automatic fish feeders

michael

Just wondering if anyone has used any type of automated feeder. Just curious if these could be used for shrimp. I know the biggest problem is going to be portion size as I dont want to overfeed them and cause water quality issues.

Hi Michael, have used the Eheim Auto Feeder, and reckong they are EXCELLENT, BUT I wouldnt use them for shrimps.... If you're going on hols, or away, there are things you can do to prepare them....

Not sure on the use with shrimp, but I have used them on Fresh water snub nose Gar fish with success, maybe if you used a high end one but I can not see the use for one with shrimp when you have the option of using leaves.

Bob

I am going to be working away for a while coming back every week or 10 days so I can do water changes then. My wife can feed them but I didnt want to put that on her and overfeed them thats why I was thinking about the automated feeders.

I would suggest not to buy on line then and go to a shop and look in person, then decide, yes you will pay a bit more but if you have to buy twice it is no longer cheep to buy on line.

Bob

Just give her strict instructions on what to feed and when and write it down! I'd trust a human over a mechanical feeder anyway! If she forgets its not the end of the world as the shrimps can live off biofilm for a few days.

I work away and this is what I do with my boyfriend. It's worked well for the past 6 months :)

Good suggestion Tore, less is more. I just had lost Zebra shrimp go 20 days without food and the survivors are AOK. Indian Almond leaves are a good back up

Bob

+1 Bob, almond leaves & mulberry leaves are awesome holiday foods, set & forget, too easy :victorious:

I have mulberry leaves and Indian almond leaves in the tanks and they get fed every 2/3 days. It works fine for us. Michael, if you're only away for a week of so, you wife would probably only need to feed 2 or 3 times...

And like Bob, I just had a pack of golden bees go 14 days without food too!

OH yea I forgot about that Tor, they are survivors and I think we tend to be hypnotised by them to feed me feed me LOL

From one shrimp watcher to another, don't panic drop in some leaves and get the wife to feed a couple of times a week and all will be good with the shrimp world.

Bob

Thanks for all your tips guys greatly appreciated. I have plenty of iol already use them a fair bit. Where does everyone get there mulberry leaves from thanks. Do one of our sponsers have them

You can pick them off a tree :encouragement:

Or if you don't have any trees nearby, a nice member might send you some :encouragement:

Who are you referring to Tor, hahaha :smiley_simmons:

PM me your address michael if you can't find a tree & I'll go get some from my local stash :victorious:

Well then I guess its both of us? or are we the normal ones and non shrimp keepers are the weird buggars????

Bob

You could try getting the weekly pill boxes from a chemist, add the amount of food you normally feed to each of the days (the individual sections) and have your wife feed the shrimp using this. You could even leave days empty to be extra sure.

• HOF Member

What a great idea! Thanks Fishmosy that will help me with my son coming here to feed the fish too!

I can't take the credit for that idea. I read as much as I can get my hands on and really useful tips like this tend to pop up from time to time in aquarium magazines. I find the most informative articles are those that are on an aquarist and his/her fishroom as they tend to give hints about novel techniques or equipment.