Shrimp breeding quedtions!

BiGGiE

Hi all

So have decided to order a dedicated shrimp breeding tank and it gets here next week!

So now my question is can i breed shrimp in pairs or do they need to be in a group?

Im looking to source some sss cbs and am sure i can find some quality shrimp from forum members here

Thinking best to start my breeding colony with high quality shrimp rather than culls!

If theres any advice anybody can offer thatd be much appreciated

Better yet if anyone would like to offer some sss cbs to start as my breeders thatd be even better!! LoL

Thanks all!!

You can breed either in pairs or in a group, with a group obviously producing more offspring. The other advantage of breeding with a group is that it will increase the genetic diversity of the shrimp in the tank, therefore you are less likely to end up with a bunch of fragile inbred shrimp. Breeding in pairs may be helpful if you are trying to produce a certain grade, pattern or colour.

If this is our first time breeding, I would suggest starting out with a mid range grade as higher grades tend to be more sensitive and leave smaller margins for error. As such A or S grades might be better for you, not to mention less costly to start and less costly if a mistake occurs.

Don't write off culls either, they are great starting points for novice breeders as they tend to be a bit hardier and can produce interesting offspring, or can be used to hone linebreeding skills. Taking low or mid grade shrimp to high grade shrimp through line breeding is a worthy challenge.

+1 Agree, starting with low grade cull is a great idea, you get a much better eye for line breeding & deciding what to cull & what to keep because the difference between the two is more obvious, whereas with higher grade high quality shrimp the difference is not so obvious :victorious:

Thanks for the replies guys!

i just thought it mightve been better to start with quality shrimp so i can get quality babies

im currently keeping crs atm but only low grades so was thinking of upping the ante!

maybe ill start with some ss culls and go from there and hopefully pick up some through the forum

Finally starting to put effort into breeding them as opposed to just keeping them in a planted tank and im quite excited and i cant wait to start the journey

once again thanks for the help and if theres any more info i should know please tell me lol

I started with quality shrimp and most of my babies are SS grade. I can see SSS grade shrimplets starting to come through aswell mostly crown head pattern. I might have 10percent or less S grade.

I think it is important to have a quality colony at first providing your water chemistry is good and a well cycled tank.

If you set up your tank with Benibachi soil and have moss with good filtration you can't go wrong as the soil usually sets the conditions needed for crystal shrimp.

Thanks Jonny

does anyone see a problem with laying down ada amazonia on the bottom and benibachi on top?

Make sure you get shrimp that haven't been bred with golden or white genes as well. A lot of people used those to increase the better patterns in their offspring.

I can't see a problem with mixing the 2 soils. I use Benibachi and Shrimp Sand.

So how do u know they havent been bred with golden or white genes?

A bit harder to define, but if you see closely on the solid white bands, make sure they don't have tinge of yellowish/golden colour in the white. Pure whites are actually harder/rarer to get anyway.

Any reccomendations of where to start with breeding stock guys?

im so excited i camt wait!

with crystals is there any advantage with ro water with salty shrimp mineral?

Highly recomment. RO water and salty shrimp are really good. U can control TDS and also so the mineral in the water

Quality cull cbs?

I dont get it.

Youre either asking for quality shrimp or cull grade shrimp

Ive seen different levels of what ppl consider culls...

some are brownish with horrible whites

some ive seen solid black but washed out whites...

i meant finding some nicer culls as opposed to really bad ones

dont u agree that different ppl have would have different levels of what they call culls?

or am i wrong?

Hi Biggie.. I know exactly what you mean, and thanks JohnX....I'm gonna be posting a sale of a number of my shrimps this Saturday, so keep a watch on the For Sale section.

Will be watching for sale section like a hawk. :)

Good luck with breeding project Biggie.

Hi Biggie.. I know exactly what you mean' date=' and thanks JohnX....I'm gonna be posting a sale of a number of my shrimps this Saturday, so keep a watch on the For Sale section.[/quote']

I know this one is going to hurt my wallet, can't wait to see what goodies you've got for us BB, very exciting :victorious:

dont u agree that different ppl have would have different levels of what they call culls?

or am i wrong?

I know what you mean too :)

You should get your hands on some of deans "culls" :encouragement:

Thinking best to start my breeding colony with high quality shrimp rather than culls!

I wouldn't do this if you are just starting out on CBS/CRS

I suggest you buy some cheap culls and if they do fine in your shrimp for say a month then buy expensive SSS.

You will waste a lot of money if you just start with high grades without any experience

My2cents