My inline canister experiment

hsoje

I think the easiest way to get a carbon source would be, as fishmosy suggested, to use the balls they use for nitrate reactors, they will deplete over time as they are a usable carbon source for the anaerobic bacteria to use to reduce nitrates :encouragement:

I think the easiest way to get a carbon source would be' date=' as fishmosy suggested, to use the balls they use for nitrate reactors, they will deplete over time as they are a usable carbon source for the anaerobic bacteria to use to reduce nitrates :encouragement:[/quote']

Ill definatly look into it...

has anyone had any experience with them? got any recomendations ?

I've never used a nitrate reactor in my own tanks but I have installed them for other people, they use a dosing pump to move the water slowly through the reactor & the anaerobic bacteria slowly use up the balls as a source of carbon, they also use nitrogen & phosphorus from the tank water in something called the Redfield's Ratio(not sure what it is exactly, I'd have to look it up, I think it's 106:16:1 of C:N:P). They work very effectively in removing nitrates but, as fishmosy has already mentioned, they don't add any vital trace elements that the shrimp will need to moult & grow their new shell. so some water changes will still be needed once these elements are depleted :victorious:

Interesting never thought of using a doseing pump to slowly move water through media. Looks like you've given me some good weekend reading for the next few weeks...ahaha

Yeah you just have to make sure the pump has enough flow to lower the nitrates but then not too much to allow the water to de-oxygenate, calcium reactors work the same way for saltwater tanks, slowly dosing calcium for the corals & other invertebrates. There is so much you can read up on this sort of thing, I've been keeping fish for a long time & I'm always reading & learning stuff every day that I didn't know, that's what I love about this addiction(some might say it's an addiction to knowledge), there's always something to learn :victorious:

Ditto squiggle definatly not a hobby for the people who don't like to read