Shrmp from Barron River

Baccus

So I have had this shrimp for a while now, she is still going strong but thankfully appears to have quit growing any bigger. She seems to leave the fish and other shrimp alone. Well I always have endler fry in the tank and BN fry so this shrimp and the other fish cant be eating everything in sight. Anywho I finally got a couple of decent close ups of her head/ rostrum, after discovering my new camera has an underwater function also a through glass option. Hopefully with these pictures Bob can spread some light on what shrimp this one might be. P1010441_zpsb3f869f6.jpg P1010443_zpsaf533796.jpg

She's around 10cm maybe a bit bigger, I have never been able to measure her properly.

At that size I'd say it is some type of Macrobrachium. Couldn't tell you which species.

Yeah I think she is a macro, she has really long wavy front feelers (that are really slim with small nippers) that she uses to chase anyone in her way out of the way. She also uses them for finding and eating food. The only fish I have ever seen her munch on was a golden tetra but I don't know if she caught it or just stumbled across one that had recently died from other causes. Bob had wanted a clear shot of her rostrum for ages and I finally managed to get these pretty clear ones, she is not always the most co-operative photo subject.