How are your Rillis going

ineke

• HOF Member

A while ago we were all excited about our Rillis and the different colours so how are your Rillis coming along.

Mine are throwing lots of Blue Velvet babies in fact more blues than anything else. i have lots of saddled and berried mamas coming along and babies from a couple of days old to a couple of months. I haven't done any sorting out as they are all too young but the colony is slowly increasing.

Not much use putting up any pictures at the moment because my camera doesn't do very good macros and you can't really see the babies.:encouragement:

Nice! You'll need a new tank for all those blue velvets!

• HOF Member

I've also got the blue chocolates happening but they might change colour as they get older.

I've noticed a few of the rillis have yellow saddles and the others have blue so wonder if that denotes they will have blue babies.

I will have a spare tank soon but it's way too early to start picking any good ones out.

how are yours going any good spidermen?

All of my blues have yellow saddles....

I just had my girls drop just as i left for work so i havent seen the shrimplets yet. My boyfriend tells me he's seen a couple, so thats exciting :)

Out of the ones i transferred to the rack, 1 was pretty much red rilli, one had a tiny bit of red on its tail and the rest of them were solid blue :)

• HOF Member

sounds promising:) While it is hard for you to leave them it must be exciting coming home and seeing what you have had born while you were away:encouragement:

Yep and I dont have so much of the watching every day and waiting for shrimplets... Sometimes I see the girls get berried while im home, go to work and then get shrimplets on my next break :)

• HOF Member

Probably better than sitting peering at them everyday like I do. I'm convinced a few actually come to the glass to see if I've got anything for them when I put the lights on in the morning. At least one big CRS comes over everyday.

Haha that's cute :)

Well "a watched pot never boils"... probably why your yellows havent got preggers ;)

• HOF Member

Probably -one of the new ones is saddled this morning not that it means much the other 2 females I've had for a long time and they have both been saddled for months!!!! I think they are used to me now they don't run away in terror anymore:)

To be fair though, given the ammount of berried girls i have had, when I moved them in to the rack, there was only 4 or so yellow babies. Dont know what happened there...

I can see my blues easier in my new rack too, which is nice :)

• HOF Member

I had that trouble for a while with the Reds heaps of berried girls but not a lot of babies then suddenly they managed to survive. My Minchling girl looked like she had a lot of eggs but I can only see 2 babies in the tank. Maybe they get lost into filters?

Racks seem to be the way to go.

I have just taken a bit of rocks and other hiding places out of a couple of tanks and while I felt mean it seems the shrimp don't mind they are all out grazing now so I can see them much better.

Well i wondered if some of the nasties in that tank got them (I had a damselfly nymph and a couple of hydra... ugh) but that doesnt explain why i have 30+ CBS babies and ive had them half the time!

Mystery!

My rack is awesome. Only problem is I have cherries and crystals in there and so the conditions are aimed at crystals and I have to use the bee shrimp minerals. So really you need 2 racks LOL

• HOF Member

I have resorted to having cherries and crystals together too. The cherries don't seem to mind, the only tank with crystals in cherry WP are my CBS who are in with the chocolates but they seem ok -no breeding but thats ok. The Rillis and the Tibees are together in Cherry WP as well but the Tibees don't seem to like low PH anyway and as they have bred it must be OK.

When I eventually get my bench done I will have 2 different sumps so then I can separate them. But by then I hope to have decided what direction I am going in and will have less varieties (I think):encouragement:

Well they'll have to live with it, cos they havent got anywhere else to go now! lol

The blues seem paler in the lower pH but I could be just imagining it?

My yellow cherries and sunkists are in CRS conditions and thriving.

Having said that my blue velvets also were in CRS conditions and weren't doing well, so I moved them to a tank with inert substrate and now they are happy and breeding again.

• HOF Member
My yellow cherries and sunkists are in CRS conditions and thriving.

Having said that my blue velvets also were in CRS conditions and weren't doing well' date=' so I moved them to a tank with inert substrate and now they are happy and breeding again.[/quote']

My yellows seem much happier and more yellow in the CRS conditions than when they were in the Cherry WP's. Even the new ones that came yesterday appear happy and 1 females saddled overnight. I've read a lot on facebook that people have problems with their yellows it seems they just don't do well in the higher ph.

I had the sunkiss and blue velvet in the same divided tank and my sunkiss breed like crazy but my blue velvet had a very low survival rate. I do find blue velvet are much harder to breed then other cherries.

Well I hope mine do ok... otherwise i'll have to replace them with blue bolts! lol

• HOF Member
I had the sunkiss and blue velvet in the same divided tank and my sunkiss breed like crazy but my blue velvet had a very low survival rate. I do find blue velvet are much harder to breed then other cherries.

mine are all so little I will have a looong wait, sooo looong:congratulatory:

Well I hope mine do ok... otherwise i'll have to replace them with blue bolts! lol

did someone say bluebolts ...LOL. I was hoping to see pics of Rillis on this thread ?

Ive personally found the blue velvets and carbon rillis slower then the other cherries...BUT they're in with TB/Tiger water parameters, so my bad !

I've got a preggie Carbon!

Used some special ninjutsu on your shrimp again didn't ya? Congratulations ninja! 1st dips!

Awesome work ninja, bet you must be excited, carbons are way cool, well done! :victorious:

Yay! good work Ninja!!!!
did someone say bluebolts ...LOL
Mmmm blue shrimp.... :P

• HOF Member

woohoo Ninja congratulations:encouragement: