Darwin Red Nosed

Baccus

I love these little guys & the helicopter swimming is great to watch. i have mine in with Red Cherries, Darwin Algae eaters, CRS & Riffle shrimp & everyone gets on fine.

I have recently seen some very tiny ones so mine are breeding. Here's a pic of one of my berried girls & another just hanging in the moss.

post-80-139909865089_thumb.jpgpost-80-139909865092_thumb.jpg

post-3146-139909854602_thumb.jpg

post-3146-139909854606_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

One of my red noses blending in to the log

P1030578_zps2c0201d5.jpg

PS Not sure what shrimp is the other one in the shot, it could be a young red nose, a DAS that jumped out of a neighbouring tank.

And out in the open

P1030591_zps0dc8a2c1.jpg

• Like 1

One of my red noses blending in to the log

P1030578_zps2c0201d5.jpg

PS Not sure what shrimp is the other one in the shot' date= it could be a young red nose, a DAS that jumped out of a neighbouring tank.

DRNs are so underrated. They are such nice looking shrimp with unique patterns and look. Quite nice for a "wild" shrimp.

Talk about well camouflaged, especially the one on the right.

Your photos have captured it very nicely in a very natural looking environment. Well done.

I always have a soft spot for tank scapes that try to mimick the natural environment of the tank's inhabitants.

I have an Amazonian biotope with Apistos, tetras and discus that looks similar, with leaf litter, dark stained water, driftwood and dark substrate.

The tank housing these guys is what most fish keepers would call the muckiest tank possible. Its dominated by a huge hollow log which takes up the length of the tank, it has some non-native plants mainly parrots feather and some java moss, almost everything else plant wise the snails eat to death. The substrate is mostly fine black sand and over that a rather gross amount of mulm. But the shrimp adore the mulm and I suspect that is why I am seeing so many native shrimplets surviving in this tank even with the hydra that I keep waging war on. The shrimp also have their various leaves off trees to munch on, and they spend a lot of time grazing on the log.

Thanks for the encouragement, I too like a natural looking tank, even if it means hell for me on actually spotting the shrimp let alone getting decent pics of them.