tough little cherries

ineke

• HOF Member

I have a container outside that holds maybe 10 litres. i put any little bits of moss and some of my moss tiles in there to grow out and make tasty morsels for my shrimp. I just went out to have a look and saw a 1 cm cherry in there. Our temp overnight is getting down to 4-7 and then during the day the water warms up quite a bit because it's in the sun most of the day. I caught the shrimp out but then saw another one and though I tried to catch it there were too many hiding places so in the end I put the one I caught back in to the container to keep the other one company.

Lesson there to check moss properly for hitch hikers. I am now thinking of making a pond out of the dogs clam shell pool that they never use and putting my really low grade cherry culls in there. They might stand a better chance than in with the fish.

They certainly are tougher than we give them credit for!:D

They most certainly are, I have many a time had a tub of water with some bits of plant in it and been about to tip the lot out only to discover some cherry shrimp have been happily living in the water avoiding the dogs drinking them and huge temp fluxuations.

• HOF Member

I have set up the clam shell pool that the dogs don't like and put them in that. As I siphon my tanks I will top it up and put my cherry culls in there. If the survive winter I will move them into the shade for summer. I will put what ever types of cherry culls I have all in together and see what they make:encouragement:

I think I have read on a European forum about cherry shrimp being in ponds that freeze over during Winter. I might try it in the the water feature pond I have in the back yard - it freezes on some mornings.

• HOF Member

These little ones were looking very fit and healthy and now I've put them is deeper larger amount of water so they should be fine for winter it's summer that might be a problem.

I found a red rill in my pond whilst I was revamping it a while ago...it was huge, extremely red, and in fact had the most perfect rilli pattern.....mid summer, so pond temp would have gone up to 30+, down to 8-10 in the evening ? Tested the WP...PH - 8, TDS - 750 ! The pond was full of algae.

You've made me wonder if I have any shrimps in my outside plant tub now!

Any plans to add some sort of a filter to your pond ineke?

I am very interested in peoples ponds, considered doing one but in summer lots of king browns and rat snakes are about so kinda puts me off.

I did not realise they would tolerate such low temps. I would be careful about adding warmer water from the water changes Ineke, it might be to quicker change, I know lots of aquatic critters can live in low temps but it is the sudden changes that gets them.

Bob

• HOF Member

I won't be adding a filter this is just a little paddling pool .

Thanks Bob I will leave the water in bucket outside over night so it should be equal temperature.

I wasn't planning this at all just feel happier putting culls in a pool to take their chances.

The area the pool is in is away from any undergrowth etc surrounded by concrete, it will get early afternoon sun , I have put all my moss tiles in there , a bit of gravel and a few pots for hiding places now its up to them. When I put some more in I will acclimatise them over the course of the day by putting a small amount of pool water into the container , leave them for a while and repeat until there is more pool water than tank water in the container. I will need to think about rain over flow as well.

the pool probably holds 100 litres or so not large at all.

Rain over flows can be dangerous, as most things will try to migrate at rainy times, as in walk up the water flow.

You were nice Ineke for a change by not removing it friend ( you are always nice)

Bob

Today i decided to get some of the plants out of my outside container and put them in my rack... I whacked a heap in a bucked and hydrogen peroxided it. Added the plants then just now i tipped the hydrogen peroxide water down the sink and what jumped out? A little cherry! Amazing! I wonder what else is in that outside container!!

• HOF Member
Rain over flows can be dangerous, as most things will try to migrate at rainy times, as in walk up the water flow.

You were nice Ineke for a change by not removing it friend ( you are always nice)

Why thank you Bob- where have you been I missed you again -even said it in a post!

I won't fill the pool to the top and if they survive the rest of the winter I will rehouse the pool under cover so it won't have the sun boiling them. I put a couple of others in there too because they seem happier when there are more together. Lots of moss , hiding places and even an occasional bit of tucker and we will see what happens:D.