Mineral balls or not?

Sprae

Now that I'm already topping up with SaltyShrimp Bee Mineral GH+, I'm thinking of removing some or all of my mineral balls. There should be plenty of minerals being added on top ups or should I just leave them there?

Adding more minerals will also increase your TDS of the tank. At the end of the day the shrimp can only consume/use so much minerals and after that the rest is pretty much just excess.

I'd personally wonder if increasing the TDS and paying for mineral balls is really worth it if you already have a sufficient amount of minerals in the tank?

Someone else with more experience may have a different opinion, And I'd follow what they say over me as I am still new to the hobby. Just wanted to throw my 2c in :P

i would say yes. they are not just for mineral content, they are also for helping keep water clean :)

i have them in every tank i run.

as for increasing TDS, your tanks TDS will increase without them everyday regardless, as organic matter is dissolved etc.

• Like 2

I use mineral balls in 2 of my tanks and nothing in four.

The TDS in the two that have mineral balls are very high and need water changes.

The 4 that do not have them keep a steady TDS.

Shrimp are moulting perfectly fine in all of them but they do have a thicker shell in the two that have the balls.