joy in the shrimp room today

ineke

• HOF Member

Happy dancing going on in the house- finally a berried CRS- only trouble is I hadn't had any success with either the CBS or CRS and needing to close down my cube I put the CBS in the CRS tank. I don't care I just want Crystal babies.

Next there are 2 berried mishlings 1 I was given berried but couldn't see her for a couple of weeks so thought she dropped the eggs then there was another berried one but wasn't 100% sure if it was the original but anyway the other day they were sitting side by side so I know I have a male mishling- Thanks Ninja!

Then I had to catch out my chocolates from the cube and thought I only had a few because I can never see them. From my original 8 I lost 1 but this morning I counted 25 adult/juvi plus a heap of very young ones and some one had babies last night. Not so good when you want to catch them, she had at least 20 tiny little ones that I counted then gave up. It took me several hours to carefully catch them all- hope I got them all.

So today my mishling is due to have her babies and my tibee is due in a few days- I don't need more tanks I still have one new one to set up and the big one still cycling -I'm a tad excited hope they all have their babies safely:congratulatory:

As to photos the mishling due today was on the forum last week, The tibee has been as well so when hubby gets in I will see if I can get a picture of the CRS- her eggs are very pale.:)

Congratulations Ineke, its always fun and joy to see berried shrimps, well done :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks Ace It's been a long time coming with the CRS they haven't bred since I've had them so quite excited.

Awesome work Ineke, it's all go for you now, congratulations & well done! :victorious:

Congrats Ineke, I love CRS but learnt the hard way they just cant handle my summer heat without a chiller. Best of luck.

thats gonna be a lot of young ones Ineke congrats!

I don't need more tanks....

You honetly don't believe that do you ? LOL.

Congrats, lot of pics please.

Well done Girl. There is no holding you back now, Super Shrimp Starererere.

Bob

• HOF Member

Thanks everyone I guess they bred because I left them alone but DON'T Tell BOB:D

Sorry I was eaves dropping, it amazing what stability and peace will do LOL

Bob

• HOF Member

I knew you were there. So much else was happening I just did water changes and fed them basically looked at them and thats about it. Although the tank did have a major replant a while back.

Its 5.06 so I am going to stare at my shrimp tank out on the back veranda before it gets dark CU

Bob

Hey congrats! Now our CRSs are pregnant together! :congratulatory:

• HOF Member
Hey congrats! Now our CRSs are pregnant together! :congratulatory:

Woohoo so they are!

Thanks Torface yes it is about time!!!!!

But still no yellow babies?

If it makes you feel any better, my yellows haven't bred since being in the new rack...

• HOF Member

I tried my yellows originally in cherry WP's now for quite some months they have been in the Crystal tank and although the girls have nice saddles they still haven't bred. Don't know whether to try them back in cherry WP 's or just leave them be.

Crystals are a funny thing I have both CRS and CBS and they are in the same divided tank now with the same water filter plants substrate lighting.. Well CBS breed like crazy and CRS do nothing....

• HOF Member

It's funny how it works. I had a mishling get berried in the CRS tank a couple of months ago but she was the only one. Now the mishlings are in their own tank and another one berried yet the CBS and CRS in exactly the same water never did until this one so here's hoping it means they will start. They all had some bloodworms tonight maybe that will hope:encouragement:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• beanbag
      Update to say that after a few gravel vacs, front wall scrub, moss / floating plant trim, that the condition seems to have improved.  My current theory is that it is due to waste / debris management, where "stuff" like that brown mulm accumulates in the substrate and behind the HMF filters.  Maybe some tanks can somehow deal with it, but mine can't.  Also another experienced shrimper suggested that maybe those "shell bugs" don't just live on the shrimps but also in this debris.  Maybe this is the reason some tanks fail due to "old tank syndrome" where all they need is a good gravel vac? Also, I am guessing that plant trim helps too because now more of the nutrients and light go into growing algae instead of more plants? Well anyway for this tank I will try weekly water change and monthly gravel vac / plant trim.  For my next tank, I'm thinking of something like an under-gravel system where this mulm can fall down and I vac it out.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Good to have an update and good to hear you are getting shrimplets, so hopefully your colony will continue and you may not get to the point where you have to cull some to stop over population. These type of shrimp only live 12 - 18 months so the adult deaths may be natural? If you have the time I would do weekly 25% water changes, adding the new water via a drip system and do some vacuuming clean of the substrate each week, even if only a different bit each week! See if that helps in a few months and if it does then stick with that regime? It should help reduce any build-ups that may be occuring!
    • beanbag
      Hello again, much belated update: The tank still has "cycles" of 1-2 month "good streaks" where everybody seems to be doing well, and then a bad streak where the short antenna problem shows up again, and a shrimp dies once every few days.  I am not sure what causes things to go bad, but usually over the course of a few days I will start to see more shrimp quietly standing on the HMF filter, and so I know something is wrong.  Since I am not "doing anything" besides the regular 1-2 week water changes, I just assume that something bad is building up.  Here's a list of things that I've tried that are supposed to be "can't hurt" but didn't prevent the problem either: Dose every other day with Shrimp Fit (very small dose, and the shrimp seem to like it) Sotching Oxydator Seachem Purigen to keep the nitrates lower Keeping the pH below 5.5 with peat Things that I don't do often, so could possibly "reset" the tank back to a good streak, are gravel vac and plant trim, so maybe time to try those again. One other problem I used to have was that sometimes a shrimp would suddenly stop eating with a full or partially full digestive tract that doesn't clear out, and then the shrimp will die within a few days.  I suspected it was one of the foods in my rotation - Shrimp Nature Infection, which contains a bunch of herbal plant things.  I've had this in my food rotation for a few years now and generally didn't seem to cause problems, but I removed it from the rotation anyway.  I don't have a lot of adult Golden Bees at this point so I can't really tell if it worked or not. Overall the tank is not too bad - during the good streaks occasionally a shrimp will get berried and hatch babies with a 33-50% survival rate.  So while there are fewer adults now, there are also a bunch of babies roaming around.  I guess this tank will stagger on, but I really do need to take the time to start up a new tank.  (or figure out the problem)
    • jayc
      If that is the offspring, then the parents are unlikely to be PRL. I tend to agree with you. There are very few PRLs in Australia. And any that claim to be needs to show proof. PRL genes have to start as PRL. CRS that breed true after x generations doesn't turn it into a PRL. Neither can a Taiwan bee shrimp turn into a PRL despite how ever many generations. I've never seen a PRL with that sort of red colour. I have on Red Wines and Red Shadows - Taiwan bee shrimps. So somewhere down the line one of your shrimp might have been mixed with Taiwan bees and is no longer PRL. It just tanks one shrimp to mess up the genes of a whole colony. 
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Sorry, missed this one somehow! The PRL look fantastic and the odd ones look part PRL and part Red wine/Red shadow in the colour. They are still very beautiful but ideally should be seperated to help keep the PRL clean if you can do that.  Nice clear photos!