Looking for a strong air pump

shrimpstan

Hi guys,

as the thread title suggests im looking for a fairly strong air pump for my soon to be shrimp wall :)

im just looking some advice or recommendations as to which ones to go for and ones which are still reasonably quite as its in a living room.

i have around 500 liters of tank water now but could possibly increase that to around 650 if/when i upgrade to a full on rack system. i have many breeder boxes and sponges and soon to be k1 bottle or 2 in each tank (5) so there is a lot of airlines required.

question is.. how many lph should i be looking at given the brief info above?

any advice or recommendation is most appreciated :)

cheers

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrimpstan

• Squiggle

• fishmosy

• CNgo2006

I would buy the most litres per min air pump you can afford...As there will always be another breeder box, airstone, MBF, etc....I would go for something like the aqua one o2 12000 air pump at 110l/min. I thought I has purchased the right one for my needs but I was sadly mistaken, as another breeder box, sponge filter, etc is added the air flow is lessened on the other things already setup in tank to a point where it is just a few bubbles now! So take my advice and get the most l/min air pump you can!

Can't go past the Resun LP's, I have an LP40 running twenty airlines, it will do 50L/min & an LP60 will do thirty to forty, it does 70L/min & they are extremely reliable :victorious: I also have an LP100 which does 150L/min but Ive only turned it on once & it almost blew me out of the garage, lol, way too much air for what I needed :encouragement:

I have a Kamair 40L/min. Its been super reliable even after four years non stop running. I've run up to 15 tanks at once off it, with multiple filters/airstones in at least 5 of those tanks, so probably 20-25 filters/stones, with no hassles.

I would buy the most litres per min air pump you can afford...As there will always be another breeder box' date=' airstone, MBF, etc....I would go for something like the aqua one o2 12000 air pump at 110l/min. I thought I has purchased the right one for my needs but I was sadly mistaken, as another breeder box, sponge filter, etc is added the air flow is lessened on the other things already setup in tank to a point where it is just a few bubbles now! So take my advice and get the most l/min air pump you can![/quote']

Hi mate, thanks for sharing ur advice :)

i kind of want to go as big as i can without the noise gettin too bad. the idea is it will be replacing about 4 smaller/medium air pumps im using at the moment.. honestly i think anything would make less noise than the current set up :p

do u mind telling me the flow of the pump u went for and the water volume u have? just to use as some kind of guide when making my decision. appreciate it mate :)

Can't go past the Resun LP's' date=' I have an LP40 running twenty airlines, it will do 50L/min & an LP60 will do thirty to forty, it does 70L/min & they are extremely reliable :victorious: I also have an LP100 which does 150L/min but Ive only turned it on once & it almost blew me out of the garage, lol, way too much air for what I needed :encouragement:[/quote']

Hi mate thanks for your reply :)

are they overly loud? are they suitable for use in a living area?

funny image of Mr. Squiggle being blown out of the garage by a massive air pump ;)

will def check them out!!

cheers bud! :)

I have a Kamair 40L/min. Its been super reliable even after four years non stop running. I've run up to 15 tanks at once off it' date=' with multiple filters/airstones in at least 5 of those tanks, so probably 20-25 filters/stones, with no hassles.[/quote']

Hi mate, thanks for ur recommendation! much apprecaited!

tbh i havnt heard of this one.. where do i find them? do u know if they make slightly stronger modles?

cheers mate :)

Hi mate' date=' thanks for sharing ur advice :)

i kind of want to go as big as i can without the noise gettin too bad. the idea is it will be replacing about 4 smaller/medium air pumps im using at the moment.. honestly i think anything would make less noise than the current set up :p

do u mind telling me the flow of the pump u went for and the water volume u have? just to use as some kind of guide when making my decision. appreciate it mate :)[/quote']

I have a resun 65l/min atm running around 10 tanks with breedbox, sponges, bubble stoppers, etc. Finding it's not enough (airflow to my liking) so will need to get something bigger.

Hi mate thanks for your reply :)

are they overly loud? are they suitable for use in a living area?

funny image of Mr. Squiggle being blown out of the garage by a massive air pump ;)

will def check them out!!

cheers bud! :)

They do make a bit of noise but they are very quiet compared to others that move the same amount of air, if that makes sense, I have mine in a rumpus room & it's not too bad :victorious:

I have a big hailea one. Can't tell you the model till I get home. I don't have much basis for comparison but its not TOO bad for noise, but still is like quieter!

If you can locate a piston based one you'll be right, but large and diaphragm do not make quiet. That's why we have just sold ours and are getting rid of the last few now, the noise made it an unpleasant experience to sit and enjoy our shrimp

If you can locate a piston based one you'll be right' date=' but large and diaphragm do not make quiet. That's why we have just sold ours and are getting rid of the last few now, the noise made it an unpleasant experience to sit and enjoy our shrimp[/quote']

Do you happen to know a model/brand of any piston ones?

Trying to make my aquarium things quieter is the story of my life LOL

Just found some by googling "piston airpump" ... might have to get one as theyre not too pricey :)

They're not cheap but well worth it. Back in NZ I helped a friend with his Petshop setup around 80 tanks using a couple of these,

they were large but very quiet, wouldn't even know it was running and we can between 2 and 4 air filters in each tank.

I have the similar questions. Looking for a durable air pump!. My Resun air pump already weak after 2-3 months 24 hours). Some told me to buy eheim. Still searching for info

I purchased an airtech 70 after aLOT of research and it is great. Could easily run 30+ tanks. Apparently these pumps are legendary in the koi keeper hobby. There are may people that have been runing these pumps for more then 20 years wothout any faults. Its not real noisy but I run mine outside with a 6mm airline coming in through the wall so all I hear is the soothing bubbles of air filters :-)

I have a resun aco-003 piston pump and I can tell you it is bloody loud! I guess their are loud and quiet ones for all types just depends on quality and make, so before purchasing ask to get it plugged in so you can hear for yourself, just don't take the sellers word.

I don't remember the brand I had but would suggest if you can listen to it first as well. I've tried the small resun and like Chi found them extremely

loud. Really wish I kept a couple of piston wheel based pumps dammit.

has anyone tried one of those 'commercial air pumps' off *b**?

their cheap for the airflow!!

I have a resun 65l/min atm running around 10 tanks with breedbox' date=' sponges, bubble stoppers, etc. Finding it's not enough (airflow to my liking) so will need to get something bigger.[/quote']

yeah i understand why ur struggling as i was looking at something around that strength but have half the tanks u do!

maybe u need 2 :)

I purchased an airtech 70 after aLOT of research and it is great. Could easily run 30+ tanks. Apparently these pumps are legendary in the koi keeper hobby. There are may people that have been runing these pumps for more then 20 years wothout any faults. Its not real noisy but I run mine outside with a 6mm airline coming in through the wall so all I hear is the soothing bubbles of air filters :-)

do u know what the flow is n where i can look for these guys?

running the pump outside... genius!! :p

has anyone tried one of those 'commercial air pumps' off *b**?

their cheap for the airflow!!

Do you mean the Blowers? They are live having a jet engine in you shrimp room, definitely one for a different room to the shrimp room, soooo loud :victorious:

Do you mean the Blowers? They are live having a jet engine in you shrimp room' date=' definitely one for a different room to the shrimp room, soooo loud :victorious:[/quote']

they are basically advertised as commercial air pumps and they have the full metal body with no casing. mostly for ponds n stuff maybe?

they look loud! :p

Hi mate' date=' thanks for ur recommendation! much apprecaited!

tbh i havnt heard of this one.. where do i find them? do u know if they make slightly stronger modles?

cheers mate :)[/quote']

I bought mine through LFS, but I now know that they are wholesaled by an aquaculture distributor as we also buy the bigger models through work directly from the wholesaler. Unfortunately as a hobbyist you cant buy directly from the wholesaler but I can give you the info you need so that your LFS can order one in for you. There are a few models on the wholesalers website for sale up to 190LPM.

Just had a quick look & the ones that came up were piston air pumps, blowers kind of look a bit like half a turbo & both of them are loud :encouragement: