Water change

kunzy

when you guys pour in water in your tanks after your water change how do you stop the plants and substrate getting moved around by the current :(

first world problems :(, very frustrating!!

• HOF Member

I pour very slowly and don't have a problem . A lot of people drip the water in, just make sure what you put in is not too much colder than what the shrimp are in.

Pour it very slowly. Some use a container that sits on the corner of the tank that has a small tap to dribble new water in

I pump mine uphill so its got no velocity when it comes out (through a horizontal tube).. just sort of falls out the end :D

Dribbling it in... some of us must have a better idea then that:( lol...

Um, its a better idea then blowing all your plants and substrate around by dumping water in.

Um' date=' its a better idea then blowing all your plants and substrate around by dumping water in.[/quote']

+1 but more importantly it will not stress the poop out of the shrimp

• HOF Member

You really need to be much more careful with the higher quality shrimp and doing larger water changes very slowly , they also don't like the substrate disturbed by the turbulence of fast flowing water.:encouragement:

JonX' date=' that looks what i need! thanks for the link also..

i really appericate it :)[/quote']

Kunzy just google 'up aqua buffer bucket' and you will find links where to purchace it. =)

Nice thanks JonX

and thats very true Ineke sometimes i forget about these precious little critters :D

I use an airline to siphon the water back into the tank, nice & slow :victorious:

I pour very slowly and don't have a problem . A lot of people drip the water in, just make sure what you put in is not too much colder than what the shrimp are in.[/quote

you give advice like a pro now :)

To me, I use the air line tube put 1 end in a bow or bottle, the other end have a clip to hold and control the water movement and that's all :victorious:

• HOF Member

I went to my vet and bought an IV giving set, I just put the water I want to use on top of the tank and set the drip rate for however long I want and leave it go by itself for water changes but for water top up I just pour very slowly from a bottle careful not to disturb the substrate but that's usually only for half a litre anything over that is dripped in. Sometimes the shrimp come and sit under the drips:encouragement:

I put a big bottle of RO water in top shelves and use 4 aerator hose to drip the water into each tank in my rack. 1 bottle enough for 4 tanks 10% water change.

+1 for using a buffer barrel. i have the 6L one and its quite stable even when full.

basically, just slightly change the way u do a WC.. its more of a 'set up n forget' until u notice an empty bucket many many hours later ;)

its so much better this way. i recently put together a 2ft scape with around a 5kg cap of the super fine powder. after the initial pour with the bag i filled 3/4 of this tank using this slow drip system and none of the soil was disturbed and minimal cloudiness.

between the different drip systems i use for different things and making the R/O water sooo many hours go by... sitting in front of the tanks while it all happens :)

You don't want to see mw with my water changes, I bring in the hose, on full. Okay the water goes onto my hand to redirect the water back to the surface and I actually get shrimps coming up into the fresh albeit cold water.

This is for my TBs as well. I want tough shrimp that can handle the cold, probably means I loose a few but those that survive can handle a wider variety of conditions without dying at he drop of a hat

KiwiiBigD - i bet your a tough dad ^.^ :)

LOL I'm Ex-Military, you assumed correctly ;-)