Activated Carbon. Is it worth buying branded names such as Seachem??

izzy

Hi All,

As the title states, is it worth buying branded names? Will the cheap ones do the same job?

I don't know but if you want some PM me your address & I'll send you some, I have a 10kg bag just sitting in my garage just in case, lol :victorious:

Cheers Squiggle. Will do.

There is a difference between carbons - some far superior than others.

Generally, brand named products have to keep their brand in high regard, so those companies care for better quality. But wether it is worth the money.... Well, that is a hard call.

Quality cheaper carbon would probably need to be changed slightly more frequently than the top shelf carbons, so if you dont mind changing it more frequently, then no problem.

The main things to look out for in activated carbons is the following:

- phosphate free

- smaller granule size (larger surface area)

- extruded (pelletised, more processed)

- in a sealed bag.

Dont bother "recharging" used portions in a hot oven, it will never be as good as new, and the heating costs will out weight the cost of the new product.

To test if the cheaper carbons are good - rinse it under the tap.... if you hear it hissing, it is very porous.... and then test the rinse water for PO4 - it should be 0.

Used Carbon is good for the garden and for adding to potting mix - might as well get you monies worth out of it.

Wow, thank you doc. Ill keep thus in mind :)

Thanks Oil, some new info there, you learn every day

I have always found the better stuff works the best, you get what you pay for.

Dam I did not know people recharge it, seems a waste of time, even to high end stuff is not too costly.

Bob