Benibachi mineral powder vs SaltyShrimp

chabbs

I just purchased an RO filter and I'm curious about what product should I use to remineralise the water. I've heard good things about both Benibachi and SaltyShrimp mineral powders, and they're available at my LFS. Other than price, is there another reason why I should choose one over the other?

Benibachi is more of a slow release mineral powder. The saltyshrimp dissolves instantly in the water and raises the EC of the water directly for water changes. I use both, but only the saltyshrimp for water changes.

+1 for the salty shrimp, the benibachi powder is a little extra that you sprinkle in tank once a week.

The two products are different. The salty shrimp re-mineralises the water, and gets the TDS/GH up, whereas the mineral powder does not affect TDS, so add's a different "spectrum".... I use both of these too.

How much & how often do you add the Benibachi powder cause it doesn't say it on the packet? :confused:

I add it once every 2-3 weeks, and usually at half dose. To me I treat is as a supplement. With most of these products I've learnt to use a lot less than recommended, especially if you use a lot of different products.

From the benibachi website:

For a standard 45cm tank, please use 3-5 spoons every 1-2 days.

I would use 1 to 2 spoons for a 100 litre tank every couple of weeks.

Yeah I saw those recommendations & thought it was a lot, thanks D :victorious:

Thanks guys! I'll stick to the SaltyShrimp then :) I've also got a slab of Benibachi Zero Alpha in the tank, so I'll probably won't get any Benibachi powder.

• 1 year later...

This is great, I love the feedback. Seems to be good to have both to have more flexibility on controlling water params. Excellent :)