Shrimp newb but keen.

h20rat

Hi :)

Its cool to have a forum that accommodates for the growing popularity of these awesome little critters. Just setting up my first tank again after a few months being empty so new everything inside. Going for RCS to start then love to move into crystals or other exotics if the cherries go well :)

Cheers!

Hi mate and welcome to a fellow brisbanite.Their is a wealth of knowledge available here. And some nice people as well.

Show us a pic of your setup and enjoy the journey that shrimp keeping brings.

Cheers mick

Welcome to the forum dude, we love pics here so whack some up when you get a chance, definitely the best place to be to learn about shrimp, hope you have as much fun here as we do :encouragement:

image_zpsb7ab420b.jpg

Welcome to SKF. With the help of members here, you'll soon be expanding to a breeding rack. :-)

Welcome to the forum H2Orat!!

Remember to ask lots of questions and maybe share some pics of your tank setup as you go. There really are no stupid questions, we have all had to ask them.

Lots of experienced shrimp keepers here to help, and plenty of us newbies too, so dont be afraid to ask for help.

Enjoy the forum and your new journey!!

• HOF Member

Welcome to SKF be prepared to need more tanks RCS are a great starter but won't be long and you will want more and more and well you get the picture. Heaps to see and learn here, plenty of people to share info with. Hope you enjoy our forum:encouragement:

Thx everyone! Looking through other forums I think the biggest thing for me is knowing the 'lingo' especially regarding water parameters. I've been Googling around ways to drop the ph of my tank (currently 7.8) before I introduce shrimps but the other acronyms I see some use GHS or might be GHD and etc etc is kind of full on! Is there an FAQ page anywhere that describes these and more? Almost have tank ready for pix :)

• HOF Member

There is a section on WP's - water parameters- with lots of threads that may help. It is a whole new language, not sure if there are any answers in FAQ but make a list and put it up someone will help with it all. It may help other people too so don't be shy just do it.

Some of the terminology can be confusing, the list below is pretty much all of the things you'll need to know :victorious:

GH - general hardness - hardness of the water

KH - carbonate hardness - ability for the water to hold a high ph

TDS - total dissolved solids - amount of dissolved compounds in the water

EC - electronic conductivity - similar to TDS, it is the conductivity of the water which is effected by the amount of minerals in the water

WP - water parameters

WC - water change

I'm sure there are some more but I can't think of them know, just ask if there are any others you don't know :encouragement:

Thx squiggle...really appreciated :) I suppose these are the next stage beyond the newb basics of ph ammonia etc.

Sigh...I didn't wash the new substrate enough so my filter has been plowing through pulling all the silt out of the water and everytime I touch a plant or move a rock it stirs things up...I might leave a couple of days before getting some tenants now. Esp with ph higher than I want as well.

Welcome to the forum :)

If you want to unlock access to the whole forum and be able to utilise the classifieds section you can sign up to the subscription for $12.50 :) best money you spent all year guaranteed lol.

is in your settings then subscriptions :)

look forward to seeing pics when your setup

Mine's pretty amateur compared to the time and effort I've seen! Makes me want to put horse before cart and get more tanks! Just have to take a breath and get this one thriving first lol. Its just a little Fluval chi but I scrapped pretty much everything in it and started again. I have a bit of a theme for this one hoping posts will unlock a 'show us yer tank' board soon. Ill post pics there :) I figure ill sub soon as so few places to get shrimp in Bris really other than a place in Annerley and one at My Gravatt so accessing retail area is a must do I think! :) hoping everyone has had a cool Sunday!

Hi welcome to SKF. In addition to the more difficult exotics, perhaps you could consider some of our native shrimp. They are very under-rated.

Fishmosy I definitely have my eye on those zebra shrimp that's for sure! Love to get some happening in a low-tech setup if its possible! Pics of tank in appropriate section now :)

Won't be long before you are addicted like the rest of us .Enjoy SKF!

Hey mate, i know you are wanting to lower the ph, but you shouldn't have much trouble with RCS in brisbane water, when you get to the specials you will need more effort

Thanks Wraithie would like to get it just a little closer to 7.0 that way I can maintain. Looks like it is still cycling so there might be a slight change when that is done. I'm impatient!! Ha :)

Thanks Wraithie would like to get it just a little closer to 7.0 that way I can maintain. Looks like it is still cycling so there might be a slight change when that is done. I'm impatient!! Ha :)

Hahaha, don't worry dude, most of us are too :encouragement:

Nice. Reading these makes me think that I'm not the only new person to shrimp breeding. That's got to be a good thing!

Yes I bought some red shrimps from a store a few weeks ago but some died.

That's the reason I joined the forum. Hope to learn more here as the shop assistant wasnt very helpful.

Apparently the price I paid was too much for red shrimps too. Yikes