Dividing 3ft tank

Twellsy

Hi All ,

Couple of questions for all you shrimp/tank experts

I have grown bored of my 3ft neon tank and want to change into three way divided shrimp tank or even just splitting it in half

The tank is 90x45x45 , so either 3x30x45x45 or 2x45x45x45

1. How do I go about dividing the tank , I want it to look like it was made that way

I had thought of having two glass rods 10mm apart then slide a piece of Perspex in between the rods

Drill a few large holes and fill them with some sponge cut slightly bigger than the holes ?

I have been told its very expensive to have glass drilled ? So to use Perspex

Is there a better way ?

2. If point 1 will work will 1 canister filter with the inlet and outlet at opposite ends work or do I need to

get more filters ( hope 1 canister will work )

3. If someone has done anything similar can you share some pictures with me ?

4. Am I better off selling this tank and stand and just getting some small cubes instead ( 40cm cubes )

5. Does anyone know a good tank place in Sydney that can do the glass work for me

Hope it makes sense what I trying to say

Cheers Twellsy

Look at my journal mate. I have glass rods so that dividers can be removed.

My acrylic has cut outs to fit a4 size stainless steel mesh #40.

Might aswell get it divided into 3 so you can have more play with shrimp variations.

Last time I had a standard 3 ft I divided using a sheet of those black sponge. Very simple but the sponge was about 6 cm thick. Didn't look that professional but worked well. Then my other tank I cut a sheet of glass to fit the divided section but I made it about 5 cm below the water surface. Then I cut a strip of those black sponge sheet and place it on top of the glass dividers so water can pass through but baby shrimplets couldn't. People also use those stainless steal mesh dividers instead of glass. This was a simple DIY that I use to get some experience with shrimps. Good luck , it's well worth the effort when you divide the tank.

Awesome link Jon' date=' very informative, great work! :victorious:[/quote']

You can buy the sheets from a New Zealand stoctists. I was going to go this way but with a 2ft divided tank it would have taken too much space

I've done it in an 18" tank & it's a pretty good size for selective breeding :victorious:

image-74_zps86faa0a8.jpg

Thanks for all reply's , the link looked pretty good and I guess not permanent I was just looking at my tank , I think I will have a problem with dividing it up as it has bracing across the centre.

Pretty much wouldn't have access to the centre tank , not sure if I have glass siliconed in as dividers I will be able to remove the top bracing

The more I look at it I might be better off just selling the whole setup and just start getting small cubes or just have a 3ft tank made from scratch all divided up

I knew joining this forum was going to cost me more money

Cheers Twellsy

Lol, MTS can be expensive :encouragement: If you remove the top brace & silicone in glass dividers you can have three separate tanks with different WP, also the dividers will act as supports for the front & back panels so you won't need the top brace :victorious:

• HOF Member

I have just divided a 30" tank into 2 because of the glass bracing instead of into 3 and I have good access to both sides. I have a canister filter with the intake on one side and the spray bar outlet on the other . I have a medium coarse sponge top to bottom to separate so no shrimp can climb over. The temp difference from heater side to non heater side is.01 difference. The only problem will be when the sponge eventually gets clogged I'm not sure how to change it -may have to catch the shrimp out of one side.The sponge came from a local LFS and cost $16.50

I had hoped that by adding two dividers I could have the top brace removed , I think if I keep the tank I need to split it 3 ways ( it will give me more options down the track )

MTS is bad and expensive I am already working on a 45cm cube display for the hall way

Just need to find a shop that can do the work for me , my LFS said he couldn't do the holes in the glass

Cheers Twellsy

• HOF Member

MTS hits us all and never goes away you always need just one more tank!!!!!:(

Can anyone point me in the right direction ? Need a shop in Sydney that can divide my tank into 3 equal parts and also can drill some large holes in the dividers ( will also need to remove the top bracing and make new lids ) my LFS can add the dividers but can't drill holes for me

Would also be very interested if someone can provide the two dividers cut to size with the holes drilled in alralready

Cheers Twellsy

Holes are very easy check out Deans thread in the shrimp tank setup section. diamond tip hole saws are very cheap on eb@y or even at bunnings

Nice foam divider Squiggle :D

Is it Poret foam? Or did you get it elsewhere?

Yeah it's just a piece of filter foam from a local online aquarium, I really want to get some poret but I'm just a little lazy, lol :victorious:

Yeah it's just a piece of filter foam from a local online aquarium' date=' I really want to get some poret but I'm just a little lazy, lol :victorious:[/quote']

If you guys are interested in the Poret should start a group buy thread as the first pound is what costs most when you get it from swisstropicals, original Poret foam. As said members can share shipping costs.

Sounds like a plan' date=' I though you can get this stuff from NZ?[/quote']

I really don't know about New Zealand but swisstropicals are the original retailers/manufacturers...I have enquired before, and they advised to get a group buy together as it will work out cheaper on the shipping for all. Here is the link if it is allowed (if not please remove admin) http://www.swisstropicals.com/Index.html they also have the repashy foods (shrimp gel).

I really don't know about New Zealand but swisstropicals are the original retailers/manufacturers...I have enquired before' date=' and they advised to get a group buy together as it will work out cheaper on the shipping for all. Here is the link if it is allowed (if not please remove admin) [url']http://www.swisstropicals.com/Index.html they also have the repashy foods (shrimp gel).

The New Zealand guy has it. I was emailing him postage wasn't that much. Hit him up.

The New Zealand guy has it. I was emailing him postage wasn't that much. Hit him up.

What New Zealand guy? I would rather much get it from the original manufacturers to be on the safe side.

Not much to choose from there Johnny looks like 45ppm is not available either...for CRS/ Cherry shrimplets 30ppm may be OK (not sure) but for the smaller species like some natives I heard 30ppm is not enough? Also the shipping may be cheaper but the actual product costs more! eg. the 5cm 30ppm swiss= AU$116, NZ= AU$130 so might even work out cheaper to buy from swiss the originals. May send them an enquiry.