Some random shrimp...

jacet

Just some of my freaks that popped up over the last couple of months... post-3620-139909852257_thumb.jpgpost-3620-139909852262_thumb.jpgpost-3445-139909852267_thumb.jpgpost-1938-139909862073_thumb.jpg

post-599-139909861332_thumb.jpg

post-599-139909861337_thumb.jpg

post-599-13990986134_thumb.jpg

post-599-139909861344_thumb.jpg

Very cool pics dude, keep up the good work, thanks for sharing :encouragement:

• HOF Member

What shrimp are they ? Cherries , crystals, tigers? I ask because Wayne has some cherries throwing stripes as well

I am not sure what they are.. Short story they are crosses how it happened I don't know I just have to clarify it could happen..

Wow cool...hope you've it plans for more tankssssssss, and selective breed these. :-)

Yes Crystal x Cherry... Well I had 3 girls crystals and 1 male cherry in a tank because they should not breed and then these things turned up...

Yes Crystal x Cherry... Well I had 3 girls crystals and 1 male cherry in a tank because they should not breed and then these things turned up...

They shouldnt interbreed they are different species of shrimp.

Baby cherry shrimp are tiny perhaps they hid in the plants?

Great work mate, looks like we are heading into the same area. unsure if they are crosses but great to see. Are you going to keep working on them? Cheers

Wayne

+1 ... if they were crosses between crystals and cherries, we'd all have some because im pretty sure most of us keep or have kept crystals and cherries together. They do look pretty cool though, good photots :encouragement:

Very possible about the plants but the issue with that is them plants where with the CRS for 6 months so I am sure I would notice an extra cherry... I am well aware they are different specie and should not inter breed but unless a male CRS has walked from the other side of the room had his business with the girls and walked back I don't know what else it could be...

+1 ... if they were crosses between crystals and cherries' date=' we'd all have some because im pretty sure most of us keep or have kept crystals and cherries together. They do look pretty cool though, good photots :encouragement:[/quote']

Maybe not. I have had 2 species of fish breeding in a tank with no crosses until I lost one of the males, then they started crossing.

I dont fancy redheads. But if I was trapped on an island with nothing but redheads I would change my mind eventually.

I have heard of it before but dismissed it as someone talking crap. But here I see pictures that look like it can happen. How else would you explain the white stripes?

Or maybe they just got drunk lol.

Cheers mick

Maybe not. I have had 2 species of fish breeding in a tank with no crosses until I lost one of the males' date=' then they started crossing.

I dont fancy redheads. But if I was trapped on an island with nothing but redheads I would change my mind eventually.

I have heard of it before but dismissed it as someone talking crap. But here I see pictures that look like it can happen. How else would you explain the white stripes?

Or maybe they just got drunk lol.

Cheers mick[/quote']

There are lots of things that "cross".. I am a smart man I would like to think... I have thought of every thing possible for it not to be a cross and just can not think of anything apart from them leaving the tank and walking across the room... I would love for some one to prove me wrong so then I don't get the millions of questions that I can not answer... I don't know of any way to tell if they are "crossed" from looking at them..

• HOF Member

Mmm only thing I can say is smart man or not we all make mistakes with sexing shrimp and if one of your Crystals has a Tiger in the background that would give shrimp like that. On the other hand if it truly is a cross WOW all the experts have been proven wrong!!!

If you know which shrimp had the babies could you put her in a breeding tank with the male Cherry because if it happened once it could happen again and then you would have proof positive and be an overnight star of the shrimp world. I'm serious it would be a way to prove unless you give up a baby to someone with a microscope who can check out the bits that need checking to prove what it is

Only had girl crystals in there as they all carried eggs before the crystal male died... the boy was ss and the girls are a really cr@appy s and a.. I might try that getting them together again... Just have to fix my main display tank so I can have a spare spot for them... Mate if I have done it I am sure as s@$t that some one else has...

• HOF Member

Yes but no one wants to believe its possible so if you can prove it by doing it again people will listen. But the only real way I guess is DNA and that's not likely to happen. Gosh though that would open up a whole new can of worms wouldn't it. We all keep the two mixed and who knows what the other interesting shrimp we have seen haven't been a cross. Good luck:encouragement:

where would I get them DNA tested... I want to be proven right or wrong..if that makes sense.. I was happy with my freaky looking shrimp.. lol..

• HOF Member

I don't know about that but I know under microscope there are some differences it was mentioned on one of the threads that a member was going to look at something on a shrimp under the microscope to classify it. Don't know what they were looking for but hopefully someone reading this may remember or know what to look for. Bob may know and possibly Fishmosy :encouragement:

Definitely a X of some sorts, the white marking is an unusual variation. Without knowing it's history, it does look like a typical Tibee....

null-3-1.jpg

There was a previous post from one of our more "scientific" members with regards to the different species having different sex organs, making it "impossible" (?) for them to x breed. Great if we could perhaps get their opinion.

These grandparents are from yellow male x red female. Parents: f1 female(wild cherry pattern) x blue rilli male. I think they are wild cherry throw backs.

gwjx.jpg

Wild cherry has a pattern???? I thought they where clearish....

• HOF Member

Squiggle put an article from amazonas on yesterday and it has some pictures of wild cherries it was an interesting article

I'm with Jonny Dexter on this, its far more likely that its a wild cherry throw back.

Crystals (Cardina) and cherries (Neocardinia) are not in the same genus, which makes it highly unlikely that they will create hybrids. Species within the same genus are more likely to hybridise bcause their DNA/chromosomes are more compatiable. I'm not saying it can't happen, just more likely that it hasn't happened.

Likewise the only evidence that it could be a hybrid is the white stripes, which as Jonny as shown appears in cherries wihout any hybridisation.

Finally, from personal experience I can say shrimp can find their way into other tanks so easily. On nets, in buckets/containers used to transfer water (ever double checked an empty bucket only to find a shrimp in there?) ect. ect.

I will give one example where I moved moss on tile from one tank containing wild type cherries into a tank with juvenile (not breeding) chocolates. I checked and double checked the moss to make sure there were no wild type cherries but months later I've found half a dozen wild type cherries in my choc tank, and I know they aren't coming from the chocs because the chocs aren't breeding.