Cycling question

jacet

Hi all.. I have my old display tank that leaked so I pulled it apart fixed it and re set it up.. While I re siliconed the tank back together I washed everything even the filter and media rinsed the substrate.. The reason for that was to start fresh.. So getting to the question bit now the tank has ben running for a week and I have been putting food in there to catch the snails left in the substrate after rinsing and to start the cycle again... So I just tested the tank and everything is fine and dandy after a week so I am a bit confused with the results. I thought I would have to go through a full cycle again which does not bother me but if it is ok I might stock it slowly with some wet pets...

You probably had some bacteria survive the clean & kick started the cycle :encouragement:

Should I leave it for another week to make sure. This is the first time I have had a tank be perfect after a week...

If you are getting nitrates but have zero ammonia & nitrite then it's as cycled as its gonna get, you need to start putting in livestock to supply waste & keep the bacteria alive :encouragement:

What water did you use for washing?
Town water... it should of killed anything in there... I filled the tank up with tap water to and let it run for an hour to kill any nasties left in there and then added a single dose of prime..

Even with tap water some bacteria will survive and youve been adding food so that would start or continue a cycle. If its been running for a week without adding prime etc and the readings are zero then it has to be ready for fish. If your worried throw a coupke of ******* or other small cheapys and see how it goes. It may be cycled enough for the bioload your providing with food but it may not be able to handle a larger bioload so if you add anything increase numbers slowly. I have cycled a new tank in under a week before but that was using liquid ammonia.

Cheers mick

Cheers Smicko.. I might try adding a couple of fish and test again in a week.. Just a does not make sense to me but I am sure it can happen.. I have put plants in it as well so that might of helped it along? I just want it to be 100% as it is going to be my CBS tank...