Do any Pure Black Lines or Pure Red Lines exist in Australia?

chabbs

I've been wondering how Japanese breeders have Crystal Shrimp with intense white and black/red colouration and found out that it was because they used Pure Black or Pure Red Lines. Do any of these exist in Australia? Or are they more exclusive to Asian breeders?

pure red/black is still the same shrimp just intense line breeding.

sure these can theoretically exist in australia but if you want the good stuff its gotta come from overseas without a doubt.

PBl and PRL are here in oz

expect to pay minimum $700 each

i also heard that some hectic pintos are here

but for $2000 each $&?@!

PBL and PRL lines as I understand are around but I'd also heard an A grade CRS was $200 a piece. So not a cheap line but if you can then selective breed through to SSS I'd be happy, worth it for the quality but also the challenge.

Several hobbyist have been selective breeding CRS & CBS for 3+ years to achieve the PRL/BL status. Seen some very nice PRL's, but in terms of quality and availability, we're still far behind the rest of the world.:-(

Thanks for the info guys. Hopefully one day I'll be able to get hold of some PRLs and PBLs for a nice price :)

• 4 weeks later...

So let me see if ive got this right if u selectively line breed your crs/cbs until maybe F6 then it is concidered a PRL.PBL? also curious about the line breeding process. I line breed my fancy goldfish and this is done by starting with two strong pairs crossing them with both pairs ie 4 spawns and then choosing the strongest two lines to go with. The ofspring are bread back to the parents and this is continued as u go through the generations. Is shrimp line breeding done in a similar way or is it more a case of starting with one pair and putting them in a tank and letting the colony build up from that one pair.

No don't do that it's too intensive to continue. You need a wide base to start with before you start inbreeding.

So let me see if ive got this right if u selectively line breed your crs/cbs until maybe F6 then it is concidered a PRL.PBL? also curious about the line breeding process. I line breed my fancy goldfish and this is done by starting with two strong pairs crossing them with both pairs ie 4 spawns and then choosing the strongest two lines to go with. The ofspring are bread back to the parents and this is continued as u go through the generations. Is shrimp line breeding done in a similar way or is it more a case of starting with one pair and putting them in a tank and letting the colony build up from that one pair.

Unfortunately, in Australia, it would take much longer than just F6 to achieve pure line status, toy knowledge, this is because of the inter breeding that occurred between Snow White shrimp to enhance the grade of the shrimp, but at the same time, it reduces the purity of the genotype... Correct me if I'm wrong though aha!

So when they say line breeding its more of a selective breeding programe. Start with the best u can find. Only keep babies that are equal or better quality than parents and keep repeating.

Yep, even with tigers you need at least 50 to start with, to make a new breed. With crystals i would say as many as you can from different lines or add new lines as pure as your own as you go along.

So when they say line breeding its more of a selective breeding programe. Start with the best u can find. Only keep babies that are equal or better quality than parents and keep repeating.

And TOTALLY free from Snow White and Golden genes!

Hoe do u go about removing the snow white or golden genes. Do u simply cull only the baby snow whites.goldens or do u cull all juvies from that batch and try to remove parents if possible

Find out if both or one parent produces white then stop using them, there is so much info online.

I believe you need to cross your original stock with goldens/snow whites and if you get no golden young then your originals are pure red or black and can be used to start of your program ....

It's an interesting question, how many generations before considered PTL or PBL, I have some that are probably F10 - F12 by now bu I would not consider them remotely close to PRL or PBL by any stretch of the imagination, a couple are looking good but not the rest and tank space is a premium and currently full

I believe you need to cross your original stock with goldens/snow whites and if you get no golden young then your originals are pure red or black and can be used to start of your program ....

That's the way i believe it works. And then the line breeding starts.

I am trying to but only 2 breeds into it... I try to mix and match a few different one and believe me I had the worst looking CBS in the world with good black markings and where they white is meant to be they were clear and they throw the some nice looking shrimp.. So What I am doing is keeping a huge group together and pulling out a couple to see what they throw and just keep on buying a couple every couple of month to add some fresh blood... I will get there might take me longer might happen in 6 months but It is all the fun of the hobby..

My recent travels in Asia really puts our shrimp quality here to shame. Just their standard red cherries are literally solid fire/painted reds. I'm talking about shiny thick red shells all the way down to every legs all for cheap prices.