Fresh water limpets

ineke

• HOF Member

Gosh I'm full of questions today:D I have an out break of fresh water limpets. I thought they were seed shrimp but they are similar to barnacles so definitely limpets- if all the resources are right. Any idea of how to get rid of them? I squash them but there are heaps. I seem to be attracting all the bugs!!!!

Anything (chemicals) that works on snails should kill these guys. If they are on the glass, use a algae scraper to knock them off, then siphon them out.

I have had them die off in my tanks when the temp got above 27degrees C for extended periods (>5days), so maybe heating the tank to 30degrees C for a week could work assuming you don't have plants or shrimp!

I find limpets are pretty neat, the only thing I've ever seen get rid of green spot algae, plus they dont get too big so aren't too much of an eye-sore.

I have these Blighters in one of my planted tanks. they are hard to get rid of as i don't like using chemicals. Did not know they eat green spot algae but come to think of it that tank has never had a problem with it!

• HOF Member

Now Bob if I had some beauties like that I wouldn't be complaining:encouragement:

Bet they are not like this one??

SNAILLIMPET006.jpg

SNAILLIMPET020.jpg

Bob

Its about 2.5cm long

Wow they look a lot cooler then mine! haha

• HOF Member
Anything (chemicals) that works on snails should kill these guys. If they are on the glass' date=' use a algae scraper to knock them off, then siphon them out.

I have had them die off in my tanks when the temp got above 27degrees C for extended periods (>5days), so maybe heating the tank to 30degrees C for a week could work assuming you don't have plants or shrimp!

I find limpets are pretty neat, the only thing I've ever seen get rid of green spot algae, plus they dont get too big so aren't too much of an eye-sore.[/quote']

Unfortunately they are in my CRS tank so heat is not an option. I didn't mind so much when they were just on the back and side glass but they venture on to the front and I don't like that. I have used the magnetic cleaner but not sure if it kills them or just moves them. I'm trying to feel the love but its not working:)

Snail murderer LOL. they are not hurting the poor little things :sorrow:

I get about one of these snails a year, I have to go snorkeling there one day so I can get a few at a time to try to breed them, when I get brave and they just trapped the big Croc where they come from, so all hell will break loose for a while, there will be territory fights all over the place.

NEEDED ONE BRAVE DIVE BUDDY, or stupid will do.

Bob

• HOF Member
That will make a good field trip report LOL

Bob

Only if the croc doesn't get you.!!!!

I do feel like a murderer when I crush those poor little things but they need to learn their boundaries and it's not on the front glass!!:sour:

Dam you are a hard woman, your hubby must be scared LOL, I can be brave as I am a long way away :p

• HOF Member

Not that far that I can't get there. What if I win your contest we will see the sparks flying then;)

OH dam I did not think of that, any way I am going to where the snails are tonight. So that my be my out LOL

Bob

• HOF Member

Hope the croc doesn't make a meal out of you , you are not getting out of it that easy!!!! Have a great night!;)

• HOF Member

Bob seeing as you are the snail go to guru I have the most beautiful red ramshorn snail but it's a lovely bronze colour- do they come in other colours. I've tried taking pictures but the colour just doesn't show up. Don't know where it came from but I have a few in my tanks he is just a lucky one that has survived.

I have some black ones, do you want some? happy to give them away

• HOF Member

Thanks Wayne not sure if i want them or not. i'm fascinated by this big guy but don't really know anything about them. I thought they were only Red but now you have black and I have bronze I guess they come in a variety of colours. I'm not sure what they do in the tank or if you get over run with them?

Thanks Wayne not sure if i want them or not. i'm fascinated by this big guy but don't really know anything about them. I thought they were only Red but now you have black and I have bronze I guess they come in a variety of colours. I'm not sure what they do in the tank or if you get over run with them?

Hi ineke, ramshorns come in red black bronze brown that I have seen and also two sizes. I have small and large in red brown and bronze, the small grow to about a 5 cent piece size and large get to about 20 cent piece size. They can over run the tanks but I found if you have bristlenose in there they eat some of the eggs which keeps numbers under control.

Cheers mick

• HOF Member

Thanks Mick this guy is in with the shrimp so no one to eat the eggs. i have a few babies in other tanks so guess they came in on some plants. Probably shouldn't get any others then as I want shrimp tanks not snail tanks but he is beautiful!

If your not keen on keeping them I would remove them as soon as I possible. Once they start breeding you will have tons in no time.

This pic is about half of what bred in one tank over a month and there is still heaps of eggs to hatch.

20130615_190440_zps52a20838.jpg

Cheers mick

yes they are nice , but can be a bother. I saw some pictures of some blue ones in the UK but haven't seen them here

• HOF Member

Thanks Mick that made my mind up. I'm already removing heaps of babies and even the clown loaches in the fish tank don't want them any more. I will continue my squishing but don't tell Bob:encouragement: I will however keep the bigger ones I couldn't get my self to try to kill them and I only have a couple. What a shame such a nice creature can become a pest:(

I totally agree if they were easier to control numbers they would be pretty popular due to their range of colurs.

Cheers mick

• HOF Member

Oh Ninja don't get me started. I will try and get a picture of this guy tomorrow he is the most beautiful bronze I just can't explain. I will catch him out to try and show the iridescence. i could put them in with the fish but the tank is so big and deep I would be over run fairly quickly.:D