Hi from Melbourne

blackcat

Just thought I would say hi. I am new to the exy shrimpies but have successfully kept and selectively bred some quality red cherries. I have recently expanded my collection to include a large 6 tank shrimp breeding rack each tank is 84 L non standard 2 ft. I now keep chocolates, sunkists, yellows and rili. Exciting times :-)

• HOF Member

Hi Blackcat welcome to SKF. Would love to see some pictures of your shrimp and tanks. Sounds like you have a nice collection there. Hope you enjoy our forum:encouragement:

Great work Blackcat!!

Good to see more Victorians on here, we are becoming the shrimp capital.

Ask lots of questions, share loads of pics. You will get lots of support, experience, knowledge and humour here.

Big welcome!!

Ps, don't forget the pics, the rack sounds awesome!

Welcome to the SKF team blackcat. Would love to see how you design your rack and your quality shrimps. Are you planning to go to the next level and try keeping crystals and maybe one day you might use all your experience and knowledge to keep Taiwan bees. All the info is on this great website but if you can't find the answer then please post up any questions or just share some of your experience. Have fun :)

Hi @blackcat,

Im looking to do something similar and would love to see pics of your rack setup.

:)

Tess

Welcome to SKF. Love to see pics of your tanks and shrimps. Does sound exciting.:encouragement:

Welcone to the forum dude, as already mentioned, we loooooove pics here so whack up some pics of your shrimp & rack. I'm very interested to see which way you have gone with your rack so make sure there's some pics of the plumbing & all the intricate working of it. hope you have as much fun here as we do :victorious:

tumblr_mn086mODjc1srqr8so1_400partyhard_zps6a38ff31.gif

Welcome to SKF mate... Hope you enjoy it..

Welcome to SKF Blackcat! Looking forward to seeing pics of your shrimps and set up!

Welcome to our forum SKF ENJOY!

Thanks for all the warm shrimpy welcome fellow shrimps :-)

I have tried to upload a few image links of my setup but alas its not allowing me to share :(

I wi keep trying

This is the rack as I bought it. ... I thought no way is that ugly thing going into my beautiful fish room

ad_1370655361240.jpg

This is the rack after refurbishment and beautifying!

20130622_214309.jpg

Here are my 2 middle tanks all going

20130626_062633.jpg

The leftt tank has sunkist and tthe right has chock blue and brown base :-)

And here are some random pix of my shrimpies!

20130703_092427.jpg

These are my chocks if u can see them

20130703_155712.jpg

20130704_172424.jpg

20130609_230400.jpg

20130609_225321.jpg

20130609_210527.jpg

20130609_211940.jpg

20130609_225510.jpg

20130609_225543.jpg

20130613_224901.jpg

20130703_155712.jpg

Oh and as for the plumbing I will take a one pix tonight ....

It is plumbed with plumbers pipe and for the inlets with irrigation pipes and some flow valves. It was originally run with a sump pump but i was not happy with it so I went overkill lol I have 2 x 1500L cannister external filters hooked up to filter 4 tanks ... 1 filter for 2 tanks ... I am a little concerned re the current created by the outlet pipe but havnt come up with a solution yet.

• HOF Member

Great set up Blackcat and some nice shrimp. Thanks for sharing. The current may be able to be slowed with a sponge over the outlet depending on the type of outlet you have.

Very cool setup dude, some lovely shrimp too, well done! :encouragement:

Heres some pics of the plumbing and hardware involved :-)20130706_231718-1.jpg

This is the tubing for the outlet water to go back into the filter

20130706_231745-1.jpg

The hose connection we used

20130706_231757-1.jpg

The intakes back into the tank

Closeup

20130706_231819-1.jpg

How the intakes are connected to the filter

20130706_231830-1.jpg

20130706_231845-1.jpg

The exit with sponge covers

20130706_231859-1.jpg

The return inlet

20130706_231904-1.jpg

Hope this makes it easy to understand :-) its a work in progress but so far I'm happy with it. The heater is in one of the 2 tanks and as the water flows back into both tanks there is only a 1degree varisnce between the 2 tanks :-)

Wow blackcat, that is a serious set up. One big advantage of using canister in your set up is if you do introduce a bad shrimp ( bacteria) it will only spread in 2 tanks so you can save the shrimps in the other 4. I use a sump hook up to all my tank so one bad shrimp can wipe out my whole colony.

Thanks @mrshrimp. Im still trying to work out tank divisions as I would like each tank in 3 sections. :-) so far im pretty happy... im planning to hook up the second filter today then the 2 bottom tanks will be cycling. The 2 top tanks are reserved for crs cbs EVENTUALLY... I jumped in way too quick last time and a heat wave wiped them all out whilst I was at work:-( bit wary till my experience grows :-)

Oh Deniz I didn't relise it was you, very sneaky . Hehe. It's great to see more females getting into this hobby. I'll send you some blue velvet cherries to get you started as soon as I can get my hands on some kordon bags.

Wow that would be AMAZING I looooovvee blue its my fave colour :-) awesome :-)