planting out plants

ineke

• HOF Member

I have ordered a 100 little plantlets of glossostigma elatinoides (not sure how they will go because I don't and won't have CO2) When they come would it be safer to catch the shrimp out of the tank while I plant them out? I have CRS and YCS in that tank with benibachi soil just a bit worried the shrimp won't like the soil disturbance very much. Also if I take them out can I put them back in again the same day?

Haven't done this before so thought I should ask, my instinct says take them out, do water test before I return them to the tank if no ammonia spike all is well if ammonia leave them out until it settles.

I know I might A) lose the plants or B) they might get long and leggy if not enough light . Thought it was worth a chance:D

I just tore out a truckload of hairgrass from my tank..

I was quite suprised, as soon as I had torn it up, the shrimp swap straight into the murky area.... It was like someone started throwing $100 notes from a rooftop! Every shrimp in town came past to see what was going on.

How big is the tank? I've got a 20gal so even if I did spike some ammonia, it would have been tiny in the scale of PPM. If the tank is a nano then disturbing the substrate could have a much larger imapact.

• HOF Member

It is a 70 litre tank (about 20gallons I think) with trickle filter and sponge filters. I know they like it when the soil is disturbed but yes it was the ammonia spike I was worried about.

I didn't disturb the substrate very much when I planted my val + rotala recently (in benibachi powder/up aquasoil mixture).

I'd say you can plant find with the shrimp still in the tank.

• HOF Member

Thank you will give it a go -won't be until next week :encouragement:

Oh ineke you shouldve said, I have some of this plant that i dont need! Oh well, it got chucked in with the rest of my unwanted plants so who knows if i could find it again lol

I grew it ok without CO2 by the way :)

I dont believe that disturbing your substrate will spike ur ammonia. Prehaps stress your shrimp slightly but the bacteria should be fine and even if it does knock some of the nitrifing bacteria off the substrate if your tank has been running for a while I think there will be more than enough bacteria to handle that change without affecting the ammonia levels.

• HOF Member

Thanks torface it was cheap anyway $10 for 100 plantlets and $2 delivery so not too bad. It's worth a try only thing is if it grows nicely I will have a carpet for all the babies to hide in and I won't be able to catch them. But as it's in the tank that isn't breeding I won't have a problem for a while:D

Oh thats super cheap :D

Mine grew ok, but like everything else, it would do better with CO2.

• HOF Member

Thanks Michael the tank has been running for a few months now and all WP's are stable so I will keep an eye on it. As to upsetting the shrimp they have plenty of room to get away from any area I am working so hope it will be OK

• HOF Member
Oh thats super cheap :D

Mine grew ok' date=' but like everything else, it would do better with CO2.[/quote']

I might look into co2 later but I'm new enough to shrimp without having to worry about something else just now:D

I did my own diy co2 kit and that worked well to help establish my plants but dont really usr it now and the plants are doing ok

I would think that catching and removing the shrimp from the tank in order to put your plants in will stress them far more than a bit of disturbed substrate.

I use a pair of long Tweezers for planting (they came with the tank) It works really well and doesn't disturb the substrate very much at all. :encouragement:

I did my own diy co2 kit and that worked well to help establish my plants but dont really usr it now and the plants are doing ok

Yep, I did the same and hardly use it now.

• HOF Member

Thanks Garnelchen I have small tweezers but they should do the job. Still not sure about the CO2- I did read that excell flourish works well too:encouragement:

I think you should be right planting with tweezers, the shrimp will definitely come out to have a look, they will want to eat all the bacteria you disturb in the substrate while planting :victorious:

• HOF Member

I'm glad I don't have to catch them its the tank with the yellows and I don't want to catch them so soon after settling in.:encouragement:

You just can't help fiddling with your tanks can you *shakes head* :dejection:

• HOF Member

But I didn't think putting in some plants was fiddling as such this is improving - isn't it? Fiddling is when I move everything and clean and change stuff. I'm not moving anything just putting in a few (100) little plants surely that's not fiddling????.?:p

Tomato, tomato! Hahaha, I think if you've got your hands in the tank & the shrimp notice then your fiddling, I think that even putting tweezers in the tank to remove leaf skeletons is fiddling, lol :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Aw well ok I will be fiddling but I think the shrimp will appreciate shade from the light- that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :congratulatory: