First 2ft Tank - DSM with Fissidens

chabbs

I recently acquired a 2nd hand 2ft tank, so I've decided to give the dry start method a go.

I've bought 2 pieces of Gold Vine and I've sprinkled chopped up Fissidens over them. I've wrapped glad wrap over the top of the tank and now I wait for few weeks and spray water onto it everyday to let it attach :)

nnS9PPm.jpg?1KbnQRaK.jpg?1

• HOF Member

Tank looks good, i love Gold Vine. Are you going to keep us updated Please?

Looks good Chabbs! I love the idea of this dry start method, but have never tried it myself.

Very keen to see how this turns out :)

How long do you leave it before filling with water?

From what I've read, it seems to range from 1 week to 1 month depending on how long I want to wait.

I reckon I'll flood it once I'm sure that the fissidens has attached. That way I can cycle the tank and have shrimp in there asap

Nice work dude, I can't wait to see how this turns out :victorious:

Thanks chabbs...Really interested to see how things go with the fissden DSM ...

Like the way you look outside the square...Keep us posted :victorious:

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I took some photos over the course of the previous week to see if there was any growth. Unfortunately, I couldn't see anything noticeable.

Day 5

Ba7bpMf.jpg?2

Day 7

eq99Sru.jpg?2

I got impatient. So I decided to flood the tank. I ended up washing off 30% of the attached fissidens. Most of the fissidens ended up attaching to the rougher parts of the driftwood and the thinner scrawnier bits. Its hard to see from this photo, but there's a nice sparse spread of it over the gold vine

Day 8

xVLNHc3.jpg?2

• 3 weeks later...

Day 14

The Fissidens is starting to grow quite nicely. There's some lush, bright green growth happening.

enrtcrJ.jpg?1BvRq8RL.jpg?1K33dawI.jpg?1

Day 24

The tank was fully cycled on day 18. So I added some Sunkist shrimp (courtesy of blindfisherman) and a pair of mischlings (from 2OFUS). The growth of the fissidens is steady and it's starting to cover the driftwood better.

kFljLHT.jpg?1WEmzfvC.jpg?2u2eIqF7.jpg?1

Awsome work. How long do u expect it too take to get a complete cover over the goldvine. Also im asuming that there is no co2.

Very nice! I love the look of the fissidens and will try that in my next tank. Is it easy to grow?

Awsome work. How long do u expect it too take to get a complete cover over the goldvine. Also im asuming that there is no co2.

I'm not sure if whether it will completely cover the goldvine. I'm not using any CO2 or fertilisers so it'd probably will take several months if that was to ever happen.

Very nice! I love the look of the fissidens and will try that in my next tank. Is it easy to grow?

Yeah it's very easy. Like most mosses, it grows really slow but it'll thrive on low light so it would be perfect for any setup

Have to agree with you there ninja, definitely my fav too, that & mini pelia :victorious:

Oh cool. I must get some of that! Such a cute plant :)

Really wish I wasn't going on holidays (kidding!)....I just want to set up a new tank NOW!