shrimp id please

smicko

Just picked up some strange shrimp, not sure what to call them. Any help greatly appreciated.

First pic no flash

20130629_214549_zps05d4870e.jpg

Second pic with flash

20130629_213919_zps76b244af.jpg

Last pic different shrimp from same group.

20130629_215623_zpscbf93dae.jpg

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Cheers mick

Choc Cherry? Newbie response!!

Thats what I thought but they have orange eyes and thick brown saddle?

Cheers mick

What about chameleon ?

They could be they are about 4cm long if that helps but i dont think this person keeps chameleon. thought they were chocs at first but the eyes threw me.

All I seen in the tank were chocs and blonde tigers. Which is what got me thinking, and slightly confused.

Cheers mick

They look a bit like the typhus that I have, I guess Bob would be the man if they are a native :encouragement:

They look a bit like the typhus that I have' date=' I guess Bob would be the man if they are a native :encouragement:[/quote']

Thanks mate but wheres the pic? I think you might be slipping as you get older lol..

I got some this colour, some that are definitely chocs, reds from chocs and some that look like blonde tigers with black eyes.

Also if they are chameleon or other native will they change colour? The tank they came from is bare bottom and I have black shrimp substrate and a painted black back?

Cheers mick

The first two pictures look like typhus while the third one seems to be another type of shrimp. In the native inverts section I have a few pics of typhus if you want to try and compare against them.

The first two pictures look like typhus while the third one seems to be another type of shrimp. In the native inverts section I have a few pics of typhus if you want to try and compare against them.

I just had a look and I think your right with the first two. I got two berried girls so heres hoping.

Do the males have the same colour or are they clear? I have a few that sort of look like a blonde tiger and are a bit longer and skinnier than the females in pic which I assume would be male.

The third one has me stumped' date=' same size and shape as a choc cherry but has orange eyes. I thought slong the lines of chameleon but I have very different wp and tank setup to where I got them from and they haven't changed so not sure.

A pic of what could be male typhus but again not sure.

[img']http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u464/smicko1/20130630_081215_zpsaf05a1f0.jpg

Cheers mick

I finally got some natives by the looks yeeeeeaaaaahhhh

I am not sure about male typhus carrying colour, None of my males seem to have any colour only the females do. But the males are slightly smaller and slimmer than the female typhus. The last picture you supplied looks more like either a wild cherry (but not enough barring for me to really believe it is one) or another native similar to Blackmore River shrimp.

20130630_081215_zpsaf05a1f0.jpg

This one looks like some of the wild type cherry I have. I'd be interested to know if its a native though!

This one looks like some of the wild type cherry I have. I'd be interested to know if its a native though!

Hi torface, do yours have orange eyes as thats the only thing putting me off that conclusion. I would be happy with wild type cherry it gives me something to experiment with.

Cheers mick

Just went to check and i cant find the little blighters! I dont think they do as i wouldve noticed if they did, so maybe you're right and yours are different....

Just went to check and i cant find the little blighters! I dont think they do as i wouldve noticed if they did' date=' so maybe you're right and yours are different....[/quote']

Always the way torface lol. Where's bob when we need him, probably living the dream lol

Cheers mick

I was working :sorrow: 2 days of 3am starts and 3pm finishes = one tired old fart LOL. I had Mareeba markets and Mission Beach markets.

The last clearer one ? could be C. serratirostris = chameleon, the first ones are 75% serratirostris and yep they change colour to suit their mood and time between moults, I can't confirm the later 100% but its looking like it. Very small egg and hard to raise but not impossible.

Bob

I was working :sorrow: 2 days of 3am starts and 3pm finishes = one tired old fart LOL. I had Mareeba markets and Mission Beach markets.

The last clearer one ? could be C. serratirostris = chameleon' date=' the first ones are 75% serratirostris and yep they change colour to suit their mood and time between moults, I can't confirm the later 100% but its looking like it. Very small egg and hard to raise but not impossible.

Bob[/quote']

What happened to the boy part of your name lol. Long days suck but thats for the id, the two berried females do have smaller eggs than cherries but their is heaps of them so im hoping some survive.

They are in a tank with my mishlings so I am wondering if the wp would be right.

Ph 6

Kh 10 ppm

Gh 180 ppm

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

Ammonia 0

Tds 200

Could you recommend good foods for them please? I would love to see them survive as they are my first native.

And bob you were right all along, natives are the way of the future so much potential.

Cheers mick

Excellent one more convert, NATIVES ROCK.

Without using Green water Mick, a lot of Mulm in the tank helps and don't keep anything with them, as for food, Hard boiled Egg yoke and Spirulina powder but both in moderation. Put the egg yoke in a piece of stocking and give it a light shake in the tank then back in the fridge and chuck it after 4 days.

You won't get many through but they are the ones you want, because they will be bigger and more suited to Aquarium life.

Like a lot of things we breed easy now (even Bristle nose), at one time they were dam hard to breed and raise, but through aquarium selection they get easier. Look at Discus, anyone can breed them now and that's a good thing.

Bob

Thanks for the advice bob. The line "don't keep anything with them" excited me, that means another tank, yeah.

I will start by separating the two berried ones and drip acclimatize them to a green water tank.

Luckily I have a few litres of green water in the pond. And I can cover the bottom with mulberry and banna leaves to create some mulm.

Is there a temp that is preferred. I am a wus when it comes to cold so my house is around 25 degrees all winter, aircon stays on for three months solid lol. So shouldn't need a heater.

Cheers mick

25 is fine Mick

Why do you think I live here, I use to live in Dayboro NW of Brisbane and I have never done cold well or silently LOL, if it starts with a 1 its to cold, 17 this morning at 5.30am, do you think I was silent? no way.

Its about 24 at the moment so its nice

Bob