Black king kong crash course please!

BiGGiE

No no, no offence! I think the title ("crash course") implies you're going to get one as your first shrimp :)

you did the right thing asking here, everybody is willing to help and share advice

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BiGGiE

• Squiggle

• CNgo2006

• JonX

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to sound too discouraging, but if there was anything I have learnt from this hobby is that patience is the key! I only asked the question because it seemed like you didn't have much experience in fish keeping, and it's sort of like trying to run before you learn how to walk. It is a very very expensive hobby (especially going straight into KKs) but very very rewarding at the same time and you'll be extremely lucky if you get it to work the first time. I've been keeping CRS for two years and am still getting deaths despite appearing to have all the gear and parameters right, and I keep resisting to venture into KKs. Your post reminded me of how I started out and spent a tonne on impulse only for me to lose every single one of them, money is one thing, but at the same time, I took away those lives because I wasn't prepared. But good on you for asking, and I can only wish the best for you! :)

I learnt the hard way in the fish realm, many $$$$ down the drain by being too keen on imported gupps and discus. Many thanks for starting this thread, a very interesting read. And great to have a recipe for my next tank setup. Further question, I use rainwater for my water changes, would this be suitable in place of RO???

I wouldn't replace RO with rainwater just to be sure, rainwater still has some minerals in it :victorious:

I wouldn't replace RO with rainwater just to be sure' date=' rainwater still has some minerals in it :victorious:[/quote']

especially if the cloud the rain comes from passed over an industrial area or pollution, you could even be adding polluted rain water!

The town I live in is 50kms from any industrial area, nice fresh country air. The roof is over 50 years old, so hopefully nothing leaching off that. Am only starting with Cherries for now, so will look into RO before taking on other species. Cheers.

The town I live in is 50kms from any industrial area' date=' nice fresh country air. The roof is over 50 years old, so hopefully nothing leaching off that. Am only starting with Cherries for now, so will look into RO before taking on other species. Cheers.[/quote']

At the very least get yourself a cheap TDS pen...check the TDS of the rain water. Good decision to go with the cherries first, this is how most of us started this addiction.

Have been looking into TDS pens after reading another thread. Will get onto it. Cheers.

Im glad this is helping others aswell as myself!!

Now in regards to adding minerals to ro is saltyshrimp mineral the only option? Are there other brands or is saltyshrimp the best?

There are others but Saltyshrimp is the most comprehensive, all rounds mineral additive & a lot of members would agree, myself included, they wouldn't be where they are today without Saltyshrimp, especially with Taiwan Bees. Saltyshrimp has revolutionized shrimp keeping :encouragement:

There are others but Saltyshrimp is the most comprehensive' date=' all rounds mineral additive & a lot of members would agree, myself included, they wouldn't be where they are today without Saltyshrimp, especially with Taiwan Bees. Saltyshrimp has revolutionized shrimp keeping :encouragement:[/quote']

+1 stick with what we know works!

Just another question so water changes are to be done with ro + salty shrimp

and top ups are done with ro only?

how often do u guys feed? Daily? Every 2nd day?

Thanks

Yeah RO + Saltyshrimp for water changes & RO only for top ups, cause evaporation doesn't remove salt, just water :encouragement:

I use Biozyme every day & other foods every other day, I alternate other food & also use IAL & mulberry leaves once a week or so :encouragement:

No probs mate!

now to set up a tank with the right parameters

thanks everyone for their help and info much appreciated

I really recommend you start with crystal shrimp first, they have very similar water parameters, keep them alive & breeding for a six months or more before you spent big money on KK's, if you do it this way you won't have to change the tank at all when you change over :victorious:

BiGGiE I seriously hope you aren't thinking of doing what I think you are going to do. I know they are gorgeous but baby steps mate, they will still be there once you have enough experience.

No probz guys ill take ur advice and get onto some higher grade cbs to start with!!

hopefully some come up for sale at a good price

either way ill set up the tank properly first even if its just crystals

so then when i feel i can keep kk i wont have to change much

thanks for all the concern and help everyone =]