• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Timmeh

• Robert

• ninja

• 2OFUS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work on the cabinetry' date=' Timmeh. As I said before just a bit Sus. On only one hole in the tanks for water flow?

You can come and build my stands anytime.[/quote']

Thanks for the kind words. Water flow doesnt seem to be a problem at all. The main reason for the holes joining the tank was more so I can do selective breeding without having different water temps etc so it minimizes any problems when moving to and fro.

If people want cabs/stands made I would be happy to help out.

Might be able to update tonight. Otherwise on friday it will be ;)

Thanks for the kind words. Water flow doesnt seem to be a problem at all. The main reason for the holes joining the tank was more so I can do selective breeding without having different water temps etc so it minimizes any problems when moving to and fro. QUOTE]

Yes that is a big advantage in racks and divided tanks.

Indeed it is. I thought long and hard about it but seeing another tank similar to mine with a similar setup except they were running a sump buikt into the tank. I didnt want to go sump as noise/room and the possible loss of shrimp made me cringe haha!

Okay, so I have another small update for those of you that are interested in the setup.

So, last Thursday Robert came over and gave me a hand with my tank,

He firstly added some BENIBACHI MINERAL POWDER and ADA BACTER 100 to each of the floors of the tank

post-3161-139909852382_thumb.jpg

post-3161-139909852387_thumb.jpg

We then proceeded to put (1) x Bag of ADA AMAZONIA NEW NORMAL in each section (some may think overkill but this is what I ordered and miss-calculated)

post-3161-139909852391_thumb.jpg

post-3161-139909852396_thumb.jpg

post-3161-139909852401_thumb.jpg

post-3161-139909852406_thumb.jpg

Then finished all the sections together with (1) x ADA AMAZONIA NEW POWDER (to stop any smaller shrimp from hiding underneath the soil)

post-12-139909862205_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909862208_thumb.jpg

Next step was to put the empty bags of ADA in the tanks to then fill the tanks ( as most of you know this helps to not stir the soil)

post-12-139909862213_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention there are (5) drilled holes in the centre sections for water to move from tank to tank (therefore allowing me to do more selective breeding and being able to move shrimp to and from each section) I have used fine SS mesh, siliconed on to cover up each hole.

post-12-13990986221_thumb.jpg

Time to fill the tank!!

post-522-139909862217_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850953_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850957_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850961_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850965_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850969_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850974_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850978_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850982_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850986_thumb.jpg

post-1666-13990985099_thumb.jpg

post-1666-139909850995_thumb.jpg

Slowly filling the tank so it will be clear

1004728_10152021725773989_297826221_n.jpg

Robert watching the water rise :victorious:

945034_10152021726593989_836250517_n.jpg

Filled!

480106_10152021727113989_544543249_n.jpg

As you can kind of see, I have (2) types of filtration I have (5) x Twin sponge filters running off a (6) outlet air pump (one of which I will use in the lower 2ft tank *in the future*) and im also running an eheim 2213 from the first tank to the last tank, water flows around each tank from the sponges and the canister pulls water through the (5) drilled holes I have in the centre sections of the tank.

1010280_10152021727153989_1193601352_n.jpg

Will update again over the weekend Guys and Girls, Keep your eyes on the lookout :)

Tim

This weekend the tank should be pretty much in its final stages.

Plan is to seed the system by cleaning 1-2 of my Eheim 2215s giving the system a jump start.

Buy 5 pieces of morpani driftwood and add some Ceratophyllum Sp.

Order a Hydor inline heater.

Add some tester shrimp/

You are using ADA, you aren't planning on putting in tester shrimp in this weekend are you?

Looking pretty good dude, very nice! :encouragement: Definitely moving along a lot quicker than mine is, lol :victorious:

Looking good so far , many hands make light work keep up the good work boys

Cheers Twellsy

Why wouldnt we add tester shrimp? Its only ADA soil. Id put money that theyll survive without a hiccup.

It would be so odd having flows battle each other from end to end Garry, i can even imagine now the flow of water would look haha

• 2 weeks later...

Update without photos, as I have already edited and watermarked enough photos today.

This week rob dropped around and seeded the system by cleaning 1-2 of his Eheim 2215s in my tanks, giving the system a jump start. Bought 5 pieces of morpani driftwood and added some tester shrimp. Added only 1 and he has been doing extremely well so tonight I added another 7. With a range of babies-adults. Will be leaving it at that for now. Until my hyrdo inline heater arrives as I dont trust the old eheim jager heater with these cold morning/nights.

This looks great! Has given me some new ideas for shrimping

I think you will find ADA takes a lot longer to cycle than Benibacci!

Why are you so against ADA? Have you had a bad experience or have you just read about people having bad experiences? I really dont see why your so against it.

This looks great! Has given me some new ideas for shrimping

Glad I can contribute and give others ideas.

Why are you so against ADA? Have you had a bad experience or have you just read about people having bad experiences? I really dont see why your so against it.

It's a plant soil

people used it before benibachi for its buffer capability

that was all it was good for

Are we talking about the same soil, I am talking about ADA shrimp soil and I have nothing against it. But my tank took 2 months to cycle. Do you guys have test kits or are you just using shrimp as a test kit?

I've used Ada AMAZONIA NEW Normal and Powder in this tank. I understand Ada leeches a tonne of stuff into the water like fertilizers, where benibachi doesn't. The system is running fine with 8 shrimp in there already with no deaths after only having this tank set up for a mear 17 days. I have never used a test kit in my entire life. And ive been breeding different species of fish for a fair few years before it became very time consuming, never had any deaths from water problems or tanks not cycled for long enough.