Taiwan Bee shrimplet survival rates

CNgo2006

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what type of survival rates you guys are getting from your TB babies? I am pretty sure I am just getting up to around 60% of shrimplets surviving, of course this means that only the strongest will survive. So what about you guys, care to share your percentages?

Thanks Chi

IMO, with TDS @ 100-180, PH <6.8 & GH 4-5, plus ample food (natural & powder), your survival rate should be higher. Any sudden changes in water temp (due to water changes etc), will also play a part. I generally get between 9-12 shrimplets per batch, probably equating to 85-100%, so definitely a possibility to aim for a higher %.

Hmm interesting All WP are within what you have have stated...water changes are once a week at only 10%, top ups with RO water. Might have to start heating the water up first before dripping it in but dripping in slowly should not affect the temperature much?

There's so many variables, espacially once we're discussing 60-90% survival rate... Each tanks behaviour is so different, just gotta try and determine what works best for you...part of the thrill ! BUT make no mistake Chi, you're there, so congrats mate !

Thanks Marcus....will see if that percentage rises once I get them in the rack once it's up and running. I really hope so! Have noticed some really nice ones not making it :sorrow:.

It looks like 100% for us

baby bb's and pandas everywhere

Good to hear buddy!

Nice to aim for 100% survival rates. Not sure weekly WC is a good, as the more consistent WP the better. I'd do once per fortnight at most and no more that 15% of the tank.

Less is more with shrimp breeding...

Nice to aim for 100% survival rates. Not sure weekly WC is a good' date=' as the more consistent WP the better. I'd do once per fortnight at most and no more that 15% of the tank.

Less is more with shrimp breeding...[/quote']

I have never done a water change on our shrimp tanks

Only top ups

only occasionally do water changes on the nano tank that's about it.

I have also never clean the filters

any of them !!! :)

Only top ups

Wooohoooo! :triumphant: It looks like I will be fine keeping these beauties! :p

Only top ups

I never used to do WCs but ive started since ive had the rack. Might see if it works not bothering again... What's your nitrate readings?

Don't know

i rarely test my water

Everytime I test my water I then Get paranoid and start fiddling with things

Don't know

i rarely test my water

Everytime I test my water I then Get paranoid and start fiddling with things

Hahaha, I know what you mean dude, I only check TDS about once a week or so, you can tell if there's something wrong with the tank by the way they act, this is why shrimp staring is such a great sport, lol :victorious:

Nice to aim for 100% survival rates. Not sure weekly WC is a good' date=' as the more consistent WP the better. I'd do once per fortnight at most and no more that 15% of the tank.Less is more with shrimp breeding...[/quote']How, my tanks evaporate about 10l of water per week. Unless you have a big tank?Wouldn't your TDS eventually go up and up? I tried this and my TDS eventually went so high I had to bring it down with RO? Even if you do a pure RO top up your tds would still build build up over time from the food and stuff you put in your tank. Evaporated water won't get rid of solids in your tank no?

In my system, I do approx. 5% WC each week, with just RO water for exactly that reason (TDS rising), 10% every 2-3 weeks with salty shrimp. Tried not doing WC previously, and it didnt work. No doubt the shrimps will "acclimatise" to the gradual rise in TDS etc.... But it all builds up, and eventually the levels of docs...etc, may cause the tank to crash... especially since most of my tanks are nano's. Besides, I find WC therapeutic. LOL

+1 Agree BB, you just get in a zone & the sound of the water is just so soothing, I also get this while siphoning the detritus off the bottom of my fish breeding tanks :encouragement:

How, my tanks evaporate about 10l of water per week. Unless you have a big tank?
Holly crap dude, how bug is your tank? Do you have lids on it? 10L a week is a lot of water, most people are doing that as a WC :confused:

I get that kind of evaporation on my tanks without lids on.... There was a point there when we were topping up the sump every other day!

Which reminds me, really must call you about the auto top up thing, always so busy these days and I forget!

How many liters was the tank Tor, was it the 4ft? This is another reason I have lids on every tank :encouragement:

Call me whenever you need to, should come up while you're off & I'll show you how my top up works & we can work out the easiest way to get yours installed :victorious:

Squiggle, if you've got the time/energy, maybe do a article for a sticky on Auto Top Up System's ?

The tank in my living room now with the discus in. The evaporation was insane! I have lids now though so it's not too bad. I get quite a lot of evaporation from my rack too, but I cant put lids on the bottom 3 tanks cos of the way the water comes in.

I figured out that one of the noisiest things about it was the sump getting a bit low from evaporation and the pump sucking up a bit of air and pumping bubbles. It's extremely difficult to get the levels right in that thing though, put too much water in and the level in the top tank gets too high.... Im yet to find the perfect settings for it. The bottom tanks are fine as they all have overflows but the 3 top ones only have 1 for the 3 so I have to be really careful not to pump too much water to the top, so I don't get as much water exchange as i'd like on those ones.

Last break I did a water change and for ease only sucked out water from 2 of the bottom sections. When I filled it back up I turned the taps down so the water flowing back in didn't disturb the soil too much. This made loads of water go into the top part and next thing I knew, water was pouring down the back, it was a disaster. AND to make matters worse 4 of my shrimps got into that stupid bioball section!! I had to stay up late the night before coming back to work taking all the bioballs out to catch these bloody shrimp! Nightmare!

If you didn't work normal person hours it's be easy to come for a visit LOL i'm playing in a polo tournament this weekend but maybe next :)

How' date=' my tanks evaporate about 10l of water per week. Unless you have a big tank?

Wouldn't your TDS eventually go up and up? I tried this and my TDS eventually went so high I had to bring it down with RO?

Even if you do a pure RO top up your tds would still build build up over time from the food and stuff you put in your tank. Evaporated water won't get rid of solids in your tank no?[/quote']

Ro water is pretty much being dripped in constantly

My tds sits around 200

The tank in my living room now with the discus in. The evaporation was insane! I have lids now though so it's not too bad. I get quite a lot of evaporation from my rack too' date=' but I cant put lids on the bottom 3 tanks cos of the way the water comes in. I figured out that one of the noisiest things about it was the sump getting a bit low from evaporation and the pump sucking up a bit of air and pumping bubbles. It's extremely difficult to get the levels right in that thing though, put too much water in and the level in the top tank gets too high.... Im yet to find the perfect settings for it. The bottom tanks are fine as they all have overflows but the 3 top ones only have 1 for the 3 so I have to be really careful not to pump too much water to the top, so I don't get as much water exchange as i'd like on those ones.Last break I did a water change and for ease only sucked out water from 2 of the bottom sections. When I filled it back up I turned the taps down so the water flowing back in didn't disturb the soil too much. This made loads of water go into the top part and next thing I knew, water was pouring down the back, it was a disaster. AND to make matters worse 4 of my shrimps got into that stupid bioball section!! I had to stay up late the night before coming back to work taking all the bioballs out to catch these bloody shrimp! Nightmare!If you didn't work normal person hours it's be easy to come for a visit LOL i'm playing in a polo tournament this weekend but maybe next :)[/quote']Yeah I thought it might be that tank, that's about 400L & 4x2 surface area, it would get a fair bit of evaporation with no lids on it :encouragement:Doh, that's a bummer & we will have to take a look at it to try & increase the outflow so this doesn't happen. I'll have a look at the bottom shelf too, I'm sure there will be a way to put some sort of lid on there. :victorious:I'm sure we'll work something out, good luck in your horsey games, lol :smiley_simmons:Mine is the same, constantly changing water, very stable WP :victorious:

+1 Agree BB' date=' you just get in a zone & the sound of the water is just so soothing, I also get this while siphoning the detritus off the bottom of my fish breeding tanks :encouragement:

Holly crap dude, how bug is your tank? Do you have lids on it? 10L a week is a lot of water, most people are doing that as a WC :confused:[/quote']

I dunno how man, my tank is only 50cm cubed so 120L ish

It is 23c atm and in my living room with no windows opened.

Every week I lose 10l water, not sure how or why

And no lid