This is my first forum ever!

guntash

Hi everyone,

I'm from Melbourne and this is the first forum I have ever been onto. I hope to learn as much as I can from all you shrimp experts out there! My daughter is 9 years old and she saved her pocket money to buy her first group of red cherry shrimp last year. It wasn't long before her little colony started breeding successfully! She decided to sell them for a dollar each to make some extra pocket money. We know she wont make much, but she's learning some great business skills in the process and we have loved having a little hobby which we can enjoy together. We have set up a new soft water tank which we hope to stock with crystal red shrimp. I was just wondering if anybody knew any good breeders in Melbourne who we could purchase from and how much we can expect to pay for the different grades. Thanks for your help.

What a way to start as this is the best forum for shrimp you will ever visit! Welcome to SKF! This is the right place for all your shrimp questions and needs. I highly recommend you go premium subscription which is a $12.50 subscription but I can promise you will not regret it as you gain so much more! It will open up the whole forum to you this includes the classifieds section where you can buy and sell shrimp to your hearts content! The shrimp for sale here are top quality at bargain prices so you would have made the money back plus more! There are experts here to answer any questions you may have. So don't hesitate go premium as a lot of our members have done and have never looked back!

As for a top breeder in Melbourne I would highly recommend Bossaquaria (Dean) who also happens to be the Administrator of this great Forum!

Welcome to SKF guntash. As you increase your post count, the forum will open up, and you will be amazed with the number of info. and discussion. You will then gain access to the WTB (Wanted to Buy) section, where you can seek local hobbyist/sellers etc.... alternative, for $12.50, you can become a premium member, and get access to the entire forum, incl. the weekly auctions...

• HOF Member

Welcome to SKF what a wonderful way to teach your daughter responsibility and business skills. Excellent hobby to enjoy together well done. As CNgo said join as a member and people will help you get started. Crystals are a little more complex to keep but once your water parameters are right they are great. The higher the grade the more perfect the water needs to be. If you don't want to pay premium just keep posting and asking questions and the forum will slowly open up for you. We love to see photos of tanks and shrimp hope you enjoy our forum:encouragement:

Thanks for your reply and advice. I will definitely look into the premium subscription. It was Dean who recommended I go onto Shrimp Keepers Forum. I have been in touch with him and he has been very helpful.

Hi and welcome to SKF great to see the young ones joining our hobby. there are a lot of great shrimp breeders down your way. I am sure you will be able to find the shrimp and support that you want ENJOY!

I hope my water parameters are suitable for CRS. I did some research and decided to use the new ADA aquasoil Amazonia substrate, as it is a planted soft water tank. My ammonia is 0, nitrate 5, PH is 6.2 GH is around 3 and KH is about 1. It has finished cycling and is about 6 weeks old. Has anyone else had success with having both small fish and CRS in a tank together. We currently have 5 hengel's rasbora and 5 cardinal tetra. The tank is 50 litres. Will the fish eat the adult CRS we are hoping to get?

Welcome to the forum guntash, for the first forum ever you certainly come to the Ferrari of forums, hahaha :victorious: Not only is this a great forum but a great community too. Everyone here is more than happy to answer any questions you have & no question is too stupid to ask. Dean is not only a top breeder in Melbourne but in Australia too, definitely the guy to talk to for quality shrimp. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as we do :encouragement:

funny_gifs_fluke_shot-s320x256-264327_zps70b96c10.gif

Fish and shrimp don't mix! As most fish will snack on the tiny shrimplets given the chance, I found that the only fish that I haven't seen snacking on shrimplets are the suckers like borneo sucker fish. ADA is a good substrate but a lot of members here would go with Benibachi Substrate especially if you plan on getting higher grades...

You should be right with adult shrimp, it's the babies you'll need tow worry about, most fish will eat the shrimplets. Your water parameters look pretty good but you might want to get a cheap TDS pen, it measures Total Desolved Solids & that is an important parameter for higher quality shrimp :victorious:

No no no, you must leave!! Being on this forum as your first will RUIN you! No forum will ever be the same.

haha just kidding. Well only about the leaving part...

Welcome and enjoy :)

Welcome!! you have come to the right place and shrimp keeping? there is no known cure for it sorry.

Bob

Every one has pretty much answerd your question so I guess I can only welcome you to the SKF team. Please feel free to post up any questions or share your experience. Hope to see you on the forum. Have fun :)

Thanks for making me feel so welcome everyone. You all seem so jolly :) I'm learning so much already! I may look into setting up a shrimp only tank then. Will take a look at the TDS pen. Where is a good place to purchase one?

Fleabay is the best play, can't mention it's real name as it gets edited, here I'll show you what I mean, you get them on ****, hahaha see. :encouragement: Should be able to get a cheap one to start you off for about $10-$15 :victorious:

Or if you don't want to wait, forum sponsor aquakitz sells them for a bit more and ships next day :)

the fleabay ones can take over 3 weeks :/

Thanks Squiggle. I'm sure there is much discussion about this topic, but what is the best brand of shrimp food to purchase? I use Hikari. Hope that's ok?

A lot of people use Hikari & say good things about it, the best way to do it is to vary their diet, Dean has a few different food on his site & then there's natural foods like Indian Almond Leaves, Mulberry Leaves, Spirulina Powder, Barley Grass Powder, Bee Pollen etc. These are all very good foods & a variation between all of them is generally agreed as the best way to do it :victorious:

Once the forum opens up for you, you will see several threads with reviews on both packaged and natural shrimp foods to give you some ideas. I use Hikari amongst many others. Shrimp love fresh fruit and veggies too! E.g banana and blanched broccoli, cucumber, spinach etc. Just make sure it's organic and well washed with water.

There's a tree up the road from my house & I just pick a few every few months, they are a very distinctive tree, once you find one you'll see them everywhere :victorious:

Welcome to SKF gunstan ... You happen to be in luck to have the biggest shrimp dealer in Australia in your own neighborhood....Bossaquaria .I am sure Dean will put in the right direction for shrimp enthusiasts :-) All the best & have fun with a very rewarding hobby..

I hope my water parameters are suitable for CRS. I did some research and decided to use the new ADA aquasoil Amazonia substrate' date=' as it is a planted soft water tank. My ammonia is 0, nitrate 5, PH is 6.2 GH is around 3 and KH is about 1. It has finished cycling and is about 6 weeks old. Has anyone else had success with having both small fish and CRS in a tank together. We currently have 5 hengel's rasbora and 5 cardinal tetra. The tank is 50 litres. Will the fish eat the adult CRS we are hoping to get?[/quote']

the only 100% safe fish for shrimps is ottocinclus affinis, i have also find threadfin rainbows equally safe.