Amkr's humble planted tank

amkr

So I've got the all clear to get another tank :encouragement:

Unfortunately its only going to be a 30cm cube.

The aim is to breed some more exotic shrimp in the cube and put the culls into the 2ft tank which will become a bit more communal.

Just have to pickup the tank tomorrow and decide what shrimp I want to breed... and save some $$ to get them!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amkr

• ineke

• Squiggle

• Garnelchen

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome stuff dude, there's nothing like going to buy a new tank :encouragement:

Cheers man!

I really like the mr aqua cubes.. Awesomely cheap but not sure where I can pick one up from on a Sunday.

plan is to plant it out in a jungle theme, using benibachi powder with a white sand contrast.

thinking maybe sunkist or blue shrimps..

• HOF Member

I love those cubes but haven't found a shop in Adelaide that sells them yet. I've been to several that were recommended but they didn't know what I was talking about. Can't wait to see it set up:encouragement:

The price is hard to beat. They look pretty good.

If it was 3x the price I'd have a small whinge about the silicone, it could be a tiny bit neater but in all honesty thats me LOOKING for something wrong with it.

for the price, its awesome!

Got a wicked bit of driftwood to go with it too.

Trying to track down some shrimp safe rock for a cliff area aswell - havent had much luck so I dont think its getting filled this weekend :(

This is how its looking currently.

dxza.jpg

vmrf.jpg

The left hand side of the driftwood will hopefully have a small cliff face dropping down to white sand.

Planning on planting it with needle leaf java fern and mosses :)

Looks awesome dude, gotta love the little cubes, such a precious baby in the back seat, lol :victorious: Can't wait to see it finished :encouragement:

Stunning pics dude, they look awesome, well done & thanks for sharing :victorious:

Awesome pictures! The colour contrast in the first pic just blows me away. I want that one as a poster! :applause:

haha thanks,

The shrimps are nothing special, just a cherry mix with a couple of rili's.

Found one of my Crystals has kicked the bucket, discovered his headless body sitting in the back corner of the tank - a few hours later apparently all the endlers found it too. Seems they aren't interested in it when it moves, as soon as its headless it becomes lunch.

Still sourcing materials for the nano cube. Im really considering running a pumpkin & OEBT mix in that thing :p

Awesome pictures! The colour contrast in the first pic just blows me away. I want that one as a poster! :applause:

haha' date=' thanks.

Thats manual focus straight out of the camera - The scale is thanks to my **** extension macro tubes, they work a treat but focus and DOF are a bit of a nightmare.

Crazy full res (5184 x 3456) you can see im a tad out with the focus: [url']http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3752/9092855838_3dd3cabc48_o.jpg

Slightly less crazy rez (2048 x 1365): http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3752/9092855838_8afc2251c6_k.jpg

I accidentally Blyxa.

This was sold as 'Dwarf Blyxa', I suspect its Blyxa Japonica though.

h8z4.jpg

893j.jpg

30 seconds after planting, this dude comes to check it out.

3iym.jpg

10 minutes later, it was pearling too... Hopefully I can keep it alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably due for an update.

Looks like i've lost 2 of my crystals. Down to my last one... Hardly little bugger still seems quite happy munchin away.

GOOD:

Got shrimplets - spotted 4 in the tank... Holy HELL! these guys are TINY.

HC is growing like a weed... Need to trim it once a week.

Blyxa seems to be taking off well

Misc Echindorus (i think) is shooting sprouts left and right. Im going to have to rip some of these out soon... its ridiculous.

Rotala Sp. Colorata appears to be going ok. Planted some cuttings which are growing alright.

BAD:

Snails are still a problem

2 presumed dead CRS

Thread/Hair algae :(

dust algae on glass :(

Rotala SP. Green doesn't seem to be doing so well... not sure what im doing wrong. Its just not vibrant and bushy.

THE ODD:

TDS is going DOWN?? I noticed the TDS was down to 150 the other day. Quite odd as my usual routine nets me a TDS of 180. Will have to keep an eye on that.

GH sitting at around 8 after ~ 8L WC

Would like to try and get my hands on some hardy crystals to replace the ones that didn't make it but not sure thats wise as I'm trying to save some pennies at the moment.

Once the new tank is set up I'll be breeding some more exotic shrimps (any suggestions?)

I've got some pretty amazing macro shots of the shrimps and shrimplets I'll try and upload tonight aswell!

Cheers mate!

Will head out that way in a few weeks once things are setup here! Very generous of you!

So, I just witnessed nature. Squiggles female endlers are a bunch of *****es.

There was shrimp having trouble moulting... Well, he's not having that problem anymore, the female endlers made sure to remove his skin and appendages for him... At one stage there was an endler with a shrimp as big as its body.. hanging from its mouth. :sorrow:

Oddly enough the neon tetras has ZERO interest in it. Male endlers didn't show much interest either.

The females appear to be quite strong hunters and have started rummaging through the blyxa :crushed:. Appear to be leaving the moving shrimps alone though which is good.

So heres hoping my cherry population starts kicking off soon and those shrimplets survive!

Thanks!

They are just insanely small. Its like playing wheres wally to find them (probably more like it with some CRS)