moving babies

ineke

• HOF Member

What age would it be safe to move mishling juvies. I am waiting for my tank to cycle -it's almost there -then my mishlings will be moved into that tank. I have babies born 1/6 and wonder when they would be ok to move . I can leave them by themselves in their current tank but prefer to keep them together. Any suggestions. They will be moving from a small 30 cm cube to a 30" very deep tank and when I change them I will do it over 3-4 hours by the drip method.

I moved all my CBS in to my rack at the same time. There were some teeny tiny babies in with the lot (probably no more than 1 week old). I didn't count them, but there's still zillions of them so they did alright :)

• HOF Member

Thanks Torface , I've done it with cherries but I believe mishlings are touchy but I would be happy to be proved wrong. It won't be for at least a week because I will continue to let the tank filter for a few days after it has cycled so they will be a month old it's just they look so little!!!:)

The more you fuss, the more they die lol

Somebody more experienced may be able to give you a better answer, but I just thought id let you know my experience :)

I treat my mischlings just the same as my other shrimp and they do fine :)

• HOF Member

Thanks Torface I haven't been that fussy with them their tank is treated the same it's just I remember Ninja warning me that TBbabies don't like dust from their soil so thought may be these babies would be the same- not that there will be dust. :encouragement:

I think as long as your tank has cycled and you acclimatise them well, they'll be fine :)

• HOF Member

These are my first non cherry babies so I don't have any experience with them and if they die because of my mishandling I will be most upset! My poor cherries get no special treatment they are tuff little things!!! I accidentally transferred some into a non cycled tank had no idea they were in there so no food only the moss they must have hidden in during the transfer and they survived -I felt a very bad shrimp mama when I finally realised:o

I don't know if this helps but I just moved house and I think most of my shrimplets survived... They were in bags and buckets for 12 hours and they did ok... I wont lie they were not happy about it but if they are strong and healthy I would imagine they would be ok...

If its 3mm long I figure it can be moved, it either lives or dies and most seem to live. Haven't seen any bodies floating around for the

young ones, personally I think they adapt better than the adults so I like to move them when young if possible, especially my mishings

as they get relocated into a separate tank that has more moss than the regular one, also means they don't need to compete with the

adults.

• HOF Member
If its 3mm long I figure it can be moved' date=' it either lives or dies and most seem to live. Haven't seen any bodies floating around for the

young ones, personally I think they adapt better than the adults so I like to move them when young if possible, especially my mishings

as they get relocated into a separate tank that has more moss than the regular one, also means they don't need to compete with the

adults.[/quote']

looks like its me that needs to toughen up then! Thanks BigD :encouragement:

• HOF Member
I don't know if this helps but I just moved house and I think most of my shrimplets survived... They were in bags and buckets for 12 hours and they did ok... I wont lie they were not happy about it but if they are strong and healthy I would imagine they would be ok...

Thanks Jacet I only have 5-6 babies to move - never see them all at the same time- so want to make sure I don't lose any of them:encouragement:

If your still worried Ineke, just move one shrimplet first and see if it lives the next 24 hours.If it does live, then it should be safe. If it dies, then you only loose 1 shrimplet instead of all.

I remember moving SW shrimplets 3-4mm, 10 of them acclimated them for few hours then placed them in a breeder to monitor them, after 2 weeks I was left with 3...If you were to move them I suggest using a small cup/container instead of a net so they are never out of the water.

• HOF Member
If your still worried Ineke' date=' just move one shrimplet first and see if it lives the next 24 hours.If it does live, then it should be safe. If it dies, then you only loose 1 shrimplet instead of all.[/quote']

thats a good idea MrShrimp but what I'm trying to find out is should I leave them until they are a bit bigger. KiwibigD thinks young is best, but I guess which ever way will have its own risk.:encouragement:

• HOF Member
I remember moving SW shrimplets 3-4mm' date=' 10 of them acclimated them for few hours then placed them in a breeder to monitor them, after 2 weeks I was left with 3...If you were to move them I suggest using a small cup/container instead of a net so they are never out of the water.[/quote']

mmmm not very encouraging :(

Just move one first and see what happens. You can learn from this one shrimplet. If you don't, then you will never never know.

When I move shrimplets from my old to new tank, it's only 4mm and 15 of them. Just dipping for 4-5hours and they all good, some ready to breeding now :))

• HOF Member
Just move one first and see what happens. You can learn from this one shrimplet. If you don't' date=' then you will never never know.[/quote']

i must admit your idea does seem very sensible, now I just have to decide which one I'm willing to lose:(

• HOF Member
When I move shrimplets from my old to new tank' date=' it's only 4mm and 15 of them. Just dipping for 4-5hours and they all good, some ready to breeding now :))[/quote']

well done that's an excellent result:encouragement:

now I just have to decide which one I'm willing to lose:(

poor little shrimplet taking one for the team to full fill your hunger for knowledge. Your evil Ineke

( joke :) )

• HOF Member
poor little shrimplet taking one for the team to full fill your hunger for knowledge. Your evil Ineke

( joke :) )

I'm going to have nightmares now until the tank cycles and the deed is done!:crushed: