Fresh water limpets

ineke

I've got the same thing in my tank at work, it's a pearl bronze colour & changes colour in different light, looks pretty cool. Also, don't let Garnelchen here you talk about squishing snails, lol :victorious:

• HOF Member

I'm more worried about Bob he already calls me a murderer:crushed: I hate doing it but it has to be done! I might catch a few to put in the fish tank but I will have them forever then I can't reach the back corners of it. It's nice to have a couple of big snails but in different tanks . I'm surprised how quickly they grow its like there's nothing there and then a huge snail appears.:encouragement:

I have been thinking lately that bobs right ( dont let him know I said that lol). Native snails are the way of the future, much nicer looking and easier to "control" the population.

Cheers mick

• HOF Member

I haven't really looked into keeping native snails, don't know anything about their requirements. Once I have bigger tanks I might look into them but my smaller tanks probably don't need the extra bio load :encouragement:

Murderer, in answer to your colour question, Mick is right there is a lot of colours over seas, but they have not been smuggled into Australia and I hope they are not, rams horns can be a plant eater. But I will be looking for some later when I get a hold of some red lined puffers so I can breed some food for the Puffers.

Natives rock, most will never be a pest and some are a really great addition to a tank as well as easy to feed.

There you go MURDERERs LOL

Bob

Got some great snails last night and DAM I missed a Fresh Water Moray

• HOF Member

What are you getting old and slow missing the Moray?

I may look into some native snails later the ones you have shown look very interesting..

I must say the bronze ram is a beauty but I'm over run with enough unwanted livestock without these big fellas hanging around as well. If only they would eat the limpets :encouragement:

Oh man! Spewing you missed the ray, that would have been awesome :victorious:

I've got the same thing in my tank at work' date=' it's a pearl bronze colour & changes colour in different light, looks pretty cool. Also, don't let Garnelchen here you talk about squishing snails, lol :victorious:[/quote']

Squishing Snailys? Ineke! You snail murderer!

But I must admit, the ramshorn snails do multiply very fast. I have orange/yellow ones and brown ones in my shrimp tank.

Rather than squishing snails when they get to high in numbers in my shrimp tank, I put the Ramshorn snails in the freezer to "put them down". :(

I have moved some of the bigger yellow snails into the tank with my endlers and I find that they keep them under control by either eating the snail eggs or the newly hatched snails. :encouragement: And I do like having snails in my tanks because they do a great job on eating algea during the start up phase of a tank and they will get rid of any leftover food and dead plant matter. I find them very useful!

GO SNAILY! :victorious:

It is nice to know there is other Snail nutters out there.

I was just talking to a mate about Hair snails in the Gulf country, the one with lots of fine spines on them and there were others that came into the conversation.

The exploration never ends, we were talking about the Datinoids on the top of the Cape to

Bob

I don't know very much about snails, but I've always had a thing for them since I was little (keeping burgundy snails as pets).

I always love it when your snail stories and pics. Hairy Snails? Sounds very cool. I have to google them. :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Garnelchen you scare me more than Bob.:( I will try to put a few into the fish tank and see how that goes because they are lovely. i only squish little ones -that makes me feel worse now!!!!:crushed: I will take note about the freezer though if I get too many big ones.

• HOF Member

Mmmm I better not let anyone know if I still squish snails though:D

Yes, some things are better left unmentioned....like the fact that I like endlers better than shrimp. But don't tell anyone! :anonymous: