Twellsy's 3ft Divided Tank

Twellsy

Hey All ,

I have had this 3ft take running for several months now ( housing some neon tetras , black neon tetras , bristle nose catfish ) slowly but surly I have started to neglect the tank and have been wanting to turn it into a shrimp tank

So it was decided that the tank will be turned into a divided shrimp tank ( gave all the fish to a friend of mine )

The stand I made several months ago but will be reused ( construction photos are old )

The frame

image_zps408249b5.jpg

Starting to look like a Tank stand

image_zps32cd58a4.jpg

Construction completed ( the door handles where my wifes idea of a joke )

image_zpsff146fdd.jpg

After sending the tank to be modified I got stuck into redoing the stand

What it looked like before starting the new light poles

image_zpsdebd891e.jpg

image_zpsd41af5a4.jpg

Couple of hours spent making and installing the new light poles ( the tank will be divided into three equal sections )

image_zpsd9687784.jpg

How it looks from the back with power board for the three lights

image_zps6fc8dc21.jpg

Cut a background out and painted it with the left over silver from my cube setup

image_zps8f996e42.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Twellsy

• Squiggle

• ineke

• JonX

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stand/cabinet build Twellsy! I can tell you are a DIY type o guy!

We got a mr build it here!

Nice stand/cabinet build Twellsy! I can tell you are a DIY type o guy!
Cheers mate ' date=' don't mind a bit of DIY
We got a mr build it here!
Like they say build it and they will come

Very nice tank stand dude' date=' looks awesome! :victorious:[/quote']

Cheers mate

AWESOME!

I wonder if my husband gets all inspired and builds a tank stand for me too if I show him those pics. :confused:

Better won't hold my breath.......;)

What's wrong with the handles? I like your wife's sense of humor! :)

AWESOME!

I wonder if my husband gets all inspired and builds a tank stand for me too if I show him those pics. :confused:

Better won't hold my breath.......;)

What's wrong with the handles? I like your wife's sense of humor! :)

Cheers

Just bug him until he says yes , nothing wrong with handles just wasn't what I asked her to get for me ( she said my 3 year old wanted them , the reason there still on ) and walked away laughing ( I also asked her to get a black stain she bought brown )

Thats an absolutely brilliant stand mate, you're pretty talented aren't you? Look forward to seeing it all up and running.

That is a magic looking cabinet. I want to build a shrimp rack and if it turnedbout half as good i would be stoked. Would you build them to sell

Thanks for the kind comments , I have got Red , Yellow , Sunkist Cherries and CRS ( going to get CBS and chocolates aswell ) no idea what is going where yet

The wife offered to go a pick my lights up today as I have to work , I think she might be coming around on the whole shrimp thing

Wouldn't have the time to build stands to sell , but would help out if someone needed a hand

Cheers Twellsy

Wouldn't have the time to build stands to sell ' date=' but would help out if someone needed a hand

Cheers Twellsy[/quote']

That's the SKF spirit! Good on ya mate!

sweet looking cabinet twellsy how long did it take you to make?

I spent 4 part days on the build ( should have been 1 day + 1 day painting ) had trouble with the drop saw not cutting straight. Next stand I will have all the wood cut at the shop then it is just a matter if glue and screw ( next stand will be an ADA style copy )

Cheers Twellsy

Quick Update

The Lights the wife picked up for me this morning

image_zpsebff54c7.jpg

On my way to work tonight I picked up 6kgs of Up Aqua Shrimp Sand ( total of 8kgs now ready to go ) and some light bulbs

image_zps37b5c65b.jpg

image_zpsfa08f60c.jpg

Just finished rewiring the lights , all ready to be hung

image_zps100b36a7.jpg

Very cool dude, can't wait to see this finished, thanks for sharing the pics :victorious:

I love the stand, it looks great. My old 7 foot tank, its stand had those handles too, so I feel your pain lol. I can't wait to see the finished product with all your shrimpies! :D

Thanks guys , can't wait to get the tank back so I can get started ( hopefully it will be ready on Monday )

Time to start looking for wood and rocks now

Cheers Twellsy

Hi All,

Picked the tank up this morning , ended up spending a few hours at the shop helping the owner finish building a 1meter cube ( glass looked like it was 20mm , braceless ) very nice tank

Lights installed , background added and tank in place

image_zps646ec4b3.jpg

Tanked moved to the lounge room

image_zpsdb8873f4.jpg

Started adding stuff , work in progress ( still need to get some more things )

image_zpsfe160cdb.jpg

Tank is looking awesome, I agree you'll need more soil. What shrimp are you putting in there? Can't wait see this progress, well done! :encouragement: