My yabbie named Yabba dabba

redeye

I've been meaning to put these pics up of a yabbie I caught over a month ago in a stream near Mareeba. I have no idea how yabbies tick and only assume they are like shrimps. He or she has settled into the tank environment very well and comes out whenever food is dropped in.

Any experts out there that can name this species and tell me how big it will grow. At the moment he is roughly 4 1/2 inches long.

IMG_3547_zps2d7fbd0e.jpg

IMG_3548_zps65e20032.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry can't name the little guy, but glad to hear he's settled in well and comes out readily for food. My much smaller guy comes out for food but quickly takes it back under his rock to eat in private. Do you know if yours has been nibbling the plants? And does it seem to have any preference for foods?

• Like 1

If he is anything like the Cherax destructor I've kept in the past, he will destroy any live plants and re-scape the substrate daily. It will be interesting to see if this one behaves. I think Red Claw Yabbies are more common up your way, but I don't know much about them.

does look a bit like a youngish red claw female if so they can grow to around 6inches.

wayne

Aww no I hope its not a red claw. They are caught in the dams by the thousands and everyone eats them, nice with sweet chilli sauce.....um so I hear. To answer a few queries....he/she lives under a rock and doesn't touch the plants in the tank. I feed it algae pellets and a variety of fish food, what comes down gets eaten. Yabba lives with 4 angels 1 betta and 2 gudgeons. I'm not sure how to tell a red claw but doesn't it suppose to display a red patch on the large nippers hence the name red claw.

No, only the males have the big claws and the red pads, The females are smaller and have thinner claws. I bred them commercially for a number of years and that is what she looks like to me. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. They make a fairly nice pet, but like most crays can be a bit destructive. In a tank situation she could turn a very nice blue colour, ENJOY!

Wayne

Ok I'm a bit disappointed about owning a red claw but she seems well behaved so far. It would be nice to see her turn blue.

OH yea its a Red Claw female, sorry about that.

They don't occur naturally in the Barron, but as they were stocked in Tinaroo they are now in the Baron. They are how ever natural in Quad lake because its part of the Mitchell system and could have walked across the road, realy its the road to the Cape that divides the 2 drainage's.

If you want some nice little crays you can try the creeks around Kuranda and the back road at the dam the one that goes from the wall past Fongon bay and to Gillies, they are Depressus there and nice.

Bob

• 2 years later...

Interesting older thread @redeyemy question would have been what does yabba dabba do?

Edited by zn30
  • Like 1