Black Cherry Shrimp Moulting

Cookster

Hi guys, I wanted to share with you all the fascinating event I caught on camera this morning.

Just sat down to peruse my new shrimp whilst sipping a cup of coffee and noticed one of the Black Cherries had a whitish band

at the start of the carapace... so I got the video going just in case and was fortunate with the timing...

About a minute later ... POP :triumphant:... out he came, clean moult, absolutely stoked I was able to catch this on video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27i3vOchE8Y

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Wow well caught Ian totally awesome- if you didn't know they moult like that it could scare the pants off you. Haven't been lucky enough to see it happen myself:encouragement:

Thanks for sharing! Nice timing to catch that in action...This would have been an interesting addition to the recent Video Competition!

Well done mate, AWSOME footage, your black cherries are very black. What's the Ph and Kh in that tank please?

Ever since I put mine in a low Ph tank they have gone brown!

• HOF Member

I must say mine are in a low ph and not as dark either but Dean breeds them in low PH

Awesome vid dude, very well timed! :encouragement: I have been lucky enough to see this & it's the most amazing thing to watch, even though it's only a few seconds :applause:

Well done mate' date=' AWSOME footage, your black cherries are very black. What's the Ph and Kh in that tank please?

Ever since I put mine in a low Ph tank they have gone brown![/quote']

Hi Ninja, They have only been in this tank a week now. Using Fluval Stratum which is buffering to 6.8ph and the Kh is 2.

Thanks for sharing! Nice timing to catch that in action...This would have been an interesting addition to the recent Video Competition!

Yeah CNgo... as they say timing is everything... a couple weeks ago and would have been a contender for the comp ... haha....

I am just happy that I got to see it, let alone catch it on vid. :)

Wow well caught Ian totally awesome- if you didn't know they moult like that it could scare the pants off you. Haven't been lucky enough to see it happen myself:encouragement:

All in good time Ineke .... even at 30% speed of original, the point where they flick out of the shell is too quick to slow down... haha

Thanks Cookster' date=' that last flick at the end, can it be slowed any more?[/quote']

I will try it and see Ninja... if I can get it to a visible motion at super slow mo, I'll post it as a mini addition to the main vid ;)

Just tried slowing it down to 2% of original speed and there is no clear shot of the actual separation from the shell..

It would need to be captured in at least a 100 frames per second video to even have a hope of seeing this :(

The original is shot at 30 frames per second and the separation happens over 2 frames ... as a blur .. lol.. So basically 2/30ths of a second :sour:

Whoooaaaaa, that was awesome! I've never actually seen it before so thatnks for sharing! :)

Thanks for sharing... I haven't seen them do that before so made for great watching

Brilliant vid mate, can't believe your timing. Awesome.

Great Video! Thanks for sharing with us! Your black cherries look awesome!

• 1 month later...

sound makes the video so creepy! great video enjoyed watching it

Thanks for that fascinating video on the moulting Cookster....Always wonder how long it would take a shrimp to moult...