Shrimp "pairs"

amkr

Hi,

As a noob, this confuses me a bit.

I often see shrimps sold off as "pairs" at a higher price an 2 individual shrimps.

Is there a benefit to getting them in "pairs"?

Thanks,

Mark

A pair consists of a confirmed Male and Female, and yes its worth it. The price for a pair though will often be substantially

higher than just shrimplets or males, females are often twice if not more the price of a male.

yep.. they are ready to breed.. !

as opposed to having to wait for them to grow..

that way you know that you have both sexes..

sometimes i have bout 5 or 10 of a particular shrimp and ended up with the one sex

maybe that just my luck though.. lol

its up to the individual and what they want..

Also becareful some people sell conferm pairs that they have breed many times and then sell it as pairs when the shrimp is over a year old and towards the end of the shrimps life. So when you buy the pair, it may have a short time to live. Make sure it's a young pair buy looking at the size of the shrimp.

Ahh that makes sense!

Why are the females more expencive?

From what I have see, the males show the worst colouration - I would have expected a good male to be worth more.

Ahh that makes sense!

Why are the females more expencive?

From what I have see' date=' the males show the worst colouration - I would have expected a good male to be worth more.[/quote']

What would you do if you had 10 males and 1 female but if you were to have 1 male and 10 females....get the point? 1 male can be good enough for 10 females so breeders like to hold onto their girls making them more sought after and therefore more expensive.

What would you do if you had 10 males and 1 female but if you were to have 1 male and 10 females....get the point? 1 male can be good enough for 10 females so breeders like to hold onto their girls making them more sought after and therefore more expensive.

if you got stuck with 10 male tigers, worse case scenario is that you gotta make Tiger Bees. =)

if you got stuck with 10 male tigers' date=' worse case scenario is that you gotta make Tiger Bees. =)[/quote']

But you would still need to get your hands on the girls to make them! :crushed:

To make it easy 10 female + 1 male = 150 shrimplets ( assuming each female has 15 eggs per cycle ). Now if you have 10 male + 1 female = 15 shrimplets ( your only female has 15 eggs ) . So which batch would most breeder prefer ?

To make it easy 10 female + 1 male = 150 shrimplets ( assuming each female has 15 eggs per cycle ). Now if you have 10 male + 1 female = 15 shrimplets ( your only female has 15 eggs ) . So which batch would most breeder prefer ?

If it is a single female and she's high quality or has the attributes I'm looking for then I'll take the single female over 10 any way. If you're just a mass breeder and

don't care about the quality or are happy just having a breeding through then 10 may work for you. Having just migrated a number of Sunkist cherries I only took

over 5 out of approximately 25 females as I want the quality not the quantity, and only a couple of my best males. Call it selective culling, now what to do with

the rest?!?

Spread the love BigD, have a comp or something to get some newbies excited :victorious:

Spread the love BigD' date=' have a comp or something to get some newbies excited :victorious:[/quote']

I tend to pass on shrimp in the background to other breeders, first though I need to line up the removal of the large tank,

and then the shrimp can go once a new owner is confirmed.