is this a snowball shrimp?

neosin

I have a few blue velvets and this one has a white saddle?

are they the same shrimp?

I read that blue velvets came from snowballs?

What's the difference?

ThX

i just did a google search image on snowball shrimp and it looks the same, still after thoughts :)

DSCN8688.jpg

Proper Snow Balls are a different species completely, they're not heteropoda. There have been discussions as to interbreeding of them but have not read of anybody having done so.

Snow Balls also produce white eggs, davidi (formerly known as heterpoda) even in the palest still product yellow eggs, one pretty obvious and genetic difference.

I read that blue velvets came from snowballs?

Blue velvets come from red rilli blue gene :encouragement:

Proper Snow Balls are a different species completely' date=' they're not heteropoda. There have been discussions as to interbreeding of them but have not read of anybody having done so.Snow Balls also produce white eggs, davidi (formerly known as heterpoda) even in the palest still product yellow eggs, one pretty obvious and genetic difference.[/quote']They are neos though?So if mine has white eggs then it's a snowball? I"ll grab more pics tonightIf its not a snowball and a blue velvet then what colour eggs should blue velvet have? Yellow? Thx

If it's saddle is white, then it's not a blue velvet, but a snowball....now you need to find a male snowball....

If it's saddle is white' date=' then it's not a blue velvet, but a snowball....now you need to find a male snowball....[/quote']

The problem is I can't tell If it's white white lol!

do you have a female blue velvet saddled i compare to? Thx

Btw, I have blue males that look like the female in the pic, problem is I don't know if I have blue velvets mixed with snowballs? They guy I bought off doesn't even know as he traded with someone else.

ok just found pics of berried velvets and they are bright yellow http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184314

So I guess if mine has white eggs then its a snowball :)

1 of my female blue velvets sometimes turns white/ish

and he saddle is always white

Link to their definition and picture from Planet Inverts - http://www.planetinverts.com/Snowball%20Shrimp.html

You'll note this is species Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis "White", not Neocaridina heteropoda. I've seen original Snow Balls here in Australia

and when they're next to Cherries its really easy to see the differences, even more so when berried.

This is a snowball shrimp, As Kiwi Said they are 2 very different shrimp.

As for cross breeding i am also yet to make them cross.

post-3445-139909852595_thumb.jpg

post-29-139909851231_thumb.jpg

This is a snowball shrimp' date=' As Kiwi Said they are 2 very different shrimp.

As for cross breeding i am also yet to make them cross.

post-3445-139909852595_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dean,

I've posted better pics in my other thread here http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/4131-My-SnowBall-and-or-Blue-Velvets-Enjoy-D?highlight=

care to comment?

look forward to what you think :D