Feeding shrimp algae

ineke

• HOF Member

I have some algae growing on the glass of my light fitting on my fish aquarium. I scraped some off and gave a bit to one lot of shrimp. They are fighting over it but I'm not sure if its OK to feed it to them and worried it might cause algae growth in the shrimp tank. Any thoughts on it? :encouragement:

+1 mine are eating algae from everywhere else. Can't see the harm. Maybe remove any they don't each in a hour or so?!?

• HOF Member

It falls apart so spreads around they finished the first bit in about 15 minutes and are searching for more. Just don't want algae growing everywhere. I will give them some more tomorrow as they surely do love it:encouragement:

I feed mine Algae Wafers so im sure algae is fine too :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Hi Torface yes I know algae is fine they love it when I let it grow on the glass but I wondered if by putting it loose in the tank would it end up growing on things.:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Mine will graze on the glass when the algae is new:encouragement:

is it just green dust/spot algae?

Im tempted to get some otto's to clean it up.

• HOF Member

I recently planted out my fish tank and had an algae bloom I noticed my light was a bit dull and found the cover has a sheet of algae on it so I was scraping it off when I thought the shrimp might like it. It's not growing in the tank just on the light cover. Fish can't reach it:encouragement:

The only one to worry about is Blue Green algae and it is not always toxic, I see shrimp in the wild eating Blue green in some creeks but not all creeks.

Bob

I scrape the algae that grows on the underside of the lids off & give it to my shrimpies & they swarm it before it hits the substrate & it's gone in no time :victorious:

• HOF Member

I have been giving them algae for a few days now and they prefer that to any thing else that I give them except blanched broccoli I finally found 2 foods they love. I have also got all my tanks to 0 nitrates from 5-10 over the last few weeks so my heavy handed feeding is no longer. More vegies has made all the difference plus when they do get commercial food they will eat most of it now. I rarely have to siphon food out. Huge step forward:encouragement:

That's awesome news Ineke, that's such a big step forward, well done! :victorious:

I have algae growing in all my tanks, and I find that all my shrimp love it . I often see the back walls covered with shrimp lapping it up.

• HOF Member

I don't clean my back glass and only the sides if they get really bad. I wasn't sure of the type of algae on my fish tank lights but they have all eaten it and all alive so must be good!