new tank and the Tibees will probably end up in there with the yellows- my rilli tank is getting a bit crowded and as the tibees are smaller in number they will be easier to catch out- I will give the yellows cherry WP's and leave it at that breed or not they are still very nice to look at.

I had another one of my yellows berry up on the weekend.

I'm about to strip down the tank they are in for some repairs so that might set them back. I've noticed that it takes a while for them to settle in before I see baby shrimps.

• HOF Member

So John you have had lots of berried girls as you so happily show me:( how do your babies go do you have a good survival rate? Will you share your WP's with us (me) It's an interesting factor that you either have good breeders or you don't it must be something those of us who don't have success with Yellows need to find out. Why can we breed some cherries and yet not yellows? It must be something in the water:rolleyes: anyway no one who is successful has shared their WP's with us yet

Ineke, I've happily shared my water parameters before. I keep my yellows in benibachi soil with saltyshrimp. pH 6.5 kH 0 gH 6 TDS 175 TEMP 24. I had a stage where the breeding slowed down for a few months. I used water changed and even some Mosura Eros to get them breeding again. Also there's heaps of moss in the tank.

• HOF Member

Thanks HeavyD I think that your WP's is what prompted me to put my Yellows in with my Crystals my PH is a bit low because the Benibachi is still new , I have done water changes and bloodworms, the females get nicely saddled but haven't bred. Since they have been in this tank they are out grazing all the time and their colour is good where as when they were in the Cherry tank they hid all the time and were very pale. Perhaps I should just leave them where they are as they look very healthy <a href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b583/ineke24/2013-06-23132704_zps19929321.jpg' alt='2013-06-23132704_zps19929321.jpg'>

Nice yellows, those ones :encouragement:

You sure you've got a male? Lol

• HOF Member

Yes at least 4 they seem to be doing really well , colouring up happy and out instead of pale and hiding maybe I'm just not meant to breed yellows. My chocolates on the other hand have had babies again today -they snuck that one past me didn't think anyone was due yet!

I just checked and I have two more girls berried today while I was at work. I might have to delay the strip down of their tank as I don't want to upset them.

My WP are:

PH: 6.8

GH: 4

KH: 1

TDS: 120

Temp: 23-24

Oh, and I have a heap of babies, but they are spread across all divisions of my divided tank (which is why I need to repair it) so I don't know how many there are for sure.

• HOF Member

Well my Wp's are not far off apart from the lower PH I'm destined not to have yellows I guess but never mind others are busy reproducing.

Thanks for sharing:encouragement: